X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Sirius Radio Comment

I heard on Sirius Radio about 30 minutes ago, one of the radio hosts was talking about Matt Jones and he said,

"you know what team is really into Matt Jones because of the style of offense that their head coach used to thrive from as an offensive coordinator? Mike Mularkey is that coach from the Buffalo Bills. He was talking to me a few days ago about how interested he was in picking Matt Jones not just because of his size and speed, but because of his slash type abilities".

I thought that this was very interesting! I heard TD in an interview a few days ago on Sirius and he praised Matt Jones, but I wasn't sure if it was a smoke screen or not. This may confirm my thoughts as to us grabbing Jones if he is still on the board and getting an O-lineman in the third. If I had to guess, that is what could happen.

Any thoughts men?
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
    I heard on Sirius Radio about 30 minutes ago, one of the radio hosts was talking about Matt Jones and he said,

"you know what team is really into Matt Jones because of the style of offense that their head coach used to thrive from as an offensive coordinator? Mike Mularkey is that coach from the Buffalo Bills. He was talking to me a few days ago about how interested he was in picking Matt Jones not just because of his size and speed, but because of his slash type abilities".

I thought that this was very interesting! I heard TD in an interview a few days ago on Sirius and he praised Matt Jones, but I wasn't sure if it was a smoke screen or not. This may confirm my thoughts as to us grabbing Jones if he is still on the board and getting an O-lineman in the third. If I had to guess, that is what could happen.

Any thoughts men?
    We're taking Matt Jones in the 2nd!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
      • Feb 2005

Honestly, odds are he may not be there for us by our pick. I could see TD trading a pick in 2006 for an earlier 2005 pick to get Jones, IF he really wanted him that badly.

Comment

• Wolffman
        • Jul 2004

Can someone enlighten me: Who's Matt Jones?

Comment

• Sportsuser101
          • Feb 2005

Yeah lets trade up with our 1st pick for a project player.

I could maybe understand if we had a 1st round pick but not for our 1st pick.
          Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• G. Host
            Banned
            • Jul 2002

Big, big WR out of Arkansas some see as a TE in NFL

Strengths: Is an amazing natural athlete...Has very good size and knows how to use it...Speed is extremely deceptive...Has a lot of potential and showed he has the ability to make the move to wideout in Mobile at the Senior Bowl...Very tough...Appeared to have good hands...Fiery player with a great competitive spirit...Team leader.

Weaknesses: Very raw and has never played a position other than quarterback...Will need a lot of work and development...May be too laid back and lackadaisical for some people...Is he truly dedicated to the game of football or was basketball his true love?...A project who will be a gamble for whoever selects him.

Notes: Was also a top high school basketball player and saw some time on the court with the Razorbacks...Could also project to quarterback or tight end in the pros...Interesting prospect

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Wolffman
              Can someone enlighten me: Who's Matt Jones?
              6'-5", 239 pounds, 4.37 in the 40. Played QB for Arkansas (Same as Jason Peters). Projected as a TE or WR in the NFL.

AKA "The Real Freak".

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Sportsuser101

i was thinkin' like, give our 2nd round pick and a much later pick for an earlier pick for him.. like i said... if they REALLY want him

edit: Actually, i take that back. I didn't really realize that he's going to be such a project. I also thought he was going to go a lot earlier than he probably will.

Comment

• Wolffman
                  • Jul 2004

He played QB in college and is a project for the pros? That reminds me of Randle El. I'd say he worked out.

Anyway, the Bills are in desperate need of a fast, strong, athletic TE... this could be the guy. But I am worried about his blocking abilities, he did play QB.

Comment

• jpdex12
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Sportsuser101

So supposedly, the big plan with TD is to trade for Shelton. This would solidify our line with starters. We will obviously use the draft to acquire depth for the o-line, but there is a good chance as TD always does.....grab the best player available! Haven't you realized the type of draft guy that TD is? Best player available.
                    I was stating in my original post what I heard on Sirius Radio. We have heard TD speak highly of Jones as well. There are also numerous analysts that say that they won't find it hard to believe it if Jones goes in the late 1st or early second. Project or not, teams are very impressed with this guy and he will go early. Scouts.com has this guy ranked 34th overall in this draft! I'd take a project like that in the 2nd and I bet there are NFL teams that think likewise.

