For those who think we will solve holes in FA'cy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

For those who think we will solve holes in FA'cy

I'm looking at the projected salary cap- which increases 5% this season to $78 million-

........And I look at who's got the cap space- 20 teams with a Quarter Billion dollars of free cap space......

......And I look at the best free agents- I honestly beleive that there is enough cap room on most clubs to retain their better players.

OK- I can see some big names like Eddie George or Javon Kearse shaken loose from the Titans- but I think the Bills are in for a rude awakening if they expect to fill 2 or 3 big holes via FA's
    Attached Files
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I'm guessing the Bills will have to set aside $3-4 million for draft picks as well

Comment

• zone
      No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
      • Oct 2003

How about NE they are in trouble and Ty Law's contract is up.

I am just hopeing AW is out and Ty comes to play with his best friend Milloy!
      www.blzbus.com

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by zone
        How about NE they are in trouble and Ty Law's contract is up.

I am just hopeing AW is out and Ty comes to play with his best friend Milloy!
        it looks like the Pats are over the cap
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Stewie
          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
          • Aug 2002

Those numbers may be misleading. They don't take into account the number of players under contract.

For example, team A might have 20 million under the cap, but only 35 players under contract. Team B might have 8 million, but 55 players under contract. In this scenario, team B is (all other things equal) in much better cap shape than team A.
          Originally posted by Topdog
          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          I love Weiner.
          Originally posted by mercyrule
          also cheese

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

I could be mistaken, but I thought that Ty Law is still under contract, but will probably be cut due to cap restraints.

That could affect the time that he hits the market and may make it risky to plan our offseason around him.

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules
              I could be mistaken, but I thought that Ty Law is still under contract, but will probably be cut due to cap restraints.

That could affect the time that he hits the market and may make it risky to plan our offseason around him.
              He is under contract and with his play this year, unless the Pats pick up a top-flight CB, I doubt they would cut him unless they simply couldn't re-work his deal.
              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Bmax
                • Aug 2003

I don't expect the bills to go after big time free agents this season.. Look for them to redo some deals (drew,r. brown) then
                sign j. jennings and a schobel to contracts.. I think you could see a guard signed and maybe a vet cb to replace sidney on the roster.......

Bmax

Comment

• The_Philster
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bmax
                  I don't expect the bills to go after big time free agents this season.. Look for them to redo some deals (drew,r. brown) then
                  sign j. jennings and a schobel to contracts.. I think you could see a guard signed and maybe a vet cb to replace sidney on the roster.......

Bmax
                  I think Dainon Sidney is a non-factor. He was #5 on the depth chart behing McGee and Thomas

Comment

• zone
                    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                    • Oct 2003

Speaking of McGee he is one of the best athletes on the team, and played HUGE this year, he is only a rookie. If this years play is a tale of what's to come we definitly have something real special in TM.
                    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• BillsMan80
                      Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                      • Jul 2002

No we don't. McGee was a rookie. Let's not jump to conclusions. I'd much rather have Winfield back to start over McGee. Winfield is a proven corner, and excellent in both run and pass coverage. Teams do not attack him very much. I'd much rather go into next season with Winfield over an unproven McGee.
                      The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                      THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• socalfan
                        Old Fogey from Cali
                        • Feb 2003

I'm edging towards a draft pick or McGee to take over for winfield.

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

Look, I'm all for us upgrading over Winfield and signing one of the top CB's available ... but if we're not getting one of them, no way do I think we should let AW walk.

I think Winfield is overrated by some around here, but he's still an above average starting corner ... whereas McGee is a nickelback who had a few good games. Maybe if Winfield became a FA after next season and McGee had played a full season and done a good job, I'd feel differently.

Comment

• socalfan
                            Old Fogey from Cali
                            • Feb 2003

I think AW won't be willing to accept a contract that TD would be willing to propose.

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by socalfan
                              I think AW won't be willing to accept a contract that TD would be willing to propose.
                              I dunno ... we have cap room and when TD sets his mind to acquiring a FA, he seems to get it done (Spikes, Posey, Teague, Milloy come to mind). IMO, Winfield seems to be the first of our home-grown free agents that's hitting the market and is worth retaining ... so maybe it'll be different for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X