Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I've truly lost all hope for this team...

Thanks
    Thanked 26,402 Times in 13,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think I've truly lost all hope for this team...

Here's the deal:

Going into 2005, we have an inexperienced QB and around $8 million in cap room to sign a backup QB, DT, LG and K, plus it would be nice to get a TE, 3rd WR, and pass-rushing DE. Am I panicked that we haven't made any FA moves yet? No- it's only been 32 hours. But I am I concerned that we have all these holes to fill? HELL YES. Some of these holes can be filled in the draft, but not all of them.

Looking ahead to 2006, when JP will have some experience and we might be able to have some success, we're going to lose Moulds and Clements. Also, when Moulds leaves, I fear Evans may run into a little Peerless Price syndrome.

So, with all these gaping holes to fill and no money to do it, plus the Patriots and quickly improving Jets in our division, what reasons do we have to be confident in this team?

Edit: Evans' contact does not expire after the '05 season, as I originally stated
    Last edited by OpIv37; 03-03-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    pretty much how i feel..

Really all we need is a LT and we are set. Pat was getting old anyways and JJ is def not worth the price sf paid. We can use the draft to address some of the needs that you mentioned above.

President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub fushetti's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Settle down....
    "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
    Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyek71
    pretty much how i feel..

Really all we need is a LT and we are set. Pat was getting old anyways and JJ is def not worth the price sf paid. We can use the draft to address some of the needs that you mentioned above.
    Pat was getting old, but he was key to stopping the run. I hope the coaches either have a lot of confidence in Edwards or have another DT in the works. I'm glad we didn't pay Jennings the money that SF gave him, but I don't think we can find a LG in the draft- expect a lot of line shuffling, which doesn't bode well for Willis or JP. We're gonna get these guys killed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by fushetti
    Settle down....
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think every team has small holes to fill, its just what you make with the players that you have. A backup QB is more of a safety net. We hopefully have capable DT's to fill in for Pat, and if not, through the draft. LG I am sure will be addressed at some point. Kicker I don't see as being a major salary issue no matter what direction they go in that.

The holes that we have, aren't ones that will cause us to miss the playoffs in my opinion, its more of a matter of how the players we have play this year and how well the coaching staff builds on last year.

We will hopefully pick up a player or two in Free Agency, hopefully get something for Henry and then draft to fill some holes.

Its too hard to look at what are we going to do next year, so I wouldn't worry about that. Lee was a rookie last year, so I think he has some years left here.

Jets suck.

Pats are losing some players and coaches.

JP is better than Drew.

Willis is the man.

I haven't lost hope. If we don't sign any Free Agents, I still think we'll have a good and exciting team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    Pat was getting old, but he was key to stopping the run. I hope the coaches either have a lot of confidence in Edwards or have another DT in the works. I'm glad we didn't pay Jennings the money that SF gave him, but I don't think we can find a LG in the draft- expect a lot of line shuffling, which doesn't bode well for Willis or JP. We're gonna get these guys killed.
    I just pos repped you by accident. I don't see them getting killed at all. For starters, JP is mobile.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,492 Times in 7,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    You're over reacting. I think they do have a lot of faith in Edwards. He showed some talent when he got chances.
    A backup QB is not going to cost much. You gotta let those guys stay out on the market for a while until they realize they are not going to get what they are used to getting paid

Also, Evans is signed for 4 more years. Why do you say he will be up for re-newal next year?

I don't believe the Bills consider a speed rushing DE a need. Even if they did...........who would they sign. Those don't grow on trees.

The only thing I'm conerned about it the o-line. I hope TD addresses it soon!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mybills
    I just pos repped you by accident. I don't see them getting killed at all. For starters, JP is mobile.
    That will help, but how many times was Drew sacked because he took a five step drop, looked up, and was surrounded by 3 defenders? Granted, our o-line improved greatly in '04 (and Drew being flat-footed didn't help), but no one is mobile enough to escape that kind of pressure. Now throw in whatever benchwarming scrub we have at LG and see what happens.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by regor
    Also, Evans is signed for 4 more years. Why do you say he will be up for re-newal next year?
    my mistake- I must be confusing him with someone else. Either way, we're going to lose Moulds and will either need a #1 WR or a #2 WR depending on how well Evans steps up.

