Thread: Tip Sheet: Wahle better than Jennings at LT

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tip Sheet: Wahle better than Jennings at LT

The top left offensive tackle in unrestricted free agency, some teams feel, might not even be a tackle. There are several teams suggesting Green Bay left guard Mike Wahle, who will be released by the Packers in the next few days for salary cap reasons, actually might project better to the more significant left tackle spot. That's certainly good news for Wahle and agent Neil Cornrich since, as has been pointed out here many times, tackles get bigger contracts than guards. Wahle, 27, actually looks more like a tackle, a long and rangy lineman (6 foot 6, 307 pounds) who moves well and always has been a strong technician in pass protection. The seven-year veteran was forced to play left tackle in the Packers' playoff game this year because of injuries, and he performed well. The teams to whom we spoke Friday feel Wahle, down the road, is probably a better tackle prospect than Jonas Jennings of the Buffalo Bills, probably the most high-profile tackle in the free-agent pool. Wahle is due a $6 million roster bonus next week, which is why the cap-strapped Packers will have to release him.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...=1999547&num=4

This is good news on two fronts: 1) there is another good FA option at LT if we don't get Jennings back and the Shelton deal falls through. 2) The fact there is another quality LT prospect available in FA creates a higher supply of LT thus (hopefully) bringing down the price of Jennings and other o-linemen

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Romes
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...=1999547&num=4

This is good news on two fronts: 1) there is another good FA option at LT if we don't get Jennings back and the Shelton deal falls through. 2) The fact there is another quality LT prospect available in FA creates a higher supply of LT thus (hopefully) bringing down the price of Jennings and other o-linemen
    Maybe this is why TD has been dragging his feet on the Shelton deal.....
    Wahle instead of shelton sounds good to me.....

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I'd rather have Wahle personally, I have a feeling Wahle will get more attention in FA then JJ. Probably doesn't mean JJ's price will come down too much.

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I'd love to get wahle regardless of what happens to Jennings and/or shelton. We could always keep him at guard. I still think we need to get more than just a replacement for jennings to upgrade the line.

Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down. ShadowHawk7's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Shelton(JJ)\Wahle\Teague\Villarial\Williams
    Backups:Price, McFarland, Tucker
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    TD has indicated more than once that we probably won't be able to re-sign JJ, because he will be too expensive. It appears that we might be in the same position with Wahle. Good LTs demand big bucks, which we are either unable or unwilling to pay.

Shelton, because he has a reasonable existing contract, looks like our best option.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?