X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iehoshua
    • Jan 2003

Kickers Suck

What a pathetic display, Lindell, Longwell, Kaeding... Arguably costing their respective teams games...

"Where have all the kickers gone?"
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

That guy from O State is looking like a better draft pick every day.

Comment

• Iehoshua
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BAM
      That guy from O State is looking like a better draft pick every day.
      From the looks of things, we won't be the only team in the market for a new kicker, either...

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

I was thinking about this the other day.

As soon as the NFL implemented the rule that kickers could no longer "cook" (hold onto kicking balls), the kicking stats started to plummet.

I think that the rule was put into effect about 5 years ago. Kickers used to be able to hold onto game day balls, and do whatever they needed to them. Some would sand the balls down, inflate, under-inflate, and there were even reports of some kickers baking the balls. I'm not exactly sure what cooking them does, but since the NFL now retains the kicking balls until game day, kickers have don't have the same pre-game preperations. Kicking stats have been seriously effected.

Comment

• BAM
          • Sep 2003

Do they really use different footballs for kickoffs and punts? I saw someone post about that a while back. I didn't know that.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM
            Do they really use different footballs for kickoffs and punts? I saw someone post about that a while back. I didn't know that.
            yeah..there are 36 new footballs brought out for every game..12 are reserved for kicking and punting only...marked with a K
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BAM
              • Sep 2003

Are they any different, Phil? Like the size and weight? Or just the fact that they are marked with a K.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by BAM
                Are they any different, Phil? Like the size and weight? Or just the fact that they are marked with a K.
                They are the same. They just aren't "aged" like they used to be.

Comment

• The_Philster
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM
                  that's the only difference...they want the balls used for kicking to be the exact size and weight so they are not subjected to the regular play, like being carried or passed
                  The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BAM
                    • Sep 2003

I see. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I just hope Donahoe addresses the kicking issue for us this offseason. It's always been an after thought for him and it cost us this year.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                        • Jul 2002

I'm surprised about Kaeding....I watched him thru his Iowa days, and he was AUTOMATIC. Can't believe he screwed up like that...

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                          • May 2003

Kickers miss, what do you want?

Comment

• Billz_fan
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                            Kickers miss, what do you want?
                            yeah, If it were a given there would be no reason to line up and kick it. Kicking has deteriorated though.

Bring back the bare foot kickers
                            The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                              I'm surprised about Kaeding....I watched him thru his Iowa days, and he was AUTOMATIC. Can't believe he screwed up like that...
                              Hes a rookie it takes time to be automatic. Vinatieri used to suck ass when he was young. Not too mention the weather wasnt great on Saturday
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X