X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The difference between the Bills and the Steelers

You can point to the owners, you can point to the coaches. To me it's simple: the draft. A micro-view of the last 5 drafts - 1st round, both had 5 first round choices. In 3of the 5 years the Steelers were drafting behind the Bills.
    The Bills had
    Clements - I rate him as near pro-ball level
    Williams - a bust
    McGahee - a starter
    Evans - a starter
    Losman - inadequate so far

The Steelers have
    Casey Hampton - pro baller, top 2 NTs in NFL
    Kandall Simmons - Pro ball guard
    Polomalu - pro ball superstar in the making
    Roethlisberger - superstar in the making
    Heath Miller - a starter, already making waves (6TD, 459 yards, 39 rec in rookie year, and the Bills's top 2005 TD catcher is Evans's 7TD)

What does this tell you? Draft, draft, and draft.

And don't tell me we can get these kind of players from free agency. Let alone how much you have to pay for the services of these players, they may not be available period. And the Steelers enjoy these players coming into their prime and on the cheap, too.

Draft is what makes or breaks a team. That is the truth.

On 1st round alone, since Donahoe left the Steelers, they drafted Plexco Burress plus those guys in the first round and Plexco is a solid starter borderline star as well. Now look at the 6 first round picks before that - when Donahoe was calling shots in Pittsburgh, they had Charles Johnson, Mark Bruener, Jamain Stephens, Chad Scott, Alan Faneca, and Troy Edwards. That's where I see similarities to our Bills draft the last 5 years, one or two hits, dotted with misses and busts. No wonder the Steelers would miss playoffs 3 years in a row by the end of that time. After Donahoe's exit, they got 6 years in a row of hits, and they are superbowl champs!

This is really we Bills fans should be hoping for, not FAs, bad calls, etc.: we want good drafts, we want consecutive good drafts. And Levy should be judged as such.
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: The difference between the Bills and the Steelers

We won't mention that the Steelers are a RUN first team apparently and where have all their running backs come from? Free agency and trade. Willie Parker-FA Duce Staley-FA Jerome Bettis-Trade with the Rams.

Point is, they drafted NONE of these guys and are a team based around the running game. Yet they've built mainly through the draft? RIGHT!

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Great Post ghz
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• feelthepain
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
        You can point to the owners, you can point to the coaches. To me it's simple: the draft. A micro-view of the last 5 drafts - 1st round, both had 5 first round choices. In 3of the 5 years the Steelers were drafting behind the Bills.
        The Bills had
        Clements - I rate him as near pro-ball level
        Williams - a bust
        McGahee - a starter
        Evans - a starter
        Losman - inadequate so far

The Steelers have
        Casey Hampton - pro baller, top 2 NTs in NFL
        Kandall Simmons - Pro ball guard
        Polomalu - pro ball superstar in the making
        Roethlisberger - superstar in the making
        Heath Miller - a starter, already making waves (6TD, 459 yards, 39 rec in rookie year, and the Bills's top 2005 TD catcher is Evans's 7TD)

What does this tell you? Draft, draft, and draft.

And don't tell me we can get these kind of players from free agency. Let alone how much you have to pay for the services of these players, they may not be available period. And the Steelers enjoy these players coming into their prime and on the cheap, too.

Draft is what makes or breaks a team. That is the truth.

On 1st round alone, since Donahoe left the Steelers, they drafted Plexco Burress plus those guys in the first round and Plexco is a solid starter borderline star as well. Now look at the 6 first round picks before that - when Donahoe was calling shots in Pittsburgh, they had Charles Johnson, Mark Bruener, Jamain Stephens, Chad Scott, Alan Faneca, and Troy Edwards. That's where I see similarities to our Bills draft the last 5 years, one or two hits, dotted with misses and busts. No wonder the Steelers would miss playoffs 3 years in a row by the end of that time. After Donahoe's exit, they got 6 years in a row of hits, and they are superbowl champs!

This is really we Bills fans should be hoping for, not FAs, bad calls, etc.: we want good drafts, we want consecutive good drafts. And Levy should be judged as such.

Good drafts don't seem to help the Texans,Browns, or Chargers or several others. It is important to have good drafts, but it's more then drafting. It's FA signing's and coaching and chemistry and luck. The Steelers were very lucky in a couple of playoff games last year and the coaching is excellent plus the FA's they picked up to fill needed area's. It's the whole package.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
          Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
          We won't mention that the Steelers are a RUN first team apparently and where have all their running backs come from? Free agency and trade. Willie Parker-FA Duce Staley-FA Jerome Bettis-Trade with the Rams.

Point is, they drafted NONE of these guys and are a team based around the running game. Yet they've built mainly through the draft? RIGHT!
          Parker, who is their starter, was an undrafted free agent. Therefore, he's been with the Steelers since he entered the NFL. They might as well have drafted him.

