Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennington signs 7 year contract extension

Exhausted of Losing BillsRockSOMUCH's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pennington signs 7 year contract extension

Chad Pennington agreed to a $64 million, seven-year contract extension with the New York Jets on Wednesday that includes $23 million in guaranteed money.

A source familiar with the negotiations, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Pennington will average $9.172 million a year. The quarterback, entering his fifth season, also receives the second-largest amount of up-front money, behind only Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, who got a $34.5 million signing bonus earlier this year. The total value of Pennington's deal is $64.197 million.

More...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Smart move IMO. Pennington is special and you can't let a QB like that get away from you. For some perspective, since Kelly left we've had 2 winning seasons in 7 years.

I think the Jets are going to be a major pain in the ass over the next bunch of years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cynical
    Smart move IMO. Pennington is special and you can't let a QB like that get away from you. For some perspective, since Kelly left we've had 2 winning seasons in 7 years.

I think the Jets are going to be a major pain in the ass over the next bunch of years.
    Yep.

9 million a year is a lot to pay him and, they still have to sign there other top free agents next year.(Ellis, Abraham, Jordan, Becht, McKenzie)
    You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottLawrence
    Yep.

9 million a year is a lot to pay him and, they still have to sign there other top free agents next year.(Ellis, Abraham, Jordan, Becht, McKenzie)
    Exactly and that is why the Jets, Colts and a few others who pump so much money into 1 player they won't be able to go out in FA and make some acquisitions that could help them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaz
    Exactly and that is why the Jets, Colts and a few others who pump so much money into 1 player they won't be able to go out in FA and make some acquisitions that could help them.

Well, Jets will have plenty of cap room next year.(Something around 25 Million before the Pennington signing so, now they probably have around 14 Million.) I don't think thats enough to sign both there top DE's and there best Tackle in McKenzie.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    That is true, I agree expect I'd hardly call Becht a top free agent.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Well, Jets will have plenty of cap room next year.(Something around 25 Million before the Pennington signing so, now they probably have around 14 Million.) I don't think thats enough to sign both there top DE's and there best Tackle in McKenzie.
    I wonder whether they'd rather sign Ellis or Abraham...I don't know if they'll be able to keep both.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsRockSOMUCH
    I wonder whether they'd rather sign Ellis or Abraham...I don't know if they'll be able to keep both.
    I'd rather go for Abraham considering how great of a pass rusher he is when healthy.... But, I think they'll go for Ellis who is better in the run and slightly worse rushing the passer which isn't a bad thing.

Maybe they can sign both... but, I doubt it.

McKenzie is also one hell of a Tackle and, Jordan is probably there future running back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    The Jets are already working on a deal with Ellis.

John Abraham has too many off-field incidents and injuries that they are going to let the year play out. And maybe Franchise-tag him or McKenzie when the season is up.

Kareem McKenzie is as good as gone anyway, his agents are the Postons.

Becht sucks, and there are plenty of RB's available to draft along the line to eventually replace Martin.

The deal isn't really that bad if you look at it, it certainly doesn't handcuff there future. Although they probably cant go out and sign Chris McAlister they have plenty of space, like $14 million more just for '05.

Is that even including the fact that the cap might be raised again? Probably not, so there you go.

You also have to consider a rookie got a $20 million dollar signing bonus, having never taken a down in the NFL or won a game. Pennington in 02' showed he could lead a team with a subpar cast deep into the playoffs, fair market value. You dont let franchise QBs walk away.
    Last edited by Icer; 09-01-2004 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Considering Indy's record with Manning I would argue it was/is worth it. As for Pennington only time will tell, but given what I've seen of him I have little doubt he will take the Jets to the next level.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Yeah, it's defintely worth paying a QB like Manning or Pennigton. When you have a QB that needs all the pieces around him perfect in order to have success, increased costs are incurred on those said pieces. However, the resulting offensive production is usually about the same or worse compared to a Manning or Pennington type offensive philosophy. Look at all the great offenses in history. They were all lead by pretty damn good QBs. I don't buy the whole "the QB is just 1/11 of the offense thing" whereas I think on defense each position has about the same importance. Okay, now I'm just rambling.
    Last edited by The Natrix; 09-01-2004 at 10:38 PM.

