Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBS Sportsline

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Post CBS Sportsline

Inside slant
    Coach Mike Mularkey has scheduled a team-high of four night practices for training camp, a decision that's filled with so many positives it's hard to believe NFL teams don't practice every day under the lights in the summertime. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/8597735

Notes, quotes
    "J.P. needs to make friends with those five starting linemen as soon as he can. On the field he has to let his blockers know where he'll be. I played with two different types of quarterbacks. With Jim Kelly, you knew where he would be because he couldn't move around that much. With Doug Flutie, you never knew where he was going to be." - Bills Wall of Fame center Kent Hull, talking about what new QB J.P. Losman needs to do to be successful. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/8597736

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: CBS Sportsline

Quote Originally Posted by The_Philster
    Inside slant
    Coach Mike Mularkey has scheduled a team-high of four night practices for training camp, a decision that's filled with so many positives it's hard to believe NFL teams don't practice every day under the lights in the summertime. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/8597735

Notes, quotes
    "J.P. needs to make friends with those five starting linemen as soon as he can. On the field he has to let his blockers know where he'll be. I played with two different types of quarterbacks. With Jim Kelly, you knew where he would be because he couldn't move around that much. With Doug Flutie, you never knew where he was going to be." - Bills Wall of Fame center Kent Hull, talking about what new QB J.P. Losman needs to do to be successful. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/8597736

I think for a seasond Oline it would be tough to protect a running QB but for a line that's not a strength, for your team could spell problems. I think it would be in JP's best interest to avoid running and stay in the pocket. This could add to the growing pains of JP. He has a strong arm that should be a plus to teach him to be a pocket passer. I don't think there were many scrambling or running QB's to reach the SB. I think Steve Young is one of the few to do it. I also think Sam Wyche will try to convince JP not to panic and to be patient.
    If used correctly JP's runnig could devolp into a weapon, but not if it's his first thought.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A big part of it is usually in the growth of the QB..knowing when and when not to run...usually a running QB will learn that over time. Vick is still learning...Flutie never really did

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The_Philster
    A big part of it is usually in the growth of the QB..knowing when and when not to run...usually a running QB will learn that over time. Vick is still learning...Flutie never really did
    And to think all the hype that went into Vicks future, he's a glorified RB. He has an arm thats second to none, but what good is it if you can't connect on a wide open WR streaking across the middle??? D.McNabb came into the league as a running QB but has evolved into a pocket QB, and the same could be said for D.Culpepper. I think a running QB is just too inconsistent to play at the pro level. Teams are bigger faster and smarter at the pro level and seeing how important the QB is in the pros his health is key aswell and if you run, you take much more of a pounding.
    Also the best QB's in the game today and in the past have be pocket passers there is a reason for that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Favre's a runner but I'd rank him as one of the best to play over the last 10 years...big part of it is coaching..they can be taught how to know when and when not to run. But the ones that don't learn are quite often the result of coaches not realizing how to utilize them best

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You think Sam Wyche could take Vick to a whole new level?
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Knows More Than You Italian Stallion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore
    You think Sam Wyche could take Vick to a whole new level?
    I was just gonna post that, I think so....Vick has no coaching, never did since he came into the league
    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down. ShadowHawk7's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

- "The Bills will save $2 million against this year's salary cap sometime in July by spreading out $3 million in roster bonuses Mike Williams is scheduled to get this summer. That will put his cap figure at $7.46 million and provide a cap cushion. It doesn't look like a more extensive reworking of his contract will happen this year."

Another 2 mill.. for what I wonder..
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

vick has accuracy problems.. he always has.. even from back when i went to vtech with him.. it is correct that he has the strongest arm that i have ever seen.. a pure specemin, but what good is it, like FTP said.. he cant hit open receivers..

vick is fun to watch and i root for him, but i dont ever think he will be great.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

VERBA!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain
    I don't think there were many scrambling or running QB's to reach the SB.
    Sure, there will be times when Losman will have the occasional designed roll out or run, but I doubt that there is a plan to have Losman run the ball all the time.

It helps to have a QB that can make plays with his feet when the opportunity presents itself. Remember superbowl XIX?

Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls Bill Brasky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think it would be in JP's best interest to avoid running and stay in the pocket. This could add to the growing pains of JP. He has a strong arm that should be a plus to teach him to be a pocket passer. I don't think there were many scrambling or running QB's to reach the SB.

If used correctly JP's runnig could devolp into a weapon, but not if it's his first thought.
    That's what has been done w/ McNabb and now he's one of the best QB's in the league. I hope Wyche and MM do the same w/ JP.

If people were smart enough to work w/ Vick and teach him to pass first, run second, he could be one of the best QB's ever... until that happens, I consider him one of the most overrated QB's of all time. His accuracy could be improved if somebody worked with him, but everyone is too enamoured w/ his "running" ability.

