• Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

2 More UFA Sign With Bills

WR Tony Brown - Tennessee

FB Jon Goldsberry - Purdue

Look what the guy said to the media about coming to Buffalo:
    Fullback Jon Goldsberry signed with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent. His contract included a $20,000 signing bonus to go along with the league minimum salary.

Goldsberry said that he chose Buffalo over Detroit and New England because they offered the highest signing bonus and the situation at Buffalo was the best.

"They have a guy playing fullback who’s 33 and gets injured." Goldsberry said. "(I’m) going to Buffalo and raising hell."
    I wonder if Shelton has anything to say about this? If I were Shelton I'd be pissed at a rookie making a comment like this.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

If he was talking about me, I'd give Spikes a big fat steak dinner if he knocked the rookie on his ass the first day.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

oh great...another WR.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Aug 2004

Here's Tony Brown's profile from the UT website:

Height/Weight: 6'2", 200
        Hometown: Lauderdale Lakes, Fla.

Full name: Tony Leonard Brown ... Elected team captain for 2004 season ... Sure-handed receiver proved to be consistent and reliable target throughout last two seasons ... Vols’ top pass-catcher during that span with 63 receptions ... Led regular UT receivers in 2003 with 15.7-yard average per catch ... Ranked third on team in yards (376) and fourth in receptions (24) ... Tied for team high with 39 catches in 2002 ... Four career games with at least 75 receiving yards ... Coaching staff recognizes unselfish nature by his excellent blocking abilities ... Coming off another outstanding spring practice ... Coach Washing-ton's evaluation: "Tony’s biggest asset is he can play all the positions. He’s a competitive guy who can play every down.” ... Born: May 29, 1981.

CAREER
        - Games/Started: 37/22 ...

2003 -
        Games/Started: 13/12 ... Led regular UT receivers with 15.7-yard average per catch ... Ranked third on team in receiving yards (376) and fourth in receptions (24) ... Caught at least one pass in nine games ... Scored touchdowns in Vols’ first two games against Fresno State and Marshall ... Had two catches for 51 yards and added one rush in win over South Carolina ... Totaled career-best 78 yards on five catches at Auburn ... Led all UT receivers with four catches for 68 yards vs. Duke ... His two receptions for 51 yards in Vanderbilt contest included spectacular diving touchdown catch ... Added two catches for 48 yards in Peach Bowl vs. Clemson ...

2002 -
        Games/Started: 13/10 ... Tied for team lead with 39 catches ... Ranked second on 2003 team with 477 yards receiving ... Lone touchdown reception was crucial in Vols’ six-overtime victory against Arkansas ... Big scoring play was 25-yard touchdown reception on Tennessee’s first play in fourth overtime vs. Razorbacks ... Started season with 15 catches for 152 yards in Vols’ first two games ... Those games against Wyoming and Middle Tennessee were first career starts ... Had two catches for 57 yards vs. Georgia ... Recorded three catches for 40 yards in victory over Vanderbilt ... Had key 15-yard catch on third down in Vols’ second scoring drive against Vanderbilt ... Earned Harvey Robinson Award as most improved offensive player during spring drills ...

2001 - Games/Started: 11/0 ... Saw action in every contest but Kentucky and SEC Championship Game ... Part of talented back-up receiving corps battling for playing time ...

2000 - Redshirted ...

HIGH SCHOOL - Named to PrepStar All-America squad ... All-State, All-Region and All-County performer in 1998 and 1999 ... Broke two school records held by former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin ... Set records for most catches in season with 57 and 12 touchdowns (Irvin had 55 catches and 11 TDs) ... Four-year starter at wide receiver ... Helped guide team to Class 4A state championship with seven catches for 120 yards and one touchdown in title game ... Also helped team to 1997 state crown ... During four years, team’s overall record was 52-6 ... Selected to play in Florida-Georgia All-Star Game ... Also participated in basketball … Coach at St. Thomas Aquinas High School: George Smith..

RUSHING STATISTICS
        Class/Year
        NO
        YDS
        AVG
        TD
        LONG
        So. 2002
        --
        Jr. 2003
        --
        TOTALS
        -- --
        RECEIVING STATISTICS
        Class/Year
        NO
        YDS
        AVG
        TD
        LONG
        So. 2002
        48-UG
        Jr. 2003
        40-DU
        TOTALS
        48-UG

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

The most important thing in that scouting report is that Tony Brown has my birthday.

he must be really good.

Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

Here's some info on Goldsburry from NFL Draft Insider:

Height/Weight: 6'1", 245
            40 yd-dash: 4.73

STRENGTHS: Classic overachiever who gets the most out of his ability...Has good size and a solid frame...Has a high motor and is always giving 100%...Smart player...Very tough...Has shown some potential as a runner and pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES: Is not the most devastating blocker around, althought it's not for lack of effort...Is a limited natural athlete...Does everything well but nothing great...May have maxed out his potential and have a limited upside.

NOTES: Won't amaze you with his physical gifts but the type of guy you hate to doubt...A nice all-around fullback prospect who will get more than a look due to his top intangibles and attitude.

His Official Bio from Purdue:

Height/Weight: 6'3", 245
            Hometown: Santa Claus, Indiana

2004: Named Best Special Teams Kamikaze in Big Ten by The Sporting News.

2003: Academic All-Big Ten ... received athletics department Durham Brothers Leadership Award ... appeared in all 13 games, including one start ... had seven tackles (3 solo, 4 assists) as backup linebacker and special teams performer and also served as fullback ... had 8-yard kickoff return vs. Bowling Green on Sept. 6 ... recorded season-high two tackles vs. Arizona on Sept. 20 ... caught 14-yard pass at Wisconsin on Oct. 18 ... also had lone rushing attempt (for no yards) in that game ... started at fullback at Indiana on Nov. 22.

2002: Appeared in all 12 games as reserve and on special teams ... had 25 tackles (15 solo, 10 assists) ... recorded career-high eight tackles (5 solo, 3 assists) vs. Wake Forest on Sept. 21 ... had four tackles (1 solo, 3 assists) and blocked an extra point at Northwestern on Oct. 26 ... played fullback in goal-line offense and had two carries for two yards, including 2-yard touchdown at Iowa on Oct. 5.

2001: Appeared in eight games as reserve and on special teams ... did not record any tackles.

2000: Did not play ... sidelined most of season with torn knee ligament ... underwent surgery that included cleaning up scar tissue formed during high school.

High School: Rushed for 1,009 yards (8.5 average per carry) with 22 touchdowns as senior en route to being named area and conference Most Valuable Player ... earned all-conference and all-area honors ... Mr. Football top 40 finalist ... had 42.9-yard punting average ... team won back-to-back conference championships his junior and senior seasons ... coach was Bob Clayton ... regarded as a top five hurdler in the state of Indiana ... also participated in wrestling ... named "Most Athletic" of his senior class. Personal: Give name is Jonathan Ray Goldsberry ... born Dec. 4, 1981 ... computer graphics technology major ... enjoys hunting and fishing.
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

i hope this goldsberry kid does come in and raise hell.shelton isn't nothing that great.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

"They have a guy playing fullback who’s 33 and gets injured." Goldsberry said. "(I’m) going to Buffalo and raising hell."

This will be fun to watch as training camp gets closer!!

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                  i hope this goldsberry kid does come in and raise hell.shelton isn't nothing that great.
                  even espn analysts agreed he got robbed by not getting in the pro bowl. it takes a lot for anyone to take not of how well a full-back is doing. shelton did a great job last year
                  the dude abides

Comment

• camelcowboy
                    • Mar 2005

Agreed, but is anyone feeling like our offense will be really young and inexpienced this year.

It just feels like were taking steps backward

Comment

• Spielmanrules54
                      • Mar 2005

I was particularly pleased with how well Shelton was knocking around linebackers last year. Not quite Sam Gash in his prime, but a good blocking fullback nonetheless.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Tony Brown

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Jon Goldsberry

2004: Named Best Special Teams Kamikaze in Big Ten by The Sporting News.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Spielmanrules54
                            I was particularly pleased with how well Shelton was knocking around linebackers last year. Not quite Sam Gash in his prime, but a good blocking fullback nonetheless.
                            I like Shelton a lot too... thought he had a pro-bowl kinda year.... BUt i like this kid's attitude.. I hope he attacks LB's the way he does press conferences.

Comment

• Bulldog
                              Top Dog
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

This will be fun to watch as training camp gets closer!!

That quote is priceless. I'm thinking this guy will be involved in some fights this year at training camp. I'd be interested to see what he can do on special teams.
                              I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

Working...
                              X