Byrd.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    We'll find out how good Manning is when he loses Harrison and or James.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Considering Indy's record with Manning I would argue it was/is worth it. As for Pennington only time will tell, but given what I've seen of him I have little doubt he will take the Jets to the next level.
    Yes he has a good record but the ultimate goal is the SB. Will he be able to lead th eteam to the SB with no help around him?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by The Natrix
    Yeah, it's defintely worth paying a QB like Manning or Pennigton. When you have a QB that needs all the pieces around him perfect in order to have success, increased costs are incurred on those said pieces.
    Good point. The trick is to avoid paying a QB that kind of money AND still needing to surround him with the perfect pieces. I won't mention any names but I think you can figure out a good example of that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Good point. The trick is to avoid paying a QB that kind of money AND still needing to surround him with the perfect pieces. I won't mention any names but I think you can figure out a good example of that.
    Also it is known 1 player doesn't make a team or lead them to victory.:wink:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Favre has never led a team to victory?

Pennington made that Jets O two years ago. The O blew with Vinny in there with the same guys.

Plug Pennington in Buffalo's offense, and this team is a lock to make the playoffs and maybe even considered a superbowl contender.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Yes and no. Agreed, it is a team sport so if the team sucks a great QB will not be able to make them good. But that is the extreme case. If you put a great QB on an average team, he can elevate them to the next level and inspire them to play better than they could before, both mentally and physically. So in effect, 1 player can lead a team to victory.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by The Natrix
    Favre has never led a team to victory?

Pennington made that Jets O two years ago. The O blew with Vinny in there with the same guys.

Plug Pennington in Buffalo's offense, and this team is a lock to make the playoffs and maybe even considered a superbowl contender.
    I'm pretty sure that Favre had a good team to work with there defense was pretty good and Desmond Howard got the SB MVP. I know Favre is great but he'll tell you it's a team game. As far as Pennington he's 9-12 as a starter so far, yes he can get better but giving him this contact is putting a lot on him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Yes and no. Agreed, it is a team sport so if the team sucks a great QB will not be able to make them good. But that is the extreme case. If you put a great QB on an average team, he can elevate them to the next level and inspire them to play better than they could before, both mentally and physically. So in effect, 1 player can lead a team to victory.
    Take away the NE defense or Belicek does Brady lead the team to victory? That's why football is the ultimate team game and nobody is goign to prove to me otherwise. Another point as great as John Elway was he never wo a SB until Denver got Terrell Davis and Dan Marino may have won a SB if he had a Good RB. I will be hollerin galong with everybody else if bledsoe sucks but until he shows me that I have confidence in him for this upcoming season.
    Last edited by The Spaz; 09-01-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I'm pretty sure that Favre had a good team to work with there defense was pretty good and Desmond Howard got the SB MVP. I know Favre is great but he'll tell you it's a team game. As far as Pennington he's 9-12 as a starter so far, yes he can get better but giving him this contact is putting a lot on him.
    9-12? It's 12-9

Plus you have to consider why the stats are so bad from last year. The Redskins offseason fiasco, add on top of that, that Conway (the supposed Coles replacement) couldn't catch a ball, Chrebet went down with concussions, John Abraham missed like 10 games, Josh Evans got suspended for the whole season, and the Defense was old and slow.

It's shocking when you consider there 10 losses was like by an average of 6-7 points, so it's not like they were blown out even with all the problems.

He had a great 2002 record. 9-4 (including the 2 playoff games) was it? With the highest passer rating in the NFL.
    Last edited by The Spaz; 09-01-2004 at 10:58 PM.