Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Draft Thoughts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2003 Draft Thoughts

Colin Lindsay runs the Great Blue North Draft Report website. He just wrote up an interesting article on the 2003 draft. He says basically that while there are a lot of players who carry first round grades (40-50 collegians likely to be in the draft could carry 1st round grades) apart from Michigan State Jr. WR Charles Rogers who has emerged as close to a consensus #1 pick things are as fluid as they've ever been with players moving quickly up and down the boards as they have good or not so notable games. The gist of it from my perspective as a Bills fan is that picking in the second round (later rather than sooner being an increasing possibility) this is the best possible scenario. A good player might slip to the Bills under these circumstances. Tom Donahoe is better equipped than most people to snatch a good player who has slipped.

Conversely Cincinnati, which looks like they will have a very high pick, and which buys a $7 copy of the Sporting New Draft Guide instead of employing a staff of scouts (just kidding, but only a little) could easily muff a pick in the top 5.

Here is the link for the Great Blue North Draft Report article.

http://www.cyberus.ca/~lindsay/scoutsnotebook.htm

By the way, it looks like NE's extra first round pick continues to drop LOL. Ironically, the better the trade for DB works out for Buffalo, the worse it looks fro NE in terms of their resulting draft pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Who cares? We're gonna have the #32 pick in the second round, lets worry about it then.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Cincy is going to take Byron Leftwich, i had The ravens taking him, but it looks like they are gonna almost be Playoff contenders this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    no way cincy gambles on another QB

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Cas, they have no choice. Unless Akili, Gus, or Jon do something miraculous there, they have to go for another QB. Whether it be FA or the draft. They need someone who can lead that offense, especially with Dillon threatening to retire.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    not with Mike Brown in charge.....Klingler, A.Smith, Ki-Jana Carter, Warrick.....they will take as close to a can't miss as possible

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think he'll take Leftwich, if he doesn't he's a complete moron. Dillon threatening to retire should make him hire a GM or something.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    IF cincy has the #1 pick- they should go for Rogers first. (Or trade it down).

This is a rich draft for QBs. they can do very well drafting a QB in the second rd or later.

Take the lead from San Diego- They gave up Vick for Tomlinson, Dwight, and I think Reche Caldwell this season, and they got Drew Brees in the 2nd.

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    that's what happened dozer, it was one move butler was very smart on. Yes, he gave up vick, but he got several good players out of the deal and now they are a contender.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I'd take the WR....there will be some descent QBs on the market. Kordell Stewart anyone?

Drew and Sam stole all my hair WG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    D-E-F-E-N-S-E!!!

Rounds 2-5!!!

DDDDDD
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I am still not so sure that San Diego made out the best on that deal, I think when you get a chance do draft a player that will change this game so much you must act on it. It would be like not taking Wilt Chamberlin.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Anybody heard of Bernard Berrian from Fresno State?

I used to play football in the street with him when I lived in Winton (right next to Atwater) - lived across the street, and down like two houses from him.

Do you think he'll go in the first round in next year's draft (not the one that the Patriots get our first rounder in, but the one after that - he's saving his eligibility to play for them since he got hurt this year).

Thoughts?
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    id take Greg Gathers - DE(Georgia Tech as our 2nd round pick) He was supposed to be a first rounder but had kidney problems and is out for the year. He is The Yellow Jackets all time sack leader although he is a little bit undersized. He's like Gbaja Biamila or whatever his name is From the Packers but a little bigger. He would be awesome at definite pass plays, he would be a real threat. And then go for A DT in free Agency and resign Chidi for one year until gathers develops into an every down player.

Georgia tech's TONY HOLLINGS also had the NCAA Leading rusher until he tore something and is out for the season. He actually gets to 120-130 yards until halftime and 3 - 4 touchdown and then they'd sit him and get the reserve playing cuz they would have the game in their hands. But we dont need a running back right? wrong, when Bryson is gone after this season we will definately need a young running back to back up Henry and if we could back him up with a stud then thats :fabulous:
    For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think it would be funny if we drafted all offense.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Wys head would explode.

Drew's my hero!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I love draft time. As far as the SD Vick trade goes, I think both teams did very well. ATL and Reeves are doing exactly the right thing with Vick, and LT and friends are good for SD. A trade can be good for both teams, the teams have different needs.

clumping platelets
    Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
    Wys head would explode.

Maybe we can get JJamez to make a video of that :)

clumping platelets
    I really feel the draft should be used to upgrade depth and overall team speed. The salary cap is NOT a hindrance to re-signing ANY of our FAs(UFA or RFA). Free Agency can be the avenue utilized to address the major concern on the DL, be it LDT or LDE.

Bills are in a position to take the "best player available". My belief is that, TD uses FA to add a quality DL and re-sign Peerless (who BTW may be looking for Moulds' type $$). As stated above, focus on depth and team speed. The defense especially needs more at LB. Future FA concerns at CB(Winfield) and OL(Jennings and Sullivan) necessitate drafting an OL for development and another key: WE WILL NOT BE GETTING ANY COMP PICKS IN 2003!!!!!!!! Our UFAs signed >>>>>> UFAs lost, thus NO COMP PICKS

My early draft:

2) DE Michael Haynes(Penn St) 6'3" 295: Haynes is a LDE with Penn. St and has the size to be an every down DE. He's strong vs. the run and has above average pass-rushing skills. However, he's likely to go higher than mid 2nd but he would be my pick here.

3) LB Eddie Strong(Ole Miss) 6'3 1/2" 245: Versatile. Can play all LB'ing positions in 4-3 set. Solid vs. run

4) FS Willie Pile(Va Tech) 6'2" 205: Has played both safety spots and some CB vs. bigger WR. Has strong special teams background because Va Tech has THE best special teams in the NCAA. Big hitter that can develop while contributing on ST

5) G/T Bryan Anderson(Pittsburgh) 6'5" 300: Versatile OL. Has played primarily G this season, but has some experience at T.

6) CB Mike Lehan(Minnesota) 5'11" 194: can run 4.4 40 and is solid special teams player as well as cover CB. Not a great run supporter but could fill a nickel or dime role on D

7) WR Michael Hayes(Southern) 6'3" 205: Suffered season ending knee injury early in 2001 season. Was likely to enter 2002 draft as junior and would have been a day one pick. Hasn't rebounded completely from injury which will likely hurt draft status. Could be a developmental type

The above scenario changes if Price leaves as FA or myriad of other things happens.

:)

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I asked Ingtar earlier this month after the Raider defensive debacle to look at the Bill's weaknesses and to compare that to what is available in the draft.

He said that the 2002 draft was MUCH deeper than the 2003 draft on defense. However, the 2002 draft was weak at Linebacker, and the 2003 draft is very strong and deep at that position.

Projecting that we will get a pick somewhere around 45-55, the early prediction is that the Bills go for linebacker.

It fills an immediate need with the best available player. Iagree with clump, that we wiill go after a DL or two in FA.