God give me style and give me grace
          God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

EVERY good team in the NFL has to do BOTH well.. Sign a few KEY role FA's AND draft well..

NO TEAM is going to be consistently good without doing BOTH.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

I think a lot of it is our coaching. I agree drafting is important, but we have had solid players via draft. We havent had an adequate coach since Phillips.

We are on our 4th coach since Levy, while the Steelers have had the same guy since what 92 or 93?

Consistancy is key imo. The Steelers arent a "revolving door team" they keep the same guys year after year. Couple that with competant management and a young, long-time coach and almost any team will succeed.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                EVERY good team in the NFL has to do BOTH well.. Sign a few KEY role FA's AND draft well..

NO TEAM is going to be consistently good without doing BOTH.
                I agree but they don't have to be marquee free agents to make it work. Find the gold in the ore.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Devin
                  I think a lot of it is our coaching. I agree drafting is important, but we have had solid players via draft. We havent had an adequate coach since Phillips.

We are on our 4th coach since Levy, while the Steelers have had the same guy since what 92 or 93?

Consistancy is key imo. The Steelers arent a "revolving door team" they keep the same guys year after year. Couple that with competant management and a young, long-time coach and almost any team will succeed.
                  One of the better points I've heard in a long time.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HAMMER
                    I agree but they don't have to be marquee free agents to make it work. Find the gold in the ore.
                    Your right.. Here's the thing though.

For ALL MY WHINING, I have NEVER clamored for us to go out and get a bunch of big name players.. NEVER.

I wanted TWO players from DAY ONE of FA, anything else was a bonus to me..

I wanted the tough proven pro bowl tackle Runyan here to man tackle for 3 years while we develop a rookie, and I wanted Stephen Neal to play guard.

I'm not sure either of them are marquee players.. Perhaps.. But those are NEEDED players.

Personally I woulda kept Adams but that's hindsight.. The rest of the players I didnt care about : Bentley, Schaffer, Archuleta (who's ridiculously overated) El, all of them..

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                      • Jul 2005

Your right.. Here's the thing though.

For ALL MY WHINING, I have NEVER clamored for us to go out and get a bunch of big name players.. NEVER.

I wanted TWO players from DAY ONE of FA, anything else was a bonus to me..

I wanted the tough proven pro bowl tackle Runyan here to man tackle for 3 years while we develop a rookie, and I wanted Stephen Neal to play guard.

I'm not sure either of them are marquee players.. Perhaps.. But those are NEEDED players.

Personally I woulda kept Adams but that's hindsight.. The rest of the players I didnt care about : Bentley, Schaffer, Archuleta (who's ridiculously overated) El, all of them..
                      Neal and Runyon are reaonable requests. I agree that we "need" at least one solid free agent on the OL to feel better going into the draft. Not sure if I think Neal is the guy, but options are limited. Who knows what kind of contract Neal is looking for, he might be looking for a whole lot more than he, as a "good" 30-year old player deserves. He kind of feels like the Mark Campbell of guards.

I lived in Philly for a while, watch a lot of Eagles games, and Runyon is a tough SOB. he'd be a fantastic 3-year stopgap IF he was willing to leave the jersey corridor for anything approaching a reasonable contract, which I don't think he will. I think he'd need a real fat paycheck to come here.

which I feel leaves us where we are. its slim pickins this year.
                      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Didn't Runyan say" write a contract and I'll visit" ? Why didn't the Pats keep Neal? I'm sure you'll tell us how wrong BB is in doing so.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Didn't Runyan say" write a contract and I'll visit" ? Why didn't the Pats keep Neal? I'm sure you'll tell us how wrong BB is in doing so.
                          Runyan, you heard this fact from where?

Neal, if you havent figured it out, NE is F'd with the salary cap, kind of ironic for a team that builds so much through the draft, isnt it??

And for the record, they are about to resign Neal anyway.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Runyan, you heard this fact from where?

Neal, if you havent figured it out, NE is F'd with the salary cap, kind of ironic for a team that builds so much through the draft, isnt it??

And for the record, they are about to resign Neal anyway.
                            See the question mark? I was asking a question. I'm not sure if it was Runyan or Bentley who said that.

As for Neal, if it's true that the pats are resigning him, why didn't the fins sign him after his visit? Saban must be as stupid as Marv or the rest of the league as well for not grabbing him.

Right now I'll go with NE39 opinion over yours when it come to Neal.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

I never said I was stephen Neal's personal adviser but it doesnt take Peter King to know that he's a big upgrade over Anderson. NE probably has a lot more OL options than we do , hence why they've been more patient to see what Neal does before now.

Miami might have not signed him in part due to the fact they are desperately trying to get Lavar Arrington to play there after losing out on Peterson and couldnt afford both.

And I dont know how the hell that Runyan rumor started, I sure as hell never said he said anything like that. Until proven otherwise, that's a very stupid rumor.

Comment

Working...
                              X