• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Re: For patmoran2006

Originally posted by keithtr
    hey pat, you are a good writer... how about you address teh same question with the real world scenario with the current administration in place.. I would be interseted in your real worl agrument to get FAs in here :)
    which is, I think, what ICE was asking to see in the first place.
    Bring in a top guy to a franchise that's coming off a 5-11 season, coming off 6 straight non-playoff years, and coming off a regime that was a PR embarassment on the level of Mike Brown and Bill Bidwell
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

FA is all about the money, usually. Pay them and they will come.

IMO, the draft is more important then FA anyways. You build a team thru the draft, you plug the holes in your team thru FA.

Pittsburg was built by the draft.
      The Bills Super Bowl teams were built by the draft.
      NE was built by the draft.

Granted they had FA pickups. But for the most part they were built by the draft.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by keithtr
        hey pat, you are a good writer... how about you address teh same question with the real world scenario with the current administration in place.. I would be interseted in your real worl agrument to get FAs in here :)
        OK.

I"m obviously referring to Jon Runyan because at this point he's the most valuable player on the market out there to me.

And I take on the role of Marv Levy, since he is our current GM.

First my statement to Ralph...
        "Mr. Wilson. This guy is a 10-year veteran, who hasnt missed a single game in nine years. He's been to multiple Pro Bowls and he has a mean streak to him.

For the past six years you had Tom as your GM. He never went out and spent the big bucks necessary to get a guy like him in here. While the big bucks to Lawyer, Sam, Takeo and London made our defense better, he never addressed our offensive line. As a result he made Drew, not mobile to begin with and JP a sitting duck in the pocket. As a result, our offense has been woeful and we've reached above .500 once in this past six years.

I know we're signing a lot of character guys who will provide us depth. But this is one spot on the line that we can't afford to get cheap and cute with. Jon will straight up spend the season knocking guys like Jason Taylor, Richard Seymour and Jonathan Vilma on their ass. If we're going to get better, we need that.

As a bonus, we have an excellent young budding tackle in Jason Peters. Having Runyan around will help his development and he'll have a Pro bowl tackle to learn from."

My offer to Jon Runyan...
        "I will pay you to be on par with the top five tackles in the NFL... You've earned it. Jeff Backus was paid franchise money in Detroit and you're 10x the player he is. I'm paying you market value because frankly, we NEED you in Buffalo."

I will also pay you a nice signing bonus upfront, that way Mr. Wilson can spread the salary cap hit out over four years and afford us the money to get a nice guard to play alongside you.

With you on board, our offensive line will be better, Willis will have more holes to run through and JP might have more time in the pocket to throw the ball.

You're a big investment. But you are worth it. This franchise needs guys like you."

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ILOVEMIBILLS
          • Apr 2003

Mr. Wilson (and I) say....

You're overpaying him and not thinking with your head. Make him an offer, but don't make him one that you really can't afford. Don't forget, their will be better guys next year than this years group. Make him an offer if you think he'd sign, but don't break my bank.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ILOVEMIBILLS
            Mr. Wilson (and I) say....

You're overpaying him and not thinking with your head. Make him an offer, but don't make him one that you really can't afford. Don't forget, their will be better guys next year than this years group. Make him an offer if you think he'd sign, but don't break my bank.
            In what way, shape or form.. Is paying a tackle who's a multi-Pro Bowler who's started EVERY GAME for NINE straight years, OVERPAYING!!!!!!!!!

Overpay = Giving Antwaan Randle El top five WR money when he's not a top five WR.

Market Value= Giving a guy who's CLEARLY a top five tackle in this league, top five money.

Can't Afford it? Moulds' cap wasted cap money is SITTING THERE.. YOu can sign TWO JON RUNYAN's with that cap room.

Wow.. thats all I can say..

And instead of a general assumption.. . exactly WHOM are this crop of better tackles next year in 2007 than Runyan currently is right now?

Comment

• L.A. Playa
              • Aug 2003

this thread has COSTED me to waste too much time

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

I was asked a question.. and I answered it.. twice

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                  • Aug 2003

If you owned the team I think it would have COSTED more than you can afford to pay for the team.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

YOu say that why?

I was asked a question by Ice.. Hence the thread "patmoran2006" and I answered it.

