Thread: Bills tough guy Henry needs more respect

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills tough guy Henry needs more respect

Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry has to be one of the most underrated and underappreciated pro athletes today.
    Henry has rushed for 1,438 yards and 1,356 yards in the past two seasons. He also has caught 71 passes for 467 yards and scored 25 TDs over that span. He reduced his fumbles from eight in 2002 to three last season.

Yet when “experts” rate the NFL's running backs, Henry seldom cracks the top 10.
    ...more

Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker Throne Logic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Henry is easily one of my favorite Bills going into this season. As much as I'd like to See WM do well, I'm pulling for Henry to do that much better.

Definitely under-rated. In part this is due to the fumbling. If he can further limit the fumbles this season and put up 1200+ yards while sharing time with WM, we'll see that label disappear for TH.
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    No doubt. Last year he played with hurt ribs and a broken leg and he deserves the recognition.

"Let's Roll"
    Todd Beamer
    Flight 93
    9/11/01

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Call me when he becomes an elite back not a fringe pro bowler.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Fringe Pro Bowl player? You and Rick been doing bongers together?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Thailog80
    Fringe Pro Bowl player? You and Rick been doing bongers together?

seriously though can you really argue that he's an elite running back like Portis? A threat to break one and use his speed to outrun the defenders? Hell of all 1000 yard backs he avg like 4th worst ypc, and people here were calling for him to get more carries. I dont wanna hear excuses about the blocking not being good bc I think its bs, the run blocking for the most part was good just not the pass.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    It's a tough call. I think he's on par with any back in the league, depending on what you're looking for. Portis has a career average of 5.5 ypc which is just sick. Ricky Williams (god rest his soul) is at 4 even. Henry's career ypc is 4.1, Shaun Alexander 4.3, etc.. Henry will never have the homerun speed of Portis. But, Henry is a much more powerful back who's also more durable. Note that Henry had 41 more carries than Portis last season and 52 more carries the year before when they both played 16 games. Henry did play 15 last year versus Portis' 13, but that's my exact point. A cracked fibula and torn rib cart are both pretty painful, yet he only missed 1 game. He's also 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds heavier. I'd love a hybrid of both to be honest. That very well could be McGahee. 4.3 speed after the knee injury and at 6' - 230lbs. he's not exactly tiny. I'm not saying that Henry's better than Portis. What I'm saying is that different players fit different teams/schemes. It's really a matter of the coaches figuring out what system works best for each player.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Very good post TedMock! Although id say Portis is a better back in every way imaginable to Henry, there really is no comparison in my mind, Although Portis is more shimmy and shake to Henry's head down drive forward.

Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls Bill Brasky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by DraftBoy
    Very good post TedMock! Although id say Portis is a better back in every way imaginable to Henry, there really is no comparison in my mind, Although Portis is more shimmy and shake to Henry's head down drive forward.
    What should also be noted is that every single running back that has played in Denver the past few seasons has done well... obviously their staff/players know how to effectively put together a game plan that allows for any back to do well, as TedMock somewhat said. Let's see how Portis does this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    TH is a very good RB and is without question a starting calibre back. Once he gets the fumbling under control (something a starting back simply can't do) then he will be really solid.

But an elite back he will never be.

He just doesn't have the physical tools to do it. No great moves, average speed and is not overly powerful either (strong, yes...but he doesn't run right over people very often either).

But I will say this - I was not screaming for a new RB when TD picked up Willis. I would have been perfectly happy with TH going into the season. I don't think I need to tell you which position I was screaming to upgrade.

But now that we do have a "potentially" elite back, I'm more excited about our future. Take a look at most successful teams (including the SB Bills) and you have the triplets. We may actually have that again with JP/Willis/Evans and it gets me pumped just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 07-28-2004 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by TedMock
    It's a tough call. I think he's on par with any back in the league, depending on what you're looking for. Portis has a career average of 5.5 ypc which is just sick. Ricky Williams (god rest his soul) is at 4 even. Henry's career ypc is 4.1, Shaun Alexander 4.3, etc.. Henry will never have the homerun speed of Portis. But, Henry is a much more powerful back who's also more durable. Note that Henry had 41 more carries than Portis last season and 52 more carries the year before when they both played 16 games. Henry did play 15 last year versus Portis' 13, but that's my exact point. A cracked fibula and torn rib cart are both pretty painful, yet he only missed 1 game. He's also 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds heavier. I'd love a hybrid of both to be honest. That very well could be McGahee. 4.3 speed after the knee injury and at 6' - 230lbs. he's not exactly tiny. I'm not saying that Henry's better than Portis. What I'm saying is that different players fit different teams/schemes. It's really a matter of the coaches figuring out what system works best for each player.
    great post. i love henry.. but i am excited about willis too!
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by DraftBoy
    Call me when he becomes an elite back not a fringe pro bowler.
    Like that Amish kid in Kingpin?

Drew's my hero!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    i think our line is a very very good run blocking line, and our ability to pass (even though it netted out to crap last year) lets the RB get a few more shots at good runs.

willis behind our line and a bit of a passing threat might make us forget henry real quick, i bet he will have some defining run that makes jaws drop and goes for 6 pretty early in the season