Thread: It's the coaching, stupid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's the coaching, stupid.

I've felt that Lindy Ruff deserved to be the Sabres' coach, but a comment I heard last week swayed me:

How has Lindy helped any of the younger talent on this team get any better?

This team is full of potential, and has been for awhile. There is significant talent: Connolly, Gratton, Campbell, the goalies, etc.

This team is that "small market" style team that needs to reconfigure itself every few years, grow a new batch of players, and cultivate them into a cohesive, winning unit. We can't always go out and rent a player, and haven't been interested in participating in any way in the free agent market.

I don't believe Lindy has the ability to work with this type of team. For example, he completely misused Gratton last year, and I see little to no development in the team's younger talent base.

We need a coach who can teach these guys how to play NHL hockey. A teacher, not a manager. A Felipe Alou for our Montreal Expos. It's the reality.

Maybe Ted Nolan (if he's willing to realize that he's a teacher/motivator again like he was when he first got here) is a better fit now. OR, even better, bring a guy in here who will work on developing these players.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think this is why some people here are calling for trading some of our younger players, e.g. Connolly. They're never going to develop as long as Ruff is the coach. Personally, I'd rather see Ruff go than any of the players.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: It's the coaching, stupid.

Originally posted by Judge
    This team is full of potential, and has been for awhile. There is significant talent: Connolly, Gratton, Campbell, the goalies, etc.

I don't deny the team has tuned out Ruff and he needs to go but there is a dearth of talent on this team. Gratton is an 8 year vet...when is he suppose to blossom??

BTW, potential doesn't win crap in any league.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.