X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthCarBills
    • Jan 2006

April to Asst. Head Coach is a good move

By making this move, I think April's future with the Bills is much more secure than when he simply held the "special teams coach" title. This promotion is a positive reinforcement in creating a more stable/consistent Bills organization. Stability, beyond anything else, seems to be what this team needs (from organizational/administrative to player positions to play calling).

I'll take the hiring of Fewell over Bates too. This is not to say Bates is not an attractive hire at first glance -- in fact he's obviously more qualified. However, he'd be a lame duck coordinator, and probably have his mind more focused on a promotion in 2007 to head coach somewhere - not in the Bills' success long term.

With Fewell, you're getting an energized coordinator who will probably be around for a longer term. Based on a couple of reports, he's seemed to have success developing guys in the secondary in both St. Louis and Chicago. If Clements leaves, that might bode especially well for younger upstart corners like McGee and King. Milloy and Vincent wont be around forever either, so younger FS and SS will need to be developed too. And needless to say I'll take a defensive coach from the Chicago system over most of the teams out there.

Just a couple of thoughts I wanted to share - thanks.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: April to Asst. Head Coach is a good move

Agreed across the board.

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I actually think it makes him less secure as a Bill because he's much more likely to move on to head coach somewhere else once he has a assistant HC title.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by lordofgun
        I actually think it makes him less secure as a Bill because he's much more likely to move on to head coach somewhere else once he has a assistant HC title.
        No, I disagree. B'cse now, for him to move elsewhere, the Bills have to do well so that other teams can take notice. This means, that a) if he ever wants a HC job, he needs to help get Buffalo up higher than where we've been in the last couple of years and b) until we get up high in the playoffs, he will be with us - and even if we were able to get to the playoffs next year, people would probably still wait another year to ensure that it isn't a fluke. Plus, Bates and Sherman are out there and if there are some coaching turnovers next year, they will likely be the candidates chosen before April would. All in all, I think April will be with us for a few years...I think this is a great move.

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

If April is offered an OC or DC job next year, I believe the Bills would let him go because I think that's still a promotion over Assistant HC.

Granted, the Bills would be under no obligation to let him walk to be an OC or DC, but do they want an unhappy April around after being denied a chance to advance his career elsewhere?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

I think it was a good move by the Bills. Obviously we all already know that you will get **** canned in BUffalo if you F-up. This move says that if you do your job and do it well, you're efforts do not go unnoticed.

Plus they interviewed April for the HC position. This move also says 'although we do not find that you're currently ready to lead this team, you're damn close. Stick around awhile.'

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

If being a assistant HC under DJ isnt job security and promotion opportunity I dont know what is.

Besides if teams passed on Caldwell in Indy I dont know how hard they would look at April.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• McBFLO
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NorthCarBills
                By making this move, I think April's future with the Bills is much more secure than when he simply held the "special teams coach" title. This promotion is a positive reinforcement in creating a more stable/consistent Bills organization. Stability, beyond anything else, seems to be what this team needs (from organizational/administrative to player positions to play calling).

I'll take the hiring of Fewell over Bates too. This is not to say Bates is not an attractive hire at first glance -- in fact he's obviously more qualified. However, he'd be a lame duck coordinator, and probably have his mind more focused on a promotion in 2007 to head coach somewhere - not in the Bills' success long term.

With Fewell, you're getting an energized coordinator who will probably be around for a longer term. Based on a couple of reports, he's seemed to have success developing guys in the secondary in both St. Louis and Chicago. If Clements leaves, that might bode especially well for younger upstart corners like McGee and King. Milloy and Vincent wont be around forever either, so younger FS and SS will need to be developed too. And needless to say I'll take a defensive coach from the Chicago system over most of the teams out there.

Just a couple of thoughts I wanted to share - thanks.
                Great post. I agree with you on all your points.
                Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                  I think it was a good move by the Bills. Obviously we all already know that you will get **** canned in BUffalo if you F-up. This move says that if you do your job and do it well, you're efforts do not go unnoticed.

Plus they interviewed April for the HC position. This move also says 'although we do not find that you're currently ready to lead this team, you're damn close. Stick around awhile.'
                  Great post. I totally agree.

Comment

• mybills
                    81 st zoner
                    • Jul 2002

How much influence will he have over the special team? Not the st coach, the special team.
                    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                      • Oct 2005

He will have more influence as assistant head coach both in preparation and getting players.

It also does not hurt having Marv Levy, one time ST Coordinator, as head coach

Comment

Working...
                      X