Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 FA Draft Peanut Gallery

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2006 FA Draft Peanut Gallery

I suspect that as time goes on there will be more premium players available. the one league i was in for a few years always had a 10 and a couple of 9s available. 8s were common and 7s were very common...then again, i was not in that league at it's start.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Offical Billszone Starting QB ryjam282's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mikey, I gotta tell ya I have mixed emotions about losing Spikes. He was the first draft pick in KC's history and was a hell of a player for us last year. The injury was just too much for us. With Colvin, Tatupu, and Merriman at LB he was expendable. The Super Deuces franchise thanks TKO for his great work here in KC and wish him nothing but the best in the future. Shawne Merriman was quoted as saying, "TKO taught me a lot here in my 1 year with him, I will miss the big guy. Now it is time for me to wreak havoc like he used to do in Arrowhead and I won't let him down."

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm wondering if people having this "extra" money to spend on players who aren't really "worth" that much means that the cap is really too high...
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch
    I'm wondering if people having this "extra" money to spend on players who aren't really "worth" that much means that the cap is really too high...
    No, it means some GMs planned differently than others.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch
    there is a little bit of that but at the same time it is only year 2...salaries have not had a chance to escalate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer
    there is a little bit of that but at the same time it is only year 2...salaries have not had a chance to escalate.
    That's what worries me. The future salaries are going to kill some teams, like me. out of curiousity tho...i know you said I can eat some of the latter years of a contract now...if I do that, does it stop me from keeping that player when their contract expires?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think the real reason is everyone went into FA with at least $20 mil to spend, some people have decided to ry to wait and pay players what they think they are really worth, others have figured why not rent them for a year and go from there.

If there is one reason people are overpaying is these are all 1 year audition contracts, if people where locked into signng all FA drafted to long term contracts there nay have been no FA drafted at this point.

Since it is all make belive money its not like you are going to gain interest in the money you save or beable to invest it other ares so my belief is why not spend it, but I spent my money on guys who played all 16 games, spending FA money on guys who will miss significant time this year and then if they do perform in the NFL you have to retain at that price is more risky than gutting your current team to acquire a player of similar capabilities.

The players I have drafted are all under 28 and the 2 in the first rd where ranked as a 9 last year if they both return to form paying them $10 mil each is not a stretch by any means

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Eb how accurate is the last spreadsheet you sent with contracts ?? I noticed one team according to the sheets had their whoole team signed to 1 year contracts

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    Eb how accurate is the last spreadsheet you sent with contracts ?? I noticed one team according to the sheets had their whoole team signed to 1 year contracts
    that is correct...they signed everybody to a 1-year deal.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey82
    That's what worries me. The future salaries are going to kill some teams, like me. out of curiousity tho...i know you said I can eat some of the latter years of a contract now...if I do that, does it stop me from keeping that player when their contract expires?
    you can shave years and take the salcap penalty....but if you do that then why would you sign them again later - you would just be spending that money twice??

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

True, however, since the overall cap is going up, it makes me wonder if the individual cap on players should go up in parallel. Otherwise, the more that the salary cap rises just means that more players are going to hit the $10 Mill/year mark.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

you can shave years and take the salcap penalty....but if you do that then why would you sign them again later - you would just be spending that money twice??
    If you realized that cutting him that early was a mistake...or if they did better in that final year than you thought they were and were ranked very high....

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The draft would go a lot faster if everyone who was passing announced it AHEAD of time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral
    The draft would go a lot faster if everyone who was passing announced it AHEAD of time.
    if you notice there are a lot of people passing in the 5th...as we go down the draft few owners use all of the spots at a particular $$ value...I have seen 4 or 5 rounds go off the board in one day because everybody passed them.

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i wish people would quit PMing me to tell me that it's my turn.i can tell time.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Playas for the most part was correct in his assessment. There are a few things that are leading to this overpaying.

One this spring we were able to cut people with no consequences to our cap. I took full advantage of that.

Second we can sign these FAs to one year contracts with no consequences to our cap in future years. (obviousily there is a consequence for one year).

We all had more money then what should be expected normally in future drafts. However, for some teams they are going to continue to be cash happy since they are signing a bunch of FA for one year contracts. Next year they

For teams like myself trying to rebuild this draft is tough. I don't want to over spend to sign some guys I can keep on my roster 2-4 years.

But when in Rome......

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have $22.6 mil tied up in my starting offensive line...and one of those guys makes $100K.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have $22.6 mil tied up in my starting offensive line...and one of those guys makes $100K.
    Yeah I have $14.5 locked in my offensive line but 1 is a significant backup. I guess if you're going to spend it on 1 area offensive line is the area to do it.
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Offical Billszone Starting QB ryjam282's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have over 17 in mine and the sad thing is that I only have 2 7's, a 2 6's, a 5.5, and 2 5's....No big time guys. DAMN YOU Marvel Smith, went from a 9 to a 7 this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I thought I was bad at $21.4...

Then again, five guys with a total of 46 run blocking has it's advantages.