• Show
Clear All
  • jeffhcb
    • Oct 2004

Weiler Chimes In...and I agree with him

Bills’ Draft Falls Well Short of Meeting Pressing Needs
    By Mark Weiler
    April 24, 2005
    It cannot be any clearer at this point and given the Bills’ offseason strategy over the past several seasons that they simply do not place a high value in having an outstanding offensive line. Well, this season should either validate the Commander Tom era notions that blood can in fact be drawn from a stone or that in fact one does need a solid line in the NFL to achieve offensive success. While last season’s skewed scoring success appears to have masked the truth behind one of the worst offenses in the league in terms of moving the ball, the cold reality of the situation will catch up to these Bills this fall.

Boy howdy! A role playing wide receiver and a tight end that can’t block. Ahhhh yes! What a productive first day indeed. Perhaps I should have found something a little more relevant to occupy my time on Saturday during the draft, something such as doing laundry, mopping floors, or heck, even cleaning my floors with a toothbrush would have been time more effectively spent. Had I known in advance, I could have scheduled something a bit more enjoyable such as gum surgery.

Before proceeding in the analysis of the Bills’ 2005 draft, allow it to be firmly restated that the Bills largest needs heading into this draft were offensive tackle, left tackle to be precise, offensive guards, a center, all three for both starters and depth, cornerback, defensive tackle, safety, defensive end, and linebacker, both middle and outside. Perhaps the four biggest non-need areas on this team were WR, TE, QB, and RB.

Read the rest here: http://billsbuzz.com/billsbuzz/pages...005/240405.htm

Last edited by Dozerdog; 04-25-2005, 06:57 PM.
  • regor
    • Jul 2002

Meanwhile, as the first selection on day two in the fourth round, the Bills overstepped Jason Brown, center, UNC and Ben Wilkerson among numerous others ranked more highly by most to reach for Raymond "Duke" Preston.

Does'nt bother to mention Wilkerson went undrafted. The "commander Tom" angle was funny once. He did not need to repeat it 100 times

Comment

• regor
      • Jul 2002

There is already evidence that players in free agency are avoiding the Bills. That figures to worsen next season.

Where is the evidence?

Comment

• jeffhcb
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by regor
        There is already evidence that players in free agency are avoiding the Bills. That figures to worsen next season.

Where is the evidence?
        Demulling went to Detroit instead of Buff for not a lot of money.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
          • Jul 2002

I would pay money to see his "column" here after the first preseason game of 2003.

Classic.

Comment

• regor
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jeffhcb
            Demulling went to Detroit instead of Buff for not a lot of money.

..........but we offered less. FA going for the biggest offer is nothing new. Mark just likes to *****.

Comment

• helmetguy
              Touch the helmet for luck
              • Sep 2002

He WOULD have been more productive mopping floors, doing laundry, etc. No doubt he's more skillful in those endeavors than he is in writing and analysis.
              Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
              And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

He is correct in the point that we don't have a left tackle this year. I am going to let it play out though. He just writes with that style that totally gets under your skin, almost as if he is explaining something to a complete ******.

Comment

• BAM
                  • Sep 2003

Mark is a pretty crafty and intelligent writer but I have to say I disagree with 95% of what I just read.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Mark simply fails to realize that MM is building this team to his liking - with fast, skilled offensive players and anonymous O-linemen that McNally will build into a functional unit.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you can count on Mark to be pissed at Donahoe and down on the team.

When he is happy about what we are doing then I will be scared!!!

Comment

• gonzo1105
                        • Jul 2002

Yea I find it really funny that everyone has a hankering for Ben Wilkerson but then why was he passed up on 255 picks if he is so good. That is what I dont understand. People get too caught up in what the scouting reports by some of these draft books say. Just cause a draft book says oh hes definetely a 3rd round pick people assume he'll be a 3rd round pick...and then people go why the hell didn't he get picked...maybe cause scouts know more then draft books. Thats why I say let it play out. With basically the same line last year(minus Jennings) they played exceptionally especially in pass protection.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                          • Mar 2004

For posting any of the drivel that moronic hack weiler "writes"

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

At wide receiver, one would think that Evans, Moulds, Reed, Aiken, and Smith would be more than adequate especially given that the Bills now have a QB that can do something other than launch long balls as a sole strength. For a team that Coach Mularkey promised would be a "smashmouth running team", the Bills surely have spent an inordinate amount of top resources into improving a passing game since his arrival. Clue: Actions not matching statements!
                            Agreed.

With Syracuse OT Adam Terry sitting there ripe for the picking, the choice was obvious. The 6’8"/330 lb. tackle with an enormous amount of upside was made for the Bills. Apparently Commander Tom and the Blight Brigade saw it differently however. I’m sure out of One Bills Drive we’ll be hearing about how the 5’9"/168 lb. Parrish can also convert to LT if need be. The spin should certainly be entertaining and amusing whatever it is.
                            Big time agree.

It is all but a given that neither Parrish nor Everett will ever be consummate players at their respective positions...
                            Disagree. Who knows at this point. Yes Parrish is a runt, but at slot he could be very effective. There's nothing to suggest Everett won't be good either.

With Teague and Villarrial’s performances now fading as they age, and with Teague’s status as a free agent following the season, given that the Bills’ only two other linemen worth a damp one are underachiever cap-cow Mike Williams and Mr. Immobility Bennie Anderson, somehow stocking the offensive line springs to mind. Call me crazy, but supposing Teague leaves after the season and Villarrial, due to either age or injury, something that the Bills have had the sun shining up their tailpipe on regarding the offensive line in recent seasons, is no longer viable, not exactly a ridiculous possibility, it would seem to me that perhaps beginning to find their replacements would be a good idea. And let’s suppose Williams does not improve enough and refuses to restructure after the season? Gosh, the Bills could very well be looking for an entire line next season.
                            Valid points.

But I really hate his writing style. He diminishes the good things he says with all the drivel, repetition, wisecracks and immaturity.

Comment

• The_Philster
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                              He is correct in the point that we don't have a left tackle this year. I am going to let it play out though. He just writes with that style that totally gets under your skin, almost as if he is explaining something to a complete ******.
                              No doubt...kinda like John Madden
                              Originally posted by BAM
                              Mark is a pretty crafty and intelligent writer but I have to say I disagree with 95% of what I just read.
                              I like Mark, but he's not a good writer...and I'm not talking about hating what he says. He just repeats himself ad nauseum. If he cut his articles in half, he'd say just about as much.
                              Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                              As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you can count on Mark to be pissed at Donahoe and down on the team.

When he is happy about what we are doing then I will be scared!!!
                              too true
                              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                              X