Thread: Final Word-Ruff and Regier are nothing without Hasek

Football-Sport of the Gods Buffarama's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Final Word-Ruff and Regier are nothing without Hasek

I write this at the end of the 2nd.
    This is a poorly coached team, filled with players poorly put together by a poor GM, many of whom can't play in Rochester.
    A house cleaning is clearly in order.
    Ruff, Regier, entire coaching staff and scouting dept, and about 4-6 players. Ruff and Regier are NOTHING without Hasek.
    This all has to happen soon.
    This is the worst Sabre team I have ever seen since the Sabres became a team. The amazing thing is they think they're playing well, but have lacked a few "breaks".
    And BTW, I have always said that Mika is better than Marty, and still stand by it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Nolan was nothing without Hasek either.

The sad fact is this : Hasek was the whole team for Nolan and Ruff. That's why he won so many Vezina/MVP awards. He carried that team year after year.

He was like the Dan Marino of the NHL- he was so good he made his crummy team very competitive. When he was on his game, he made everyone in front of him look better than they were. The Sabres were a bunch of muckers in front of an all-world goalie. The result? Title contenders.

Now they're a bunch of muckers in fronto of an OK NHL goalie, not all-world, not an all-star (yet anyways). The result? A bad record.

Just don't give Nolan any more credit thatn he deserves- he had the same benfit as Ruff- Hasek at the top of his game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Buffarama
    I have always said that Mika is better than Marty, and still stand by it.
    I agree.

I also agree that this team has been put together poorly and that it needs to be taken apart and redone from top to bottom.

And judge, I do think that Hasek made Nolan a better coach, but I also think the players were more behind Nolan and his philosophy and showed it with the intensity they played with on the ice. Ruff has lost that part of the game. He can't get this team motivated.
    See me here pushing you
    If I then deny I do
    Contemplate or wish away
    If I ask you not to stay

BFZ Hockey Commissioner Don Cherry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    It's just lip service now.

Is there any ex-sabre defensemen that have not gone behind the bench yet?

Get Morris Titanic's phone number!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by MissBuffalo

And judge, I do think that Hasek made Nolan a better coach, but I also think the players were more behind Nolan and his philosophy and showed it with the intensity they played with on the ice. Ruff has lost that part of the game. He can't get this team motivated.
    How long has Ruff been head coach? I think this is year 6.

That happens in pro sports, and in the NHL in particular, where job security for head coaches is generally preety poor.

Nolan only had 2 years- his philosophy would have worn out also- it already wore out on Hasek and some other veterans and was the reason Nolan didn't last as it is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Don Cherry

Is there any ex-sabre defensemen that have not gone behind the bench yet?

Get Morris Titanic's phone number!
    He isn't a defenseman, but Mike Foligno has had a good assistant coaching career. John Van Boxmeer has a solid minor league coaching career, too.

I'm not in favor of cutting Ruff loose, but the prospects of a trade are slim to none with this bunch. I guess Gratton, Connolly, Zhitnik, Satan, and the goalies are the prime trade bait because who'd trade for anyone else, and if they did who'd care?

Football-Sport of the Gods Buffarama's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Darcy should be in the dictionary.
    Look up PROCRASTINATION.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Why should Darcy do anything? He is safe with 5 more years on his contract and no owner to tell him what to do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I can agree with the idea that Nolan may have worn out the players with his philosophy, but I guess we'll never really know since he was only here for a bit. It's unfortunate that hockey coaches "lose" they're team after so many years, but that's the nature of the beast and it's time to let Ruff go.