Registered User wchutalkinboutwillis's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think for a seasond Oline it would be tough to protect a running QB but for a line that's not a strength, for your team could spell problems. I think it would be in JP's best interest to avoid running and stay in the pocket. This could add to the growing pains of JP. He has a strong arm that should be a plus to teach him to be a pocket passer. I don't think there were many scrambling or running QB's to reach the SB. I think Steve Young is one of the few to do it. I also think Sam Wyche will try to convince JP not to panic and to be patient.
    Thanks for the very intelligent insight. You should call Mularkey himself and let him know your thoughts. BTW, I think Elway, Favre, and Gannon are/were considered effective scramblers. Then again, that's only what? 8 SuperBowls?

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by wchutalkinboutwillis
    Thanks for the very intelligent insight. You should call Mularkey himself and let him know your thoughts. BTW, I think Elway, Favre, and Gannon are/were considered effective scramblers. Then again, that's only what? 8 SuperBowls?
    There is a difference between what JP does and what Favre, Elway and Gannon did/do. They all threw first and would run last JP will think run first before he thinks pass...see the difference here??? Just because those QB's would run occasionally doesn't qualify them as scrambling QB's it simply means they weren't permanent fixtures in the backfield. Would you put those QB's in the same categorey as Vick?.... No!.... Why??? Because Vick will have nearly as many yrds rushing as his RB every year when did Elway, Favre, or Gannon ever do that?? Thas the difference between a scrambling QB and running QB!!!

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is a difference between what JP does and what Favre, Elway and Gannon did/do. They all threw first and would run last JP will think run first before he thinks pass...see the difference here??? Just because those QB's would run occasionally doesn't qualify them as scrambling QB's it simply means they weren't permanent fixtures in the backfield. Would you put those QB's in the same categorey as Vick?.... No!.... Why??? Because Vick will have nearly as many yrds rushing as his RB every year when did Elway, Favre, or Gannon ever do that?? Thas the difference between a scrambling QB and running QB!!!
    You are talking in future tense? What JP "will" do??? You have no idea what JP will do nor what effect Wyche's coaching will have on him. As much as you like to say that Bills fans jump the gun with optimism from an "unproven" QB - you jump the gun with negativity, pessimism and hope what of what JP will do.

If you need to worry about anyone, it should be Feeley who doesn't move much and still has a crappy line around him!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cool Scrambling QB....

JP is not Mike "Mexico" Vick. I live in Atlanta and they will never win a SB with Mike Vick. He is very exciting and sells tickets but he is not that good a passer. I think JP is going to be alot more like Favre. You are 3rd and 3 and he can get you the first down running or passing. He's also alot more accurate than Vick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As much as you like to say that Bills fans jump the gun with optimism from an "unproven" QB - you jump the gun with negativity, pessimism and hope what of what JP will do.
    And you do the same with Feeley...once again, take your own advice!!

If you need to worry about anyone, it should be Feeley who doesn't move much and still has a crappy line around him!
    And your line is what??? Your coach and GM did nothing to help your pathetic line. You have some nerve calling out anyone elses line.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And your line is what??? Your coach and GM did nothing to help your pathetic line. You have some nerve calling out anyone elses line.
    Our Ol wasn't as bad as yours. Our Ol went from dead last to middle of the pack in Mcnally's first year. They are now on their 2nd year while yours are playing a new system w/ a new HC ,OC and OL coach.

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And you do the same with Feeley...once again, take your own advice!!
    Yes, but I've seen Feeley play for a number of years now and he hasn't impressed. He was a 3rd stringer for a reason and would probably make a good backup to someone...You haven't seen what JP has to offer yet. He is an unknown to you...and all you can do is show your hate and hope he does terrible. No doubt if he has a good or even decent season, you will say he was just lucky and that he won't repeat it...and each year you will have a new excuse???

And if the fins have a losing season again??? What will be your excuse? That you are in rebuilding mode???

Our line isn't great, but isn't as bad as you make it sound either. Remember those 6 games we won in a row during the mid-last season? Do you also remember the number of sacks dropping dramatically from the year before? And how about the fact that we now have a statue-less QB? Or that Mike Williams is back in shape and we now have a road grater for LG??? Everybody is down on Gandy, but this helps to show our current status:

With two new starters and the presence of an untested starting quarterback, offensive line coach Jim McNally will be challenged to mold the front five into a cohesive and consistent unit that can protect the passer and blast open holes for the running backs. McNally is working with a new left side as Mike Gandy takes over at tackle and Ravens free agent Bennie Anderson steps in at guard. While Anderson is an established pro, Gandy is a question mark. He was cut by the Bears and has much to prove. McNally, who excels at teaching techniques and fundamentals, believes Gandy has the skills to succeed. It will be up McNally to bring it out of him.

If McNally things Gandy has the skills that are needed, I'm willing to take his word more than yours or anyone elses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I call out your line b'cse you make it seem like they will be a brick wall this year all of a sudden - just b'cse you have a new O-line coach. The best you can hope for is that they will be slightly improved - which isn't hard compared to what they were last year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Miami had one of the worst, if not the worst, o-lines in the NFL last year. What have they done to address that situation? My only real concern with Buffalo's line is the LT position. If Gandy can't hold his own, I think Buffalo's in trouble.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.