BFZ Hockey Commissioner Don Cherry's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres need to find spot for Miller

Sabres need to find spot for Miller

Buffalo News

1/1/2003

By BUCKY GLEASON
    Ryan Miller was answering questions from Mika Noronen's stall in the Buffalo Sabres' dressing room Tuesday night, and for once he looked out of place. The Sabres still haven't found a permanent spot for Miller to hang his equipment, another sign they haven't an inkling who's coming or going.

Miller said he felt different after a 1-0 overtime loss to the New York Islanders than he did six weeks ago, when jitters accompanied his first visit to the National Hockey League. He was more confidant, more in command. He was the best player on the ice Tuesday night while making 25 saves.

The overtime goal means little. The Sabres should think about making room for him for the remainder of the season. They need to make a commitment to a goaltender, and Miller is the best one in the organization. This kid is ready, and this kid is for real.

"I'm just trying to build a game at the NHL level and prove that I do deserve to be here, whether my time is now or in the future sometime," Miller said. "It's up to other people. My job is to stop the puck and show up with some confidence every night so the boys can do their thing."

General Manager Darcy Regier should start shopping Martin Biron and Mika Noronen roughly yesterday. Heaven knows the Sabres need help. Anyway, Regier and coach Lindy Ruff already have made a mess of the goaltending situation.

Last edited by Don Cherry; 01-01-2003 at 10:41 PM.