Thread: Do we really need a DL upgrade this year?

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Do we really need a DL upgrade this year?

I posted this in another thread, but it was sort of off topic. We need to get some debate goin, so somebody please disagree with me

SHOULD WE BRING IN A FA D-LINEMAN?

I say no. Here's why. I think TD an company know that next year is the year the bills are gonna me a run at the super bowl. We have a lot of young guys on the d-line right now, and with experience this year, several of them could step up and turn into solid starters. If we bring in a FA, one of them has got to go, and the others wont see significant time and wont improve. What if we are giving up on these young guys too early? It takes several years for these guys to become solid-just look at pat williams. I am not ready to throw in the towel on guys like office, flowers, robertson, and the rest of the crew. I think that between the many young guys we have, at least 2 of them will prove they can play. And rotating all of them this season will keep our DL fresh and fast, and give them all valuable experience. Then next year, we can evaluate, and if no one has produced, get a DT wit the extra cap space we will have (and perhaps be able to spend MORE MONEY and get a better one).

your thoguhts?

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I agree with you on the 2-3 year plan. Looks like they loaded up on offense this year, as the line was horrible. Added a couple of WR for when Price goes FA next year. Next year they will load up on D. Looks like they've done about as much as they could do in one year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think we look pretty good... if everything pans out, we can expect the offense to lighten the playing time required by the Defense, and with our experienced corners, and solid MLB, we can focus just a little more on the run than last year. We had so many pass defense breakdowns last year, the 46D really never ran to its potential. The 46 is based on solid corners and a solid MLB to free up an OLB for blitzing. We didnt have that last year.

Jeffblue19, True Blue fan DrewBlue11's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I think TD made GREAT strides toward my goal of 2003 this year. The offense is getting there. Next offseason, there'll be more money to make BOTH lines better (the O-Line isn't as good as it could be yet). Our D-Line could use a Kearse (i know that's a stretch) and another run stuffer in the middle. I think we will be able to at least take a run at some good (to VERY good) talent next offseason.
    Mark My Word...This team is building...they're on their way up...they're coming back. Buffalo Bills...2003 AFC East Champions.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Kearse isn't an FA next year he is signed through 2003. He becomes an FA in 2004 so if we were gonna get him it will be in 2005 cause you know that the Titans will slap on a Franchise or Transition tag on him