SABURZFAN -
    SabreEleven -

pjw aka Mini -
    Billsology -

Join BDZ today!!!
    http://www.billszone.com/http://www....ad.php?t=72979

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

[QUOTE=Ebenezer]for every 80 yard run there were 10 gains of 2 or less or 5 losses of 5...he couldn't catch the ball to save his life...
      QUOTE]
      Wys would be proud- "take away the 80 yard run and he's got only a 4.1 YPC"

Comment

• Billz_fan
        • Jan 2003

By all means this isn't easy. I may not have the backs in order of stats, but these are the guys who come to my mind. I take heart into serious consideration along with stats and entertainment value. With that said here goes.............

I am 45 an have seen all these guys do there thing at least to some extent

1. Jim Brown
        2. Gale Sayers
        3. Walter Payton
        4. Barry Sanders
        5. O.J. Simpson
        6. Earl Campbell
        7. Franco Harris
        8. Eric Dickerson
        9. Curtis Martin
        10. Emmit Smith

My favorite out of the bunch to watch play is Earl Campbell and Im surprised I am the first to mention him.
        Last edited by Billz_fan; 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM.
        The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

#1 Payton
          #1a Sanders
          All the rest.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Billz_fan
            By all means this isn't easy. I may not have the backs in order of stats, but these are the guys who come to my mind. I take heart into serious consideration along with stats and entertainment value. With that said here goes.............

I am 45 an have seen all these guys do there thing at least to some extent

1. Jim Brown
            2. Gale Sayers
            3. Walter Payton
            4. Barry Sanders
            5. O.J. Simpson
            6. Earl Campbell
            7. Franco Harris
            8. Eric Dickerson
            9. Curtis Martin
            10. Emmit Smith

My favorite out of the bunch to watch play is Earl Campbell and Im surprised I am the first to mention him.
            He got serious consideration from me... as did Dickerson but I couldn't see putting them above the other 5.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

1.j.brown-would run for 2000+ yards today.who knows what kind of numbers he would have put up had he not got paid more for acting.
              2.w.payton-he could run and catch the ball.ALWAYS in shape.played for some very bad teams too.
              3.e.campbell-a monster!!!!bum ran him into the ground.playing in that dome killed his career too.he's still paying the price in real life too.
              4.g.sayers-had medicine been more advanced,chicago would be arguing who was better.payton or sayers??
              5.c.martin-the most underrated rb of all-time.grab a bubble gum card and look at the stats.he can do it all.he still looks as if he has another 2-3 years left.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                #1 Payton
                #1a Sanders
                All the rest.
                You are obviously too young to have seen Jim Brown play, and have the mindset of many young people: If it happened before my time, it is irrelevant.

Any list of all time great running backs begins with Jim Brown. Then you argue 2-5 or 2-10.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                  • Jul 2002

Barry Sanders
                  Jim Brown
                  Walter Payton
                  Gayle Sayers
                  OJ Simpson
                  Eric Dickerson
                  Emmitt Smith
                  Thurman Thomas
                  Earl Campbell

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
                    Barry Sanders
                    Jim Brown
                    Walter Payton
                    Gayle Sayers
                    OJ Simpson
                    Eric Dickerson
                    Emmitt Smith
                    Thurman Thomas
                    Earl Campbell
                    Good list, NC, except Brown has to go ahead of Sanders. Barry was just too inconsistent. If I remember correctly, Sanders was once held to minus yards by the Packers in a playoff game. If Brown were held below 100 yards, it was big news.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

OJ Simpson was the best running back I have ever seen.

He was more powerful than people gave him credit for, and he had world class sprinter speed. Every play he was a threat to take it to the house. You can't say that about all the other guys.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        OJ Simpson was the best running back I have ever seen.

He was more powerful than people gave him credit for, and he had world class sprinter speed. Every play he was a threat to take it to the house. You can't say that about all the other guys.
                        Brown - who was one of the greatest lacrosse players ever, and also played basketball at Syracuse - was a great athlete with an almost unnatural combination of size, strength and speed. I have seen both play and, taking nothing away from OJ, I'd have to pick Brown as the best.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          Brown - who was one of the greatest lacrosse players ever, and also played basketball at Syracuse - was a great athlete with an almost unnatural combination of size, strength and speed. I have seen both play and, taking nothing away from OJ, I'd have to pick Brown as the best.
                          I'm not quite old enough to have seen Jim Brown play.

But, in my book, OJ is ahead of Payton, Sanders, Smith, and Sayers.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                            I'm not quite old enough to have seen Jim Brown play.

But, in my book, OJ is ahead of Payton, Sanders, Smith, and Sayers.
                            Sadly, I'm old enough to have seen Marion Motley - Brown's predecessor in Cleveland - play.

But I agree on OJ. It's really too bad John Rauch screwed up OJ's early years with the Bills, or we would have seen even more greatness.

Comment

• TedMock
                              • Jul 2002

I advise anybody who doesn't feel that Jim Brown is #1 to go out and buy a video of him playing. He was head and shoulders better than all the others. There's not even a close second. I think Gayle Sayers gets short-changed because of a short career, but he was an unbelievable talent. I also think that Smith gets short changed because he played behind such a great line. Hey, you can't penalize the guy for taking advantage of a great situation. You also have to admit that he took some serious shots and was as tough as they come. Remember the huge game against the Giants with a dislocated shoulder? His durability is something to marvel. I hated him 10 years ago, but the guy was one heck of a back. I personally think Barry Sanders is a better talent at RB, but he wouldn't have worked well in Dallas' offense. He's a cut-back, and juke runner. An offensive scheme like Denver's would yield Sanders 200 yards every Sunday. Walter Payton was just the best damn ball player I've ever seen. Speed, power, moves, blocking, catching, throwing, versatility, etc. He's my #2 RB. So, I say Brown, Payton, Sanders, Smith, Simpson.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                                • May 2003

Now that I'm thinking back, Ollie Matson ought to be in the top 10, and perhaps Joe "the Jet" Perry.

Comment

Working...
                                X