X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

About the offensive line . . .

There is an article on ESPN (sorry I don't know how to post the link) about the Colts offensive line and the injuries it has sustained this year. As a result of the injuries, the Colts have been forced to play 3 different rookies at times, two of which are undrafted free agents. Despite the potential talent gap, the line has played very well, giving up only six sacks on the season and helping lead Edgerin James to be the second leading rusher in the NFL. Green Bay is another team that seams to do well with low draft picks and free agents.

This begs the question - what is the most successful attribute to good o-line play? Is it talent, coaching, a QB that consistently gets rid of the football, scheme, continuity?

I know the answer involves all of these aspects, but it makes me think that the solution to whatever offensive line woes the Bills have is not in signing big name or high priced free agent, but finding low cost coachable players that will fit in the scheme and benefit from working with the Bills staff. This has the added benefit of opening free agent dollars for other need areas.

The line is playing better of late so my thought is that the coaching and familiarity with the system are beginning to pay dividends and may not require the complete off-season overhaul I thought was needed a month ago. I think Williams, Villareal, Tucker and Price are definite keepers, Jennings will depend on price and Teague is not going anywhere so I can live with him.

Your thoughts?
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Easiest way to post a link is just to copyclip the whole address and paste it into here.

You can also hit the little button that looks like the earth with a paperclip and follow the instructions (first type a word or phrase enter and then copy in the address in the next window.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

I think it is a combination of good coaching and good talent evaluation. You need to get the right players first, then you need to have a good coach having them do the right thing. I think being smart or at least football smart has a lot to do with it.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
        NJ In The House
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
        I think it is a combination of good coaching and good talent evaluation. You need to get the right players first, then you need to have a good coach having them do the right thing. I think being smart or at least football smart has a lot to do with it.
        well that leaves us out on all counts!!!

Time To Ski!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by NJFINSFAN1
          No offense, but I hope it stays that way.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

I think you guys should give Gregg Williams another chance.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
              NJ In The House
              • Nov 2004

I think you guys should give Gregg Williams another chance.
              I'm hoping we get Brad Childress, but with the wayne runs things it could be Ray Hanley!

Time To Ski!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

I'm hoping we get Brad Childress, but with the wayne runs things it could be Ray Hanley!
                Not sure I want you guys to have a good coach, but if you could break up the lovefest in NE and take one of their top guys, that would be cool.

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
                  NJ In The House
                  • Nov 2004

Not sure I want you guys to have a good coach, but if you could break up the lovefest in NE and take one of their top guys, that would be cool.
                  They kind of worry me! They are great together, but I'm not so sure how they would be apart!

Time To Ski!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• LABillsFan
                      • Aug 2002

Teams like Indy and GB and yes the Pats have a system where the ball is thrown a lot quicker than other teams which sets up the running game and deep ball. Those short slants, quick throws down the line of scrimmage, screens net them 6-9 yards at a time, not to mention receivers that recognize blitzes and coverages just as good as their QB's do. They have also been playing in the same system for years, and while substitions are made on the line, the rest of the team knows what they are doing.
                      I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

The Colts have an advantage to this situation.

Manning will smoke a blitzing defenses. He reads the defenses so well that if the play called in the huddle doesn't match up, he instantly audibles to expose the rush.

Therefore, most defenses don't bring a heavy blitzing scheme into games against the Colts. The Colts have so many offensive weapons that opposing defenses need the extra pursuers out of the box and covering downfield. Throw in a play action or two, and now you have a good running game to go with the passing game.

The defenses just use a basic scheme taking pressure off the Colts OL buying time for Manning and allowing a play to develop downfield.

Shows how a good QB contributes to his team.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                          The Colts have an advantage to this situation.

Manning will smoke a blitzing defenses. He reads the defenses so well that if the play called in the huddle doesn't match up, he instantly audibles to expose the rush.

Therefore, most defenses don't bring a heavy blitzing scheme into games against the Colts. The Colts have so many offensive weapons that opposing defenses need the extra pursuers out of the box and covering downfield. Throw in a play action or two, and now you have a good running game to go with the passing game.

The defenses just use a basic scheme taking pressure off the Colts OL buying time for Manning and allowing a play to develop downfield.

Shows how a good QB contributes to his team.
                          And Favre, plain and simple is a mad man. Physically and emotionally tough who brings it every game even after all these years. Even if he throws int's you know he's going to redeem himself more times than not, Brady plays within his means and doesn't make mistakes all that often.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

The Giants had a pretty good line most of the time that McNally was there, but the GM always assumed McNally could turn lead into gold and wouldn't even draft any halfway decent guys. When injuries hit his starters in his las year and he was literally coaching crap, the line play slipped badly. Buffalo by comparison has a much more talented line but has had crap coaching for so many years, it's taken McNally time to get them whipped into shape. They're doing pretty well now, but I still think the Bills should draft as if it is a weakness.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                              The Giants had a pretty good line most of the time that McNally was there, but the GM always assumed McNally could turn lead into gold and wouldn't even draft any halfway decent guys. When injuries hit his starters in his las year and he was literally coaching crap, the line play slipped badly. Buffalo by comparison has a much more talented line but has had crap coaching for so many years, it's taken McNally time to get them whipped into shape. They're doing pretty well now, but I still think the Bills should draft as if it is a weakness.
                              That is one track record the Bills have that drives me insane. The FO looks at the surface and may think they don't need to insure stability at a postion and ignore it. But I will have to reserve judgement until the season is over. I don't expect them to run the table although Pitt is the only game that I see them out classed. It's so difficult to gauge them with DB back there yes they looked good the last 2 weeks but what is the gauge Seattle and St. Louis or Baltimore and NE?

Comment

Working...
                              X