I am still a little skeptical about our defense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

I am still a little skeptical about our defense.

They were a solid defense last year but I think the number 2 ranking last year was a little bit misleading. Some teams really lit them up and other teams will probably try to follow the same gameplan to exploit them. We also did nothing to address our pashrush which was and is still very anemic. Hopefully the maturation of our younger players like Dennehy will help that somewhat. For me the jury is still out on our defense to do what they accomplished last year for a second year in a row.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

• The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

I am not worried with our young DE's getting more experience and with Milloy having a year in this defense with the addition of Troy Vincent will only help.

Comment

• bills_7
      TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
      • Mar 2004

our D was also ask to do too much last yr......

maybe this yr if our OFF can get it together our D may jump up to #1

Comment

• tomdonahoe
        • May 2004

The main problem with our "D" last year was the lack of turnovers. As much I hate to see Winfield go I think Vincent will be an upgrade in terms of turnovers and big plays. Becasue of that reason I think the Bills (will) choose to pay Clements the big $ instead of Winfield. Clements has a knack to make big plays and Winfield didn't. (Also age and height)

I'm concerned about our nickel set. McGee had a great rookie year but that sophmore slump comes up on alot of guys just ask Kevin Thomas. I was hoping the Bills would have signed Cousin when he visited.
        Tommy D.
        The Voice of Reason

Comment

• mchurchfie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tomdonahoe
          The main problem with our "D" last year was the lack of turnovers. As much I hate to see Winfield go I think Vincent will be an upgrade in terms of turnovers and big plays. Becasue of that reason I think the Bills (will) choose to pay Clements the big $ instead of Winfield. Clements has a knack to make big plays and Winfield didn't. (Also age and height)

I'm concerned about our nickel set. McGee had a great rookie year but that sophmore slump comes up on alot of guys just ask Kevin Thomas. I was hoping the Bills would have signed Cousin when he visited.
          Good points. I really think that Vincent will help us to forget Winfield fairly easy also.
          My Band
          daveviterna.com

Comment

• McBFLO
            • Mar 2003

Im confident that McGee will step up and produce in the nickel spot. The competition between he and Thomas should ensure that at least one of them gets the job done. I'm wondering how Gray will put his stamp on this defense.
            Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
              • Jul 2002

I am too. Personnel wise, we are break-even from last year. I don't see Vincent as an upgrade to Winfield by any means.

I’m most anxious about the coaching. What will Gray do without William’s and Labou’s influences.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

The Bills aren't "break-even." They added 6 new starters to the defense last year, and having a year together will make the entire defense tighter this year. Milloy will have a full training camp and pre-season, Kelsay and McGee will have their rookie years behind them, and depth at DT will be MUCH better than last year. I happen to think Vincent will be an upgrade over Winfield, for at least a year or two. However where I'm still concerned is FS, since I don't see Wire as a starting-caliber FS.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                  • Jul 2002

I agree, but those are all intangibles gooby.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone

I’m most anxious about the coaching. What will Gray do without William’s and Labou’s influences.
                    I agree, I am not totally sold on Gray either. Sacks and tornovers are the name the game and we lacked sorely in both departments. Our ranking was a little overflated by some less meaningful stats.
                    My Band
                    daveviterna.com

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

Exactly. They have been terrible throughout Gray's tenure.

Comment

• bills_7
                        TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
                        • Mar 2004

we were last an almost every turnover stat...... i think alot of it has to do with the pass rush and maybe our D jst wasnt aggressive enough

does anyone have an answer to this?

do u think gray will be able to fix this problem with out giving up alot of yrds?

last season we didnt give up the yrds but we didnt get turnovers so is it asking to much to have both work in our favour
                        Last edited by bills_7; 05-27-2004, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• McBFLO
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by billsfanone
                          Exactly. They have been terrible throughout Gray's tenure.
                          They weren't all that great under Phillips either when he was here. Turnovers have been a problem with this D for quite a while now.
                          Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• mchurchfie
                            • Jul 2002

I remember the one year when they were the middle of the pack or less in defensive ranking and number one in turnovers. They went to the SB that year.
                            My Band
                            daveviterna.com

Comment

• B-DON
                              hi
                              • Mar 2004

our defense will be stellar again. vincent adds a few more turnovers and hopefully this year when we blitz that we can actually get to the qb to sack him

Comment

Working...
                              X