2005 Scout.com NFL Draft RankingsYear:

PosOverall
                    Rank
                    RatingNameYrHt/Wt/40CollegeHome
                    WR1Braylon EdwardsSR6-3/206/4.45MichiganHarper Woods, MI
                    RB2Ronnie BrownSR6-1/223/-AuburnCartersville, GA
                    RB3Cedric BensonSR6-0/225/-TexasMidland, TX
                    RB4Carnell WilliamsSR5-11/204/-AuburnAttalla, AL
                    QB5Aaron RodgersJR6-2/220/4.69CaliforniaChico, CA
                    OLB6Derrick JohnsonSR6-4/235/-TexasWaco, TX
                    QB7Alex SmithJR6-4/212/4.76UtahLa Mesa, CA
                    CB8Adam JonesJR5-11/185/4.50West VirginiaAtlanta, GA
                    WR9Mike WilliamsJR6-5/210/-USCTampa, FL
                    DE10Shawne MerrimanJR6-4/245/4.68MarylandUpper Marlboro, MD
                    OT11Alex BarronSR6-6/316/-Florida StateOrangeburg, SC
                    CB12Carlos RogersSR6-1/194/-AuburnAugusta, GA
                    DE13Dan CodySR6-5/265/-OklahomaAda, OK
                    DE14Marcus SpearsSR6-4/295/-LSUBaton Rouge, LA
                    CB15Antrel RolleSR6-1/202/-Miami (Fl)Homestead, FL
                    WR16Troy WilliamsonJR6-2/195/4.40South CarolinaAiken, SC
                    DE17Erasmus JamesSR6-4/270/-WisconsinHollywood, FL
                    DE18David PollackSR6-2/261/-GeorgiaLithonia, GA
                    DT19Travis JohnsonSR6-5/286/-Florida StateSherman Oaks, CA
                    S20Thomas DavisJR6-3/230/-GeorgiaCuthbert, GA
                    OT21Khalif BarnesSR6-5/310/-WashingtonSpring Valley, CA
                    WR22Mark ClaytonSR5-11/187/-OklahomaArlington, TX
                    DE23Justin TuckJR6-5/261/-Notre DameRockford, AL
                    TE24Heath MillerJR6-5/255/-VirginiaHonaker, VA
                    OT25Jammal BrownSR6-6/313/-OklahomaLawton, OK
                    DT26Shaun CodySR6-3.5/290/-USCHacienda Heights, CA
                    OLB27Darryl BlackstockJR6-4/240/-VirginiaFork Union, VA
                    S28Josh BullocksJR6-0/205/4.45NebraskaHixson, TN
                    S29Brodney PoolJR6-3/208/-OklahomaHouston, TX
                    CB30Fabian WashingtonJR5-11/180/-NebraskaBradenton, FL
                    CB31Justin MillerJR5-11/200/4.50ClemsonOwensboro, KY
                    OLB32Kevin BurnettSR6-3/235/-TennesseeCompton, CA
                    DE33Matt RothSR6-4/270/-IowaVilla Park, IL
                    TE34Matt JonesSR6-6.5/237/-ArkansasFort Smith, AR

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

Imagine him as an H-back. Misdirection plays, motions, you name it, especially if he can chuck it downfield. I was interested in Chaz Williams in the 6th or 7th round as this type of player, but he doesn't come close to Jones in athletic ability. Williams is a college QB projected as a pro RB, but no one knows much about his pass catching skills. Interesting stuff.

Comment

• HurryUpTom
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Wolffman
                        He played QB in college and is a project for the pros? That reminds me of Randle El. I'd say he worked out.

Anyway, the Bills are in desperate need of a fast, strong, athletic TE... this could be the guy. But I am worried about his blocking abilities, he did play QB.
                        I'm rather certain he has been adamant about not playing TE ... and I don't blame him. He'll have to put on a fair bit of weight to play TE and would probably lose his speed. Right now as a WR, he's physically a matchup problem from hell for the defense ... no need to mess with that.

Comment

• G. Host
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2002

More on him:

Jones, the former Arkansas quarterback ran the fastest time ever for a quarterback at the combine, unofficially clocked at 4.41 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He worked out Sunday with the quarterbacks, but will probably end up going to the NFL as a wide receiver. Jones switched to receiver for the first time in the Senior Bowl. He caught a touchdown catch in last month's game, in a losing effort for the South all-stars. NFL Personnel are excited about Jones’ prospects as a converted QB. John Gruden, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach said at the Senior Bowl, "I don't remember a guy in my lifetime that's doing what he's doing," and "Here's a guy who starts in the SEC on a good team, goes to bowl games, and he comes in here and doesn't even take a snap at the position he played. I'm really fired up about him. I'm really impressed”.

From Great Blue North Draft Report

It talks about 'non-traditional' QBs include mention of former Bill Doug Flutie.

Comment

• Wolffman
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by HurryUpTom
                            I'm rather certain he has been adamant about not playing TE ... and I don't blame him. He'll have to put on a fair bit of weight to play TE and would probably lose his speed. Right now as a WR, he's physically a matchup problem from hell for the defense ... no need to mess with that.
                            True. Maybe he could line up as a TE on obvious passing downs? That would be much less obvious to the defense than him splitting out.

Comment

• Wolffman
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by G. Host
                              More on him:

Jones, the former Arkansas quarterback ran the fastest time ever for a quarterback at the combine, unofficially clocked at 4.41 seconds in the 40-yard dash.
                              Faster than Vick?

He's faster than I thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X