My approach would have been more aggressive towards two players and two players only: Runyan and Ma'ake Kemoeatu.

I think they were/are the two most important FA's out there for the Buffalo Bills and what they are trying to do. I would have paid a lot of money for them.

Runyan solidies one side of the offensive line.. and Kemo would have eaten blockers alive allowing Fletch and TKO to make a lot of plays.

After that; I have no problems with the other signings: Triplett, Davis, Reed, Royal and Bowens. I take that back.. I wouldn't have signed Royals.. THe others I like.

The Bills cap would have allowed all these signings.. no?

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                      • Aug 2003

dude im busting your balls COSTED is not a word makes the post sound ignorant I neither agree or disagree with your theory, just pointing out that by using COSTED several time it distracted me from the content

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

This is a message board not an english class I don't bother to run a spell and grammar check.. i can assure you when times call for it my spelling is fine.

I don't look for spelling in people's posts.. I look at what they are saying.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          I'm Pat Moran and I have to convince you to join the Bills, hmmm..

Am I Pat Moran the owner? Because if I am., let me take Ralph Wilson's place for a minute... You'd be dealing with Ron Wolffe, my general manager. My football team has sucked the better part of a decade and since I fired Donahoe, I am bringing in a GM who has experience in building a football team through BOTH FA and the draft. Plus when I signed him it gave me INSTANT CREDIBILITY to free agents around the league.

You'll probably also like playing for my head coach.. His name is Mike Sherman. Ya, I know he costed more than Dick Jauron did. But he has a proven track record and he knows how to handle a quarterback and an offense, something none of my head coaches have a clue about for the past several years. Plus I didnt really want Jauron.. Free agents around the league would have known I only hired Jauron because he was cheaper.

I have plenty of money to give you. You see the second Eric Moulds refused to take a paycut I sent him packing to the street; to show the rest of my organization and the fans a message that this is going to be a football team that plays for each other and wins football games. SO I freed up some $5 million in cap space there.

Are you an offensive tackle or guard? I can get you a spot on the left side of the football field.. I just cut Bennie Anderson and saved around $700k, though to be honest I'd have cut him if It costed me $700k

If you want to play defensive tackle you can play right next to ole' Sam Adams. See, I almost made a mistake and cut him but then I came to senses. YOu see, I already have him under contract for another year; the free agent DT crop is very thin and the good one available will be considerably more money than him. Plus, Sam has proved when he had big Pat playing next to him that he can dominate when he has a playing partner not named Anderson, Sape or Bannon. What do ya say?

Most of all.. Your a big time football player. I want to sign you because I want to send a message to my fans. The fans who continue to sell out football games every Sunday even though our team has basically sucked.. I want to show the fans that I am committed to doing everything in my 87-year old power to see my team win a Super Bowl before my time on this earth is passed by.

Dear GM,

Thanks for taking the time to contact me. As you well know with your experience that my agents firm built a prospectus for me. This outlines all 32 teams needs in the NFL, cap room, tax rate for city, county and state. it also informs me of the local community is like, and what is there to do for my family etc.

After looking at this we sat down and looked at teams that needed me (insert position here). We also took into account the things I want for my career as a player. What I am looking for is thus....

As a top rated player in my position I want to go to a team that has the best chance of being a contender quickly. I have played on a team that has tried to compete but just can't get there. I also want to be fairly compensated for my skills.

After looking at the Bills here is the conclusion I have come to....you aren't the right team for me. The reasons are as follows...

1) You are not going to be a contender for quite some time. I appreciate you went out and got Ron Wolf an established GM and a good HC in Mike Sherman. But you are about 2 years away from where Dallas, Tampa, New England, Carolina, Settle, Minnesotta, are at this time. Playoff contenders that can use me to help get over that hump.

2) Compensation. With the numerous holes you have you can't afford me and address all of your other needs to become a contender. I am one of the top ranked (insert position here) in the league. To be fairly compensated would not be cost effective immediately for me to play for you and address my #1 need.

3) Cost of living in Buffalo. As you know we get 16 checks per year. And as you know we get taxed by each state we play in for our 8 away games. The problem here is Western New York is one of the most highly (and I believe is the highest) taxed counties in the US. New York being one of the higher taxed states as well. So you would not only need to match what (insert team here) is paying me, but offset the amount of money I am losing to the excessive taxes. In this case I would most likely be taxed less for away games than home games.

