Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Post Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

Wide receiver Lee Evans could not provide a definitive solution, but he did offer a potential starting point in the search for one.
    As the Bills' second-year wide receiver was sitting in front of his locker stall dressing for practice Wednesday, the topic of conversation turned to Buffalo's pop-gun passing game and what can be done to establish a more viable downfield attack in the coming weeks, starting Sunday night in New England.
    "Just throw it up there and see what happens," said Evans, a speed burner who is Buffalo's lone deep threat. more

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

Didn't Ralph have a suggestion (more of a warning actually) just like this last year before the Bills went on a tear?

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kind of surprising, a wide receiver wanting the ball thrown more. I bet McGahee would suggest more running plays.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, it isnt our offense that has sputtered... it is our defense. We've been able to move the ball with KH... but the problem is, we cant win in a shoot out. Our defense is the problem right now, not the offense.

If our defense doenst get anybetter, we will have to air it out, just to try to compete (just like the Rams and Colts had to do when their D's sucked)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Unhappy Re: Evans has solution for Bills: Just air it out

Quote Originally Posted by Pride
    Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, it isnt our offense that has sputtered... it is our defense. We've been able to move the ball with KH... but the problem is, we cant win in a shoot out. Our defense is the problem right now, not the offense.

If our defense doenst get anybetter, we will have to air it out, just to try to compete (just like the Rams and Colts had to do when their D's sucked)
    Hmmm. I usually agree with your points, but not on this one. I agree our D has been horrible but KH is a 400+ yard per game QB. Have we had any QB this year throw for more than 158 yards? That is ridiculous. Clements needs to be shot. Where is Evans? I have not seen Evans since the home opener where we were throwing downfield and JP looked good. Every game this year we have had a second half melt down. MM is obviously not an offensive genius. The irony here is we hired him over other canidates because we needed offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,402 Times in 13,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

one major flaw in the "just throw it downfield" strategy: In order to throw it long, the QB has to take his drop, look up to see if the long pass is there, and still have enough room around him to perform a complete throwing motion. This takes at least 2-3 seconds.

Our o-line is so bad at pass blocking that they can't provide that kind of time against most of the defenses we play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Isn't Holcomb's arm suspect for the air it out strategy?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by madness
    Isn't Holcomb's arm suspect for the air it out strategy?
    I've heard that, but he does have multiple 400 yard games in limited action, and that was in Cleveland, so it's not like he had Moss- or Owens- quality receivers. He must be able tog et at least some air under the ball

Sabres Zone
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just keep pounding McGahee up the god damn middle!!!! He can't dance his way to the outside...we can't block good enough for that to happen. Run McGahee, keep throwing screens and air it out on occasion for the long ball...I think if we have Parrish in as a reciever, teams will be pressed to double cover him because of his speed...thus opening up chances for the other receivers in Moulds and Evans.
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Teams will never have to double cover Parrish because of his size, especially not the Pats since he's yet to catch anything but a punt.

The Pats will load the middle to stop WM and make the Bills prove they can protect the QB long enough go deep to Evans or Moulds.. until the Bills can show a deep threat, stopping the run game will be the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by JD SabreFan
    Just keep pounding McGahee up the god damn middle!!!! He can't dance his way to the outside...we can't block good enough for that to happen. Run McGahee, keep throwing screens and air it out on occasion for the long ball...I think if we have Parrish in as a reciever, teams will be pressed to double cover him because of his speed...thus opening up chances for the other receivers in Moulds and Evans.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with Juice- Parrish may end up being a weapon, but he hasn't shown anything yet. There is no way in hell the Pats double-cover a 5'7" rookie receiver coming off an injury.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Teams will never have to double cover Parrish because of his size, especially not the Pats since he's yet to catch anything but a punt.

The Pats will load the middle to stop WM and make the Bills prove they can protect the QB long enough go deep to Evans or Moulds.. until the Bills can show a deep threat, stopping the run game will be the priority.
    agreed. That's exactly how opponents stopped Henry and Bledsoe in 2003 and the first part of 2004. And until our O-line shows some blocking ability for the run and protection ability for the pass, it will keep happening.

Drew's my hero!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

our play calling is crap.

we don't even call play action, that is terrible.

one thing the raiders did against us is ran medium to deep plays with the WR cutting out the corner. this was designed to exploit our blitzing, going right into the soft part of the field quickly. you'd think we would try a single play like that.

our plays are short passes, but are VERY slow to develop, we need some more aggressive lower percentage type plays, and some GD play action.

i really think clements is a poor coordinator.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE
    Have we had any QB this year throw for more than 158 yards? That is ridiculous.
    Losman threw for 170 in the opener. I believe Holcomb's high is 172.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    our play calling is crap.
    we don't even call play action, that is terrible.
    I agree play action would help, but two things:
    1. If the defense doesn't buy it, it's just one more thing to take time before the QB has to throw, thus putting more pressure on our suspect o-line.
    2. Play action fakes only work if you're running the ball well. And our coaching staff gives up on McGahee waaaay too early.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Pride

your team all around needs help. not that i have room to talk, but we both need improvment everywhere, and that also go for the jets

Registered User CanaanVtBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JD SabreFan
    MAybe if the staff sticks to what they say they'l do
    RUN THE DAMN BALL IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY
    Lets hope they staff doesn't have their normal brain fart during the game
    I'm totally for the air ball
    not so much the trick reverse plays or flea flickers, but I thought we had some speed on this team
    we got the machinery
    Moulds, Lee Evans, Smith, Even Reed Now we got a decoy in Parrish
    it's all wihful thiniking as always
    Isn't the NE secondary banged up?
    Honestly if you look at the defensive stats for both teams unless I'm reading them wrong Buffalo has the edge on most most defense
    OK yeah not in the ^*&*&^*rushing defense
    I don't know why, but honestly I'm feeling that we can beat the Pats
    If we stop the run "Obviously this has been our thorn in the side
    NE isn't like they use to be
    Yes Brady is a consistant 300+ passer, but our secondary is damn good when they want to be
    We have to play flawless ball
    Special Teams can contribute
    Run 25+ times
    Air Balls
    No Dumb Penalties
    Stay HEalthy
    Protect Holcomb
    Yeah Yeah it's the same ole solutions to a victory, but this damn teams is like night and day
    one week the D is outstanding Besides again the run
    Then they totally bomb
    I have no more damn nails to chew over this team
    COME ON BUFFALO
    TommieBoy

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BILL$ B@$HER
    your team all around needs help. not that i have room to talk, but we both need improvment everywhere, and that also go for the jets
    I hate to admit it, but I agree with you here. The worst part about this season is that the Pats have finally declined a little, and all three teams in the division are too weak to take them out. With the AFC wild card race so tight and the Pats at 3-3, knocking them out of the top of the division might keep them out of the playoffs. Unfortunately, the rest of the division sucks worse than they do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    I hate to admit it, but I agree with you here. The worst part about this season is that the Pats have finally declined a little, and all three teams in the division are too weak to take them out. With the AFC wild card race so tight and the Pats at 3-3, knocking them out of the top of the division might keep them out of the playoffs. Unfortunately, the rest of the division sucks worse than they do.
    i know, man it really sucks. im so sick of those phucin patriots and their fans

Unofficial Calgary Bills Backers President gannd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I haven't seen anything that would show me Kelly has a arm that can air it out.