Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why draft a QB?

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Why draft a QB?

Bledsoe has 5 more years left as it seems right now....If we draft a guy he'll wait in the wings 5 years, and we're paying a huge rookie salary for him to sit on the bench.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Good question. Did someone actually suggest that we do?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    It was brought up on another thread. ....Stinking it up...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    I don't think we draft a QB, but I wouldn't mind upgrading our #2, AVP is OK, but if Drew were to go down for any length of time we could be hurting. AVP doesn't have the arm for our vertical attack!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    We shouldn't have to stretch the field all the time though. Alex can get it downfield when he needs to but short passes and runs (i.e. ball control offense)are what win championships most of the time.

Visually stunning but camera-shy. Cntrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,603 Times in 4,539 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    yeah... I seem to remember in the first patsie game where Brady threw almost nothing but underneath.... and we couldn't catch on.
    The gained first down after first down.... :madfire:
    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    You guys are right you don't need a vertical passng game, but I remember last year how teams shut our passing game down with AVP starting and after the San Fran game. They new we couldn't go deep and just played Zone and took away all the passing lanes.

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    If we draft a QB, what do we do with Travis Brown. Wasn't he suppose to be our QB of the future before Bledsoe came?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    If I remember right, the same people who think Drew is so great are the same people who can't stand AVP. Not to mention, they're also the same people who call anyone who says anything negative about Drew, "Brown Lovers". Maybe that's why it was brought up?

As for the original question, if only there were quality QB's out there to chose from, by the time our pick came around, since someone already mentioned what happens if Drew gets hurt
    and since the Drew lovers feel that way about AVP & Brown,...well, I think you get the picture.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    AVP is a good back-up....But not a starter. He is one of the better back-ups in the league and if Drew goes down we're still in good shape as far as the QB is concerned.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Yes, AVP is a good back up, I never said he wasn't.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    On the other hand....if Drew is so great, and AVP is just a back up, then let's say more people see Drew for what he really is (or isn't) as a QB, and it's a neg view and also 3 years later...
    Do we bring in a new QB then and hope AVP is still here? Or do we pick up some young talent to be groomed sooner?

I guess it depends on;
    1) ones opinion of today's Drew...
    2) what pick the Bills get/in what round...
    3) what's out there to chose from at the time...
    4) will AVP still be back up....
    5) if not, more ?'s right there...
    6) what's our cap..

Those are just some of the things I'm thinking about...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    We need to at least start bringing in possible successors at QB. Have the young guy, once he's chosen, take most of the #2 snaps (AVP can still be the #2 in games...he's smart enough to do the job with fewer reps).

Drew and Sam stole all my hair WG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Why draft a QB?

Originally posted by 4thAndLong
    Bledsoe has 5 more years left as it seems right now....If we draft a guy he'll wait in the wings 5 years, and we're paying a huge rookie salary for him to sit on the bench.
    5 years, eh?

I think that at the rate Drew takes sacks, as he enters his 30s he'll be lucky to finish most seasons. The guy's a statue w/ cement shoes on top of it. He's as bad as Mark Rypien was.

Also, we have two years left before we either need to sign his extension outright or renegotiate the deal which will be tough given it's longetivity. I don't think he'll be our QB after '04 and I'll be surprised if he isn't taking quite a bit more heat from the fans beginning at some point thru next season.

He's an average QB who has built a reputation on yardage, attempts, and completions, not scores/TDs, points, or wins.

Many teams find a diamond in the rough or simply a QB drafted in rounds 2-5 that simply seems to work out well. All we need is a QB who can throw short-medium but who has the arm strength to go downfield when necessary to keep the D honest and use the strength of Moulds to get open downfield. Drew can go deep, but as a short passer, he leaves much to be desired. Some of his worst INTs are on the short passes.

I would still like to see what Brown can do. He may be strictly a third stringer. But we'll never know until he plays. In the meantime, heck, if we can find another QB who can throw short better than Drew and who still has the ability to deliver the deep ball, why wouldn't we want to try him? Suggesting "absolutely not" only implies blind loyalty to Drew. It's not the Bledsoe Bills, it's the Buffalo Bills although after this season that line is becoming grayer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    hey I say if Chris Simms or Eli Manning are there in the 3rd or 4th rounds we take one of them if Manning comes out this yearlike has been talked about on espn insider.
    lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Re: Why draft a QB?

Originally posted by Wys Guy

I don't think he'll be our QB after '04
    I agree. That is why I would like to see the Bills Draft a QB in the 2004 draft

Since Bledsoe did good in the first half of the season, I think it would be unfair to draft a QB this year (except a 7th rounder or something) although it is WAY to early to say he will last 5 years. I have very high standards as a Bills fan and Bledsoe's play over the 2nd half of the season and in big games just does not cut it.

Byrd.

Drew and Sam stole all my hair WG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I agree w/ ya Bert. Again, IMO last year was the year to address the Defensive needs via the draft and FAcy. This year is ripe w/ QBs.

We obviously need to address our defensive needs first, but I agree that if a good QB prospect is available, then we need to draft him in rd. 2.

I'd like to see Brown get some playing time w/ the first unit next preseason as well. I see no reason to keep Van Pelt. Great guy, fan favorite. But that won't help us win games. I can't imagine that Brown is any worse anyway. He certainly did not play worse in the limited action he saw behind a sketchy OL last season.

If Drew continues to play poorly against the top teams or gets hurt as I suspect he will taking all those sacks, then we're gonna need a QB and if that QB comes in and plays well, it's gonna be another situation like in N.E. We can't keep forcing Drew into a mold that he was not meant to be in simply b/c we traded a first round pick. Yet, that's what will happen. They'll say "we don't want to give up on him so early" as if he's a second or third year guy in the NFL w/ no history otherwise.

Brown has the arm strength to get the ball downfield, I saw it myself. If we can get the same production out of him for a fraction of the cost, then let's do it. Or another. Yardage and attempt records are one thing, points scored/TDs, and wins are yet another. Wins and TDs/points scored is what we need.

Who can imagine a QB playing for Buffalo and it's current roster that can't put up at least 20 TDs? I can't. Unless they guy's a total stiff.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    maybe we should trade up to get carson palmer...

I don't see simms or manning there in the 3rd round, i think they'll both be gone. I wouldn't have a problem drafting a qb in later rounds though, depending on who it is. People like Cliff Kingsbury intrigue me, a guy who has racked up monster stats in college, but isn't the prototype QB physically. I wouldn't mind snagging a guy like him, he's been a winner everywhere, and he'll be there in later rounds. worth a shot.

I'm Really 4 and Short
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I meant this year and the next, wys...

Not 3 years from now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    SoCal is Kingsbury a mobile QB I know Manning and Simms aren't that mobile more then Drew but still not that mobile, Mobile QB's are my Favorite hence McNabb, Favre, McNair