My remaining offseason priorities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

My remaining offseason priorities

My view on the Bills remaining offseason priorities by position:

LT - Shelton? There are some others, like Fred Miller- but he’s the guy we want. Could be one drafted in Rd 2, with Gandy filling in for a year.

G- DeMulling, Keydrick Vincent - or someone else (Cosey Colman- Dixon, ect...)

TE- Don’t need a flashy receiver- we need more of a blocking TE. Maybe Peters will develop into that guy.

RB- With Henry gone, we need another good backup here. I’d like to see a battering ram- change of pace guy. Ron Dayne could be had for vet min. Could also be addressed in the draft. We also have just one Fullback on the entire roster right now. I’d like to get a Reuben Droughns/Mike Anderson type- FB/RB combo.

DL- Quality depth at DT or DE never hurts.

K- I don’t see anyone in free agency better than Lindell. Not a lot out there. Not spending a day 1 pick on one either.

DB depth. – Would be nice to have a backup plan if Clements bolts next year. If we draft one high that might tip TD’s hand on next season.

QB- Holcomb was a great pickup- let’s get Matthews signed as depth or get a project in the draft that we can ship to NFL Europe for seasoning.

WR/LB/C – If we get anyone- it’s for quality depth. LBs are thin for reserves, we will probably draft one. Kevin Johnson would make a nice #3 or #4 WR- it would push Reed.
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

i agree with everything you said.

about the FB position.. we picked up a FA FB last year no? he is that FB/RB type you were talking about. cant remember his name.. he was a white guy from BYU or Airforce or something
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
      My view on the Bills remaining offseason priorities by position:

LT - Shelton? There are some others, like Fred Miller- but he’s the guy we want. Could be one drafted in Rd 2, with Gandy filling in for a year.

G- DeMulling, Keydrick Vincent - or someone else (Cosey Colman- Dixon, ect...)

TE- Don’t need a flashy receiver- we need more of a blocking TE. Maybe Peters will develop into that guy.

RB- With Henry gone, we need another good backup here. I’d like to see a battering ram- change of pace guy. Ron Dayne could be had for vet min. Could also be addressed in the draft. We also have just one Fullback on the entire roster right now. I’d like to get a Reuben Droughns/Mike Anderson type- FB/RB combo.

DL- Quality depth at DT or DE never hurts.

K- I don’t see anyone in free agency better than Lindell. Not a lot out there. Not spending a day 1 pick on one either.

DB depth. – Would be nice to have a backup plan if Clements bolts next year. If we draft one high that might tip TD’s hand on next season.

QB- Holcomb was a great pickup- let’s get Matthews signed as depth or get a project in the draft that we can ship to NFL Europe for seasoning.

WR/LB/C – If we get anyone- it’s for quality depth. LBs are thin for reserves, we will probably draft one. Kevin Johnson would make a nice #3 or #4 WR- it would push Reed.
      1st priority is still LT...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• superbills
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka

about the FB position.. we picked up a FA FB last year no? he is that FB/RB type you were talking about. cant remember his name.. he was a white guy from BYU or Airforce or something
        Luke Lawton, McNeese State perhaps? Was cut in training camp, but then assigned to the practice squad on Dec. 2nd, but may be with Atlanta now. No one has him listed on their roster
        "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
        Ronald Reagan
        40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
          • Aug 2004

yeah we need an LT above anything. I'd take a flyer on a RB in the late rounds.
          http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

If Henry is traded I would look to sign a back-up running back along the lines of Tyrone Wheatley.

As for the o-line, a starting caliber tackle in free agency or via trade would be ideal and a guard to compete with Tucker early in the draft.

Comment

• Romes
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by superbills
              Luke Lawton, McNeese State perhaps? Was cut in training camp, but then assigned to the practice squad on Dec. 2nd, but may be with Atlanta now. No one has him listed on their roster
              Luke Lawton was his name and the Falcons picked him up off our practice squad on 1/5/05

Originally posted by paladin warrior
              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by EDS
                If Henry is traded I would look to sign a back-up running back along the lines of Tyrone Wheatley.

As for the o-line, a starting caliber tackle in free agency or via trade would be ideal and a guard to compete with Tucker early in the draft.
                To be honest I think we could do alot better then Wheatley.

OT is a huge need. There is no way anybody on our roster (unless we move Fat Mike over to LT) that can start at LT for us. Either way if we move Mike over there we still need a tackle.
                Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

thanks on lawton.. i just couldnt remember his name.. i thought he was still on our roster..

well.. fullbacks are a dime a dozen.. especially rb/fb types.. they always fall in the draft because teams either want a GOOD FB or a GOOD RB.. and you just dont see many hybrids other than a guy like alstot.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by Romes
                      Luke Lawton was his name and the Falcons picked him up off our practice squad on 1/5/05

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=4081
                      Thanks, Romes, I like the kid and thought we still had him. Unless we re-sign Burns, I guess we need a backup FB, in addition to our other needs.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

thanks on lawton.. i just couldnt remember his name.. i thought he was still on our roster..

well.. fullbacks are a dime a dozen.. especially rb/fb types.. they always fall in the draft because teams either want a GOOD FB or a GOOD RB.. and you just dont see many hybrids other than a guy like alstot.

FBs, Kickers, and Punters don't get any love in the NFL draft.
                        None of those positions get drafted on day 1 and you're lucky to count on one hand any that get drafted at all.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          FBs, Kickers, and Punters don't get any love in the NFL draft.
                          None of those positions get drafted on day 1 and you're lucky to count on one hand any that get drafted at all.
                          Janikowski, Sauerbrun (sp?), Konrad, Kleinsasser, Alstott, Edwards (ND FB/JAC), Holcombe.. I think thats all that I can think of at least recently anyway. Thats only in rounds 1 and 2. Thats 7 that I can think of in the past about 10 years. Certainly not alot. And there haven't been too many recently. Sander, Kaeding, Evans are the only 1s in round 3 that were recently drafted. You can find good players late in the draft or undrafted for these positions which are very important.
                          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Romes

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=4081
                            Damn, I liked him.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Two of those three kickers are non factors in the NFL- and the third blew his kick in the playoffs. Any poor slob can miss in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X