4) Location. I love the fact Buffalo has my kind of people. Hard working blue collar types that love football, But I have a family to think about. Fans seem to forget this is a family decision, as you well know, to move to a new city. After looking at the local school systems, My wife (like Marvin Lewis' wife) had concerns. Also what is there to do other than see Niagra falls for my children?

Sir I would sincerely like to thank you for the offer to come meet with you, but I have to respectfully decline. I understand your desire to sign a guy like me to help show your fanbase that you are trying. Maybe in a couple years when the Franchise is more competitive closer to being a playoff contender and more stable, we can talk again.

Sincerely,

Top Ranked Free Agent

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                            • Aug 2003

need to stop being so sensitive and take a joke lighten up a little

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                              Dear GM,

Thanks for taking the time to contact me. As you well know with your experience that my agents firm built a prospectus for me. This outlines all 32 teams needs in the NFL, cap room, tax rate for city, county and state. it also informs me of the local community is like, and what is there to do for my family etc.

After looking at this we sat down and looked at teams that needed me (insert position here). We also took into account the things I want for my career as a player. What I am looking for is thus....

As a top rated player in my position I want to go to a team that has the best chance of being a contender quickly. I have played on a team that has tried to compete but just can't get there. I also want to be fairly compensated for my skills.

After looking at the Bills here is the conclusion I have come to....you aren't the right team for me. The reasons are as follows...

1) You are not going to be a contender for quite some time. I appreciate you went out and got Ron Wolf an established GM and a good HC in Mike Sherman. But you are about 2 years away from where Dallas, Tampa, New England, Carolina, Settle, Minnesotta, are at this time. Playoff contenders that can use me to help get over that hump.

2) Compensation. With the numerous holes you have you can't afford me and address all of your other needs to become a contender. I am one of the top ranked (insert position here) in the league. To be fairly compensated would not be cost effective immediately for me to play for you and address my #1 need.

3) Cost of living in Buffalo. As you know we get 16 checks per year. And as you know we get taxed by each state we play in for our 8 away games. The problem here is Western New York is one of the most highly (and I believe is the highest) taxed counties in the US. New York being one of the higher taxed states as well. So you would not only need to match what (insert team here) is paying me, but offset the amount of money I am losing to the excessive taxes. In this case I would most likely be taxed less for away games than home games.

4) Location. I love the fact Buffalo has my kind of people. Hard working blue collar types that love football, But I have a family to think about. Fans seem to forget this is a family decision, as you well know, to move to a new city. After looking at the local school systems, My wife (like Marvin Lewis' wife) had concerns. Also what is there to do other than see Niagra falls for my children?

Sir I would sincerely like to thank you for the offer to come meet with you, but I have to respectfully decline. I understand your desire to sign a guy like me to help show your fanbase that you are trying. Maybe in a couple years when the Franchise is more competitive closer to being a playoff contender and more stable, we can talk again.

Sincerely,

Top Ranked Free Agent
                              If Marv Levy can't sell the product, then Wilson hired the wrong salesperson.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                                Peterman Sucks!
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                                If Marv Levy can't sell the product, then Wilson hired the wrong salesperson.
                                And if Ices' answer right there is the one I suspect he was going to give all along he's just as much of a doom and gloomer and the sky is falling person as the rest of us.

His point is basically we're an organization that's in such complete disarray that it's not Levys' fault no one will come here, because in fact, It's Mr. Wilsons' fault. He made the decisions for TD being here, allowed him complete control and that's the direction he took this organization.

We at least want the Bills to sign some of these high profile impact players so that we can view a good product on the field. You're sitting here saying there is no possible way we can even get these guys.

So you're just happy the Bills are happy to sign anyone then?

I'm completely baffled right now.

Your naysaying Ice, is worse than anyone who sits here and complains that we don't go after nor sign any top notch free agents. We at least "think" maybe misguidingly we can land some of these players. Your whole topic just proves that you don't think we can even get one of these players.

Hell, at this point in your opinion, why do we even have a team here in Buffalo anymore? For that matter why even bother supporting this team anymore?

UNREAL!

Comment

Working...
                                X