X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Jesse
    • Sep 2004

Saying Vick is a bad QB is ridiculous

I don’t know what ideas some of you have about football or if you just think completely subjectively when it comes to this kind of stuff, but to say Michael Vick is a bad NFL QB is simply outrageous.

For those of you who think like that, I say this: football is about much more than Fantasy stats. I’m starting to realize that’s why so many people think that way about this guy. He doesn’t put up good fantasy numbers, so he must suck!

Is he the most accurate QB in the league? Absolutely not. Will he make a lot of mistakes in the passing game? Yes. I understand all this and agree.

But, as an offensive coach, Michael Vick gives me the ability to do ANYTHING I want on offense. As an opposing defensive coach, he makes me have to account for him on EVERY single play, regardless of down and distance. And that includes running AND throwing. You know, he does actually complete a pass once in a while. And some of them are pretty long ones, believe it or not.

Saying Vick is not a good QB because he doesn’t throw as well as other QB’s is like saying Deion wasn’t a good CB in his prime because he didn’t tackle as well (if at all) as other CB’s.

And besides all that, Vick QB’d his team to the NFC title game last season. Would the Falcons have made it that far with Shaub at QB? With JP Losman? With Drew Bledsoe? No way.

Michael Vick is a very high risk, high reward QB, but he has the ability to change a game on every single play. Saying he’s no good if you “take away his running,” is like saying Jerry Rice was no good “if you take away his catching.” It’s stupid. Every QB has different strengths and weaknesses. Being at least able to run is part of most QB’s job descriptions. Some just do it more often than others. And some better than others.

The biggest issue I have with him is that he’s not a West Coast QB and they’re trying to make him one.

So, you can call the guy a “glorified running back” all you want. I call him a guy who scares the living hell out of me as a defensive coach and a guy (provided he stays healthy) who will prolong my career as an offensive coach
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Saying Vick is a bad QB is ridiculous

Great Post Lindell!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• feelthepain
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LindellSucks
      I don’t know what ideas some of you have about football or if you just think completely subjectively when it comes to this kind of stuff, but to say Michael Vick is a bad NFL QB is simply outrageous.

For those of you who think like that, I say this: football is about much more than Fantasy stats. I’m starting to realize that’s why so many people think that way about this guy. He doesn’t put up good fantasy numbers, so he must suck!

Is he the most accurate QB in the league? Absolutely not. Will he make a lot of mistakes in the passing game? Yes. I understand all this and agree.

But, as an offensive coach, Michael Vick gives me the ability to do ANYTHING I want on offense. As an opposing defensive coach, he makes me have to account for him on EVERY single play, regardless of down and distance. And that includes running AND throwing. You know, he does actually complete a pass once in a while. And some of them are pretty long ones, believe it or not.

Saying Vick is not a good QB because he doesn’t throw as well as other QB’s is like saying Deion wasn’t a good CB in his prime because he didn’t tackle as well (if at all) as other CB’s.

And besides all that, Vick QB’d his team to the NFC title game last season. Would the Falcons have made it that far with Shaub at QB? With JP Losman? With Drew Bledsoe? No way.

Michael Vick is a very high risk, high reward QB, but he has the ability to change a game on every single play. Saying he’s no good if you “take away his running,” is like saying Jerry Rice was no good “if you take away his catching.” It’s stupid. Every QB has different strengths and weaknesses. Being at least able to run is part of most QB’s job descriptions. Some just do it more often than others. And some better than others.

The biggest issue I have with him is that he’s not a West Coast QB and they’re trying to make him one.

So, you can call the guy a “glorified running back” all you want. I call him a guy who scares the living hell out of me as a defensive coach and a guy (provided he stays healthy) who will prolong my career as an offensive coach
      But, as an offensive coach, Michael Vick gives me the ability to do ANYTHING I want on offense. As an opposing defensive coach, he makes me have to account for him on EVERY single play
      How can you do anything you want if your QB is one dimensional???
      Make him throw the whole game and he's less then avg. Brady and Manning are not runnunig QB's they are thinking QB's and they scare me far more then Vick. It's great that he can run, but as you saw in the NFC championship game, what good was that??
      A good D will shut Vick down 9 outa 10 times. I'm sick of hearing him being labled an "elite" QB, He's far from it.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Vick is the most OVERRATED player in the NFL!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

the only accurate part of that was the "high risk, high reward" statement. Vick's a hell of an athlete but he just doesn't understand football. If he knew how to read defenses and check off on receivers, he could be the best QB in the NFL. Instead, every time his guy is covered, he scrambles or dumps off to Crumpler.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Vick is certaintly not a great passer, but he is a great athelete and he is very important to his team.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              I don't think I agree with that. Look at the Falcon's record with and without him....

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

The Falcons win when they can rush trhe ball effectively with Dunn & what's his face.

Without the threat of a running game, Vick is like most QBs- easier to defend. But I would hate to try and defend him in a 2 minute drill.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                  I don't think I agree with that. Look at the Falcon's record with and without him....
                  Ah thank you.

Comment

• vicmantak
                    • Jun 2005

I would say Vick is the most OVERPAID player in the NFL...

$130 million with a guaranteed $37 million is just INSANE.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                    - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• MACKgahee
                      • May 2005

Vick is a great QB and i'd kill for him... Ok he got his ass kicked in the NFC champ game so he's a bad QB peyton manning didn't throw a single TD pass in his last afc champ game so he must be a bad qb too right? good job on that terrible stat his team is nothing w/o him point blank

Comment

• MACKgahee
                        • May 2005

we r still gonna kick his a$$ though

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I agree, Mikey. He's a gifted athlete and a great runner, but he has an erratic arm. QBs need to throw accurately. Vick can't.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• vicmantak
                            • Jun 2005

On the other hand, it could be sarcastic but if Bills built this team protecting the right side of the OL (Big Mike) --- IMO Vick is exactly what Bills urgently need.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                            - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

It depends on how you rate a QB. Vick does not have an accurate arm. He will never have a good QB rating as a result. His legs are much better than his arm. QB ratings are only part of the story though. The intangibles are very important. Vick has the intangibles that do not show up much on the stat sheet. Look at Bledsoe, he does not have any of the intangibles. Bledsoe usually will have a good QB rating but the intangibles suck so bad (fumbles, sacks, can't scramble) that it hurts his team. If you go by stats or by the arm Vick sucks. If you go by the intangibles than Vick is great. If you combine the intangibles and the arm you basically breakeven but since his intangibles are so high he is slightly better than average. I know Vick gets sacked a lot but he usually makes up for it with his runs.

Comment

Working...
                              X