Touch the helmet for luck helmetguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    There are a couple of ways you can look at this. One is, we play Madden and shuffle guys-name guys-into the mix and HOPE the come together. Or, we can put a little faith in Mike Mularkey and his staff to bring what we have together and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. That's what good coaches do. That's what BB has been doing up in NE, with pretty decent results, I'd say. Going into camp, this will Mularkey's team, not the remnants he inherited from Gregg Williams. Losman is "his guy," not a reclaimation project that GW left behind. Losing individual players can hurt; particularly if they are "fan-friendly." The replacement may not be quite as good but, if Jerry Gray is, indeed, as good as advertised, he'll make the adjustments necessary to get the other 10 positions to step it up. Again, the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

More on this later. Gotta go to work.
    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Look around the league at all the teams that are losing key players and have gaping holes to fill. Yes, the Raiders and Vikes seem to be doing great, but many - including New England and the Jets - are losing guys, and losing out on guys, just like us.

The Jets, for instance, have lost Ferguson and Jordan, and missed out on JJ and Big Pat. New England has let several players go, and may lose Bruschi to early retirement. There are also teams with far less cap space than us.

Keep the faith. We'll sign some of the less expensive FAs to fill holes and provide depth, and get some help in the draft as well.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    didn't clumpy say Moulds can restructure again, even though he only did it for 05?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mybills
    didn't clumpy say Moulds can restructure again, even though he only did it for 05?
    well they can always restructure, but it doesn't make sense that they would restructure this year than restructure again next year. It seems to me that if they wanted to keep him around after '05, they would have restructured differently.

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Clumpy said around $6 mil.

We'll need around $4 for draft picks.

That leaves $2 for a LT and TWO backup QB's.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Since the Music City Miracle, this is most optomistic I've been with this team.

We have talent, the #2 defense 2 years running (with 1 starter lost), and excellent coaching. If the Bills bring in Jonathan Quinn as the backup, then make some room on the 14th floor window ledge for me.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake Enyart
    Clumpy said around $6 mil.

We'll need around $4 for draft picks.

That leaves $2 for a LT and TWO backup QB's.
    Without a #1 pick, we might need only $2.5-$3 million

We might cut some guys after June 1- Like Priloeau- not sure.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    i say sign a qb for about 2 mill (like Holcumb) and then hope that we can get a decent LT for henry
    [

Registered User DaBillzAhDaShiznit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Dude, is it possible for you to go one day without pissing and moaning about the loss of Bledsoe? Keep this up and you will be the Juice of this offseason.....Bledsoe is gone just like Reuben is gone....get over it and let's move on. I think it has been well proven that Free Agency is a huge crap shoot.....I mean we have hit on Milloy, Adams, Fletcher, Villariall and Spikes, but we missed badly on Bledsoe, Lindell, Charlie Rogers, Eddie Robinson, Jason Gildon, Oliver Gibson, et al...
    You could make a solid arguement that we missed somewhat on Vincent and Teague....but they are average at least.
    I don't think signing a name just to sign someone is the right move. We don't have much $$ to play with. Our biggest need right now is OT. We can fill in spots at DT, but that OT spot is far too critical to let our existing depth fill.
    If we come away from the FA period with an OT added, I would be satisfied. The rest can be picked up either in the draft or after the draft
    As much as I would love to see it, I can't see us picking up a K, DE, or even a significant 3rd WR. And TE might be a pipe dream too.
    Until we are entering training camp with two big holes, I would not get too worried.
    "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
    --Leo Durocher

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I can't billieve Im hearing this!!! you cant lose hope!! thats not what we do!! we stick with our teams though thick and thin!!! if your not going to be a bills fan dont be a football fan at all....i hate it when people change there teams just so they can be with a good team....you know what that makes them....POSERS!

The OG attention whore. 18 Billszone years strong