X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Rumors are starting up again

A lot of rumors are surfacing that the players are giving in to a new deal where they are willing to give up quite a bit but under the term revenue sharing and not salary cap.
    Whether this is true or not, expect some bargaining news in the next few days.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Turf
    A lot of rumors are surfacing that the players are giving in to a new deal where they are willing to give up quite a bit but under the term revenue sharing and not salary cap.
    Whether this is true or not, expect some bargaining news in the next few days.

what don't the players understand about no salary cap no hockey??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

I think it's all about saving face at this point.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• clumping platelets

The previous offer by the players and the subsequent "line-by-line" review with the miedia was a PR stunt. In no way did it result in swaying the public opinion that is clearly in the owners favor. Fans are heavily on the side of the owners (3 or 4 to 1)......me included

Comment

• Myers57
          Registered User and McLovin stunt double
          • Sep 2003

Yea they better hurry because this seasons time is running out here in a hurry...

Comment

• SkateZilla
            • Dec 2002

they have 1 week to finalize a deal... 1 week training camp.. and 40 game season....
            Skate Zilla
            -----------------------
            Skate Zilla HD Studios:
            SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

There was an article in the paper here where Gretzky says if nothing gets settled soon, he wouldn't be surprised if they were out 2 years. If they cancel this season, players don't get paid again until next September, so there is no pressure on the owners to settle until then.

I can't believe CP is anti-union.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                There was an article in the paper here where Gretzky says if nothing gets settled soon, he wouldn't be surprised if they were out 2 years. If they cancel this season, players don't get paid again until next September, so there is no pressure on the owners to settle until then.

I can't believe CP is anti-union.

Unions are good to a point. However, when they become too powerful, like municipal unions, it's counterproductive.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

Hey clump,
                  I don't think 3-4 to 1 is even close. I don't know anyone that is in favor of the players. I will say it is closer to 100 to 1.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

To me, it's just business. It makes no sense to me to have the same cap for Calgary as New York, unless you are going to share revenue. If they are not going to share revenues, I think the luxury tax works. Let the Rangers and Red Wings spend as much as they want, and pay the tax which shares their revenue with the "have nots". Why penalize the teams that know how to make money?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

To me, it's just business. It makes no sense to me to have the same cap for Calgary as New York, unless you are going to share revenue. If they are not going to share revenues, I think the luxury tax works. Let the Rangers and Red Wings spend as much as they want, and pay the tax which shares their revenue with the "have nots". Why penalize the teams that know how to make money?

how does having a team in a city with a few million people to sell jerseys to and big corporations to blow big money on ads knowing how to make money??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        how does having a team in a city with a few million people to sell jerseys to and big corporations to blow big money on ads knowing how to make money??
                        How many jerseys are they going to sell if their team blows?

How are you going to generate TV ratings when Tampa plays Calgary for the cup?

Believe it or not, it's in the game's best interest for the big city teams to be good.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

How many jerseys are they going to sell if their team blows?

How are you going to generate TV ratings when Tampa plays Calgary for the cup?

Believe it or not, it's in the game's best interest for the big city teams to be good.
                          I've been to NY...the Rangers blow and they sell lots of jerseys

I've been to Chicago...the Black Hawks blow and they sell lots of jerseys

TV ratings for hockey will always suck in the US - people just don't care.

The only way big city teams winning being in the games best interest would be for TV ratings which brings us back to the point above about nobody outside of fans in cities with teams caring.

Contract the league of teams south of the mason dixon and get teams that are loaded with talent and you will see better hockey which might lead to better ratings...regardless the big city teams being good.

Comment

• SkateZilla
                            • Dec 2002

lmao.. Who was the Guy that Said... " Gimmie New York's Salary and I'll Garauntee the Cup" and after what.. 5 years of trying he has yet to make the playoffs!
                            Skate Zilla
                            -----------------------
                            Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                            SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla
                              lmao.. Who was the Guy that Said... " Gimmie New York's Salary and I'll Garauntee the Cup" and after what.. 5 years of trying he has yet to make the playoffs!
                              that would have been Glenn Sather...who with Gretzky and Messier and a boat load of underpaid talent in a small market won 4 cups.

Comment

Working...
                              X