• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jersey1031
    • Feb 2003

Best and worst of the first round

WORST PICK

Buffalo Bills: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State. Whitner got away with mediocre run support in college because he played behind two first-round Buckeye linebackers, A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter. The Bills can't afford to have stopping the run be part of Whitner's on-the-job training. And if Bills general manager Marv Levy liked Whitner so much, he probably could have traded down with some team that wanted to move up to draft Leinart and still landed Whitner later in the first round.

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.
    "I'm cold, yeah I get my BUFFALO BILL on!" Lil' Wayne
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Best and worst of the first round

We are getting ripped everywhere for this pick. I sure hope Whitner proves them all wrong

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

see- IT's NOT JUST ME.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jersey1031
        • Feb 2003

From a baseball article!!

Outfielder Matt Lawton, stretched out on a couch in the middle of the clubhouse, reacted with a surprised "Oh, my!" when the Buffalo Bills made Ohio State defensive back Donte Whitner their pick with the eighth overall selection.

The official website of the Seattle Mariners with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Not everybody, Prisco seems to like both of our picks.

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Finch1031
            From a baseball article!!

Outfielder Matt Lawton, stretched out on a couch in the middle of the clubhouse, reacted with a surprised "Oh, my!" when the Buffalo Bills made Ohio State defensive back Donte Whitner their pick with the eighth overall selection.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=sea
            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• BillsFever21
              • Aug 2004

We are getting laughed at everywhere.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

Interesting...because here's what msn.foxsports' analyst said about the pick:

8. BUFFALO BILLS
                S DONTE WHITNER, OHIO STATE — Profile

CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: The first shocker came from ancient GM Marv Levy. Ohio State safety Donte Whitner was considered to be selected in the bottom third of the first round. Whitner, though, is very smart and athletic and with quality football instincts. He likes to play close to the line of scrimmage and is a vocal leader. New Buffalo coach Dick Jauron must be fine with J.P. Losman as his quarterback. Could it be that teams are really questioning Leinart's throwing elbow and arm strength? The bottom line is that Leinart wasn't helped much by new big-time agent Tom Condon, who was supposed to move him up the ladder in the draft. Whitner wasn't really a reach for the Bills, who simply decided to go for the defensive back over a defensive lineman
                Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

I bolded the end of his comments because the contradict those of his colleague who wrote the comment posted above.

I guess someone is now going to say that this guy has his lips locked on Marv's butt, too, huh.....

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Jersey1031
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9403323

Coming from a guy who said Brick was the worst pick in the draft???????? Prisco that is... He's on drugs...

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

And he says D'brikashaw was the worst pick of the draft too. This does not make me feel any better

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

He liked almost every pick. They all got A's and B's except for 5 picks in the 1st round. This is the same guy who called Ferguson a bad pick. He's a real good judgement to go by.

And even he says Whitner was picked too high. We could've traded down and still got him. He would've been there after we traded down. Marv screwed this up and panicked. None of them other teams were going safety till the 16th spot.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                        He liked almost every pick. They all got A's and B's except for 5 picks in the 1st round. This is the same guy who called Ferguson a bad pick. He's a real good judgement to go by.

And even he says Whitner was picked too high. We could've traded down and still got him. He would've been there after we traded down. Marv screwed this up and panicked. None of them other teams were going safety till the 16th spot.
                        No, I agree with you...we should've traded down and got more picks because he would have still been there. Crap, trade down and get a 3rd or 4th, who cares...at least it would have made me feel better.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                          Interesting...because here's what msn.foxsports' analyst said about the pick:

8. BUFFALO BILLS
                          S DONTE WHITNER, OHIO STATE — Profile

CZAR'S FRONT OFFICE TAKE: The first shocker came from ancient GM Marv Levy. Ohio State safety Donte Whitner was considered to be selected in the bottom third of the first round. Whitner, though, is very smart and athletic and with quality football instincts. He likes to play close to the line of scrimmage and is a vocal leader. New Buffalo coach Dick Jauron must be fine with J.P. Losman as his quarterback. Could it be that teams are really questioning Leinart's throwing elbow and arm strength? The bottom line is that Leinart wasn't helped much by new big-time agent Tom Condon, who was supposed to move him up the ladder in the draft. Whitner wasn't really a reach for the Bills, who simply decided to go for the defensive back over a defensive lineman

I bolded the end of his comments because the contradict those of his colleague who wrote the comment posted above.

I guess someone is now going to say that this guy has his lips locked on Marv's butt, too, huh.....

He said he wasn't gonna go till the bottom 3rd of the round but then he says he wasn't a reach for the Bills? That's a nice contradiction there.

Maybe for Levy he wasn't a reach because Levy is senile and clueless as to what's going on.

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                            • Mar 2004

WHo knows how any of these picks will be until they actually play the games? You'd think it was week 10 or something, give it time to see how he pans out.

Comment

• Billzz
                              • Sep 2003

He was grading the TEAMS pick not the player. The situation is what he was looking at (Brick is blocking for a shredded shoulder noodle arm and a statue career back up in Ramsey). Again like most said this is a crap shoot and no one knows what exactly will happen until a few years from now.

Comment

Working...
                              X