X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bledsoe is not today’s QB

Last week I took Secrets of an NFL Scout, a book by the late Tony Razzano, and gave you Part 1 of a scrumptious soufflé of insights into the specific qualities that make good NFL players. It focused on defense. This week, I focus on offense and examine five Bills, just in time for training camp at St. John Fisher.

Quarterbacks

A quarterback needs arm strength and must have good throwing velocity. He needs to deliver the deep ball fast and accurately. He should have escapability --- a feel for when to step into the pocket and throw or when to shuffle and buy time. He has to read a play on the run, and should have a quick set-up, which is the time it takes to receive the snap, drop back, and throw.

On short throws, he should be precise and have a high completion percentage. He needs to easily locate secondary receivers, and must have good judgment and pocket poise.

Rochester, New York's source for arts, music, events listings and culture, on the web and in print every month. Offering alternative news since 1971.
  • saviorbledsoe
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jul 2003

Was just waiting for someone to post the article. Let the horse beating begin!

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
      Was just waiting for someone to post the article. Let the horse beating begin!
      Sorry man I'm just posting the news.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

I do disagree however that Bledsoe isn't good at play action him and Ben Coates would thrive off that every year. They say Bledsoe has gotten slower with hsi movemenets well he was never fast to begin with so I'm not sure how much of adifference there is now.

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jul 2003

Not your fault. Just the numbnuts who couldnt have the smarts and imagination to come up with something better to write about than yesterdays news. I wonder if a certain negative nancy finally got a real writing job?????? :)

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
            I do disagree however that Bledsoe isn't good at play action him and Ben Coates would thrive off that every year. They say Bledsoe has gotten slower with hsi movemenets well he was never fast to begin with so I'm not sure how much of adifference there is now.
            he looked a little slow later in the year last year but that could have been that he was CONCUSSED! I think some people forget that Moulds and Henry werent the only injuries.

Comment

• Bulldog
              Top Dog
              • Jan 2003

I'm not as in love with Bledsoe as some people, but that whole article was terrible.
              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Pride
                • Jul 2002

I agree. As articles go, that was a pathetic attempt at writing.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

Mark Campbell said that we didn't have one play action in the entire playbook last season. That means that this article is partly based on a few years ago. Bledsoe also made a name for himself as a QB because of play action and arm strength. Don't get me wrong, the guy also has some very notable faults, but the article loses validity when it discounts things the player is obviously good at.

Comment

• bledslow
                    • May 2004

bledsoe known for his playaction,good lord im gonna take that as a joke-CAUSE IT REALLY HAD TO BE.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bledslow
                      bledsoe known for his playaction,good lord im gonna take that as a joke-CAUSE IT REALLY HAD TO BE.
                      No it's a fact as 5 of us in this thread seem to recall it.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
                        Not your fault. Just the numbnuts who couldnt have the smarts and imagination to come up with something better to write about than yesterdays news. I wonder if a certain negative nancy finally got a real writing job?????? :)
                        Why is it always wys when someone writes a non-Drew worshipping article?

This article, albeit short, is very accurate:

1. Drew IS slow and has gotten slower. Fact.
                        2. Drew is NOT a very accurate passer (57%). Fact.
                        3. Drew does NOT show very good poise in the pocket. Fact.
                        4. Drew has ZERO escapability. Fact.
                        5. Drew has a strong arm. Fact

As for play action, the author nailed that as well:

"Watch Jets QB Chad Pennington to see how fakes should work."

100% agree.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

I like Drew, but not enough to have a great deal of bias. If it works out..good, if not..he's gone anyway. I don't like the "Drew worship" articles either. The problem is even worse on the other side, though. People are blinded by media hype, but others have to make constant remarks, articles, etc. that just continuously beat the crap out of him. That's just as bad. It's like these people that are voting for Kerry because they don't like Bush. It's the "anybody but him" thing that kills me. How about "why the alternative is better?" That's what I'd like to see from both sides. I've said it before...Bledsoe has some serious weaknesses...no doubt about it. There are some things he does well too. This is year 3, so it's do or die for him. It actually works out well for us because the alternative isn't quite ready according the people much closer to him than I am.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Ted - I agree that there has been a sentiment from people (including me) that "anybody" would be better than Drew. I was always of the mindset that we could get a journeyman vet at less than half his cost to perform just as well. But anyway, since we now have our future in JP (hopefully), it is just a matter of when not if we will get better.

IMO, the primary reasons for the frustrations are cost and time.

Cost - he is and never was worth the insane amount of cash we paid and are still paying him.

Time - we've been watching the QB position rot since Kelly left in '96 and it's time to make changes.

This is why many get frustrated with the fact that Drew is still behind center. We're tired of being weak at that position and paying through the nose at the same time. You wouldn't see all these articles if this were about another position on the team, or if it was about a journeyman QB making $1M. You see these articles because of Drew's "mirage" of being an elite QB, while not performing like one.

Anyway, not to worry. It will all be over next year. The 3 year Tour of Drew will become just a memory, much like the memory of all the other failed QBs since Kelly left.

Comment

• buffmaniac
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                              Ted - I agree that there has been a sentiment from people (including me) that "anybody" would be better than Drew. I was always of the mindset that we could get a journeyman vet at less than half his cost to perform just as well. But anyway, since we now have our future in JP (hopefully), it is just a matter of when not if we will get better.

IMO, the primary reasons for the frustrations are cost and time.

Cost - he is and never was worth the insane amount of cash we paid and are still paying him.

Time - we've been watching the QB position rot since Kelly left in '96 and it's time to make changes.

This is why many get frustrated with the fact that Drew is still behind center. We're tired of being weak at that position and paying through the nose at the same time. You wouldn't see all these articles if this were about another position on the team, or if it was about a journeyman QB making $1M. You see these articles because of Drew's "mirage" of being an elite QB, while not performing like one.

Anyway, not to worry. It will all be over next year. The 3 year Tour of Drew will become just a memory, much like the memory of all the other failed QBs since Kelly left.
                              We'll see.

Tom Donahoe, Tom Modrak, Mike Mularkey, Tom Clements, and Sam Wyche all seem to think that in the right situation Drew will succeed.

And the truth is that Drew is pretty much the same QB he has always been. An immobile strong armed pocket-passer. And in the right system with good coaching like he had earlier in his career under Parcells, Drew can be a very good QB. The only difference now may be that Drew is more experienced, more mature, and smarter than he was when he was younger.

I'm telling you with the changes we have made offensively Drew is going to surprise you with a very good year. You'll see.
                              Last edited by buffmaniac; 07-29-2004, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X