X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Donahoe facing tough decisions on three linemen

The tough decisions never stop crossing the desk of an NFL general manager.
    Buffalo Bills President and GM Tom Donahoe still has some headaches in his in box, even though his roster is fairly set for this season.

What do the Bills do about their three starting linemen set to become free agents after the 2004 campaign? Left tackle Jonas Jennings, right defensive end Aaron Schobel and defensive tackle Pat Williams are entering the final year of their contracts.

Drew Bledsoe's contract extension opened enough salary cap room this year to get a new deal with one of the three veterans and still leave the required cap cushion for the regular season. The Bills have made initial contract proposals to all three. League sources say the Bills have made it clear they have enough space to extend only one deal.

Left tackle and right defensive end happen to be two of the most expensive positions in football. Jennings and Schobel will be 27 this fall, Williams will be 32. In order to get Jennings, Schobel or Williams to take themselves off the market a year early, the Bills are going to have to make a strong commitment to them.

• BillsFanInMass
    The Stoner Zoner
    • Feb 2003

i hope we can keep Williams and Jennings either loss could hurt us badly

Comment

• ScottLawrence
      • Jan 2004

Let Jennings walk.... Try and sign Williams and Schobel to an extension.
      Last edited by ScottLawrence; 05-16-2004, 09:37 AM.
      You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

i think jennings might test Free Agency if he has an above average season.schobel is a priority.i hope PW stays.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
          • Jan 2004

Is it possible to sign all 3?

Comment

• TypicalBill
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
            Is it possible to sign all 3?
            Yes, but not in one offseason.. we'd probably be able to sign one of the young guys and/or Pat this season.

Clump and Eb should have a better answer to this.
            For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

i agree.. schobel is clearly the biggest priority here.

i think pat will stay.

i think jennings is going to want too much money based on what idiots like chicago and texas paid right tackles.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

Sam Adams will be FA too. Is he a priority? He's actually younger than Pat...isn't he?

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                  • Jan 2004

Sam Adams wont be a FA for another 3 years.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

I thought Sam's deal was 2 years? Of course, I could be thinking of something else.

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

Adams' deal was for 4 years.
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

I think the main focus should be Schoebel. I don't know about Williams, I guess it depends on what free agent DT are available this off season. You have to remember 32 is pretty old for a 350 pound DT who's knees are due to snap any game now. I'm not saying Pat is not good anymore, but if he is going to command alot of $$ we have to think hard on whether he's worth it or not.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                          I think the main focus should be Schoebel. I don't know about Williams, I guess it depends on what free agent DT are available this off season. You have to remember 32 is pretty old for a 350 pound DT who's knees are due to snap any game now. I'm not saying Pat is not good anymore, but if he is going to command alot of $$ we have to think hard on whether he's worth it or not.

Pat hasn't had any injuries as far as I know. Adams is the one who should be let go if we had to choose between the two.

Comment

• casdhf
                            • Jul 2002

I think Schobel is top priority, followed by Jennings. Pat Williams is very good and loves Buffalo. Hopefully we could re-sign him at market value minus a home down discount.
                            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• The Natrix
                              • Jul 2002

Schobes is definitely priority #1. I doubt TD lets him get away.

I think Jennings will be gone.

I think Pat likes it here and he won't be getting huge offers from other teams at 32-33.

I'm thinking Schobes gets an extension soon, Pat is signed for a surprisingly cheap deal next year

...and Jennings goes to the Fins.

Byrd.

Comment

Working...
                              X