• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: Mario Williams is "Fools Gold"

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Are you? How's Anderson looked when you know he was actually on the field to play?

We overpaid for Mario but at least he produced something, we gave Anderson some money to do nothing.
    anderson should never have been asked to be a three down end.

We started using him like that and then he got injured.

wiff.

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      The guy is overpaid and isn't a leader type at all.
      agreed.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
        Coastal doesnt know ****. Talks out his ass pure and simple
        http://www.adultthumbsuckerssupportgroup.com

Comment

• cookie G
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
          I'm going to make an exception to my new rule about not buying any merchandise. I'm sending Coastal a Mario Williams Jersey and a can of red paint. He draw a circle with a line through it over the 94.
          Maybe you can get my oldest's. He hasn't worn it since the 1st NE game.

He just kinda looked at me in the 2nd half and said, "he's not really a high effort guy, is he?"

I think the interesting thing in all this is we are middle of the road in team sacks when last year we were at the bottom. The Vaunted San Francisco defense has one more sack. We get a decent D coordinator and a top LB in the draft and we could improve even more next year.
          -424 points against and counting
          -5.1 ypc against (2200 yards rushing given up and counting)
          -0 sacks against a quality OT.

He brought nothing to the defense. But then, every defense he's ever been on has sucked.

I wonder why none of his supporters bumped this thread in the last 2 games? Ah, maybe cause he was invisible, except for the replays of Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill running by him on the way to the sidelines.

Well, we're stuck with him for a few more years. He might be willing to accept the the legacy of a highly overpaid underachiever, or...he can set out to improve himself and become an actual beast, as opposed to the paper tiger that he is.

He can spend it working on some hand tech, some actual pass rushing moves, instead of relying on one.

Maybe he can watch some tape of JJ Watt, whose hand moves are light years ahead of Mario's.

Most of all, he needs a Talley, like Bruce needed a Talley. Bruce would have probably been a Mario except for Talley0 mentoring him. He very well could have ended up as the 8-10 sack a year guy, who did little else. In Bruce's case, it was physical conditioning, and probably a few other things.

Or he can count his millions and talk about his victories over the Barry Richardson's of the world.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Right, wrong, or indifferent, this has been an epic thread.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
              • Jan 2010

Comment

• Raptor
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                Building a team isn't as simple as plugging in players with better Madden scores.

Players are people and when building an organization, the leadership must be mindful about who they choose and how they put the pieces together.

but run your weak ass Mincey smack and keep rooting for the studness that is Mario "Fools Gold" Williams!
                Oh Im going to keep bringing it up to show how just inept you are on the game of football. Just remeber you though Jeremy "has no business being on a football field let alone the answer to any teams pass rushing needs" was better than Mario Williams. lmao I mean Mincy SUCKS

Free advice, just keep reading my post Ill get you educated on this game kid

Comment

• Raptor
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  The guy is overpaid and isn't a leader type at all but he's hardly a bust.

Then again, they're all overpaid cattle to me.
                  Nobody said he was supposed to be before or after he signed

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                    Nobody said he was supposed to be before or after he signed
                    Exactly.

and speaks directly to my point that adding players to a team isn't as simple as plugging in players with better Madden numbers.

what kind of manager brings in an employee, makes him the highest paid member of the team, and then doesn't expect that person to lead?

i know... a manager who doesn't understand people and how to get them to work together... Or do we have to have Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay calling people out to the media again for the point to sink in.
                    Last edited by coastal; 12-26-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                      • Aug 2012

coastal, didnt we have a bet - mario williams vs mark anderson for total sacks?

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                        coastal, didnt we have a bet - mario williams vs mark anderson for total sacks?
                        A hundo... Ill pay up!

Comment

• kishoph
                          • Jun 2003

There's no doubt he's not a leader or "high motor" type player, but this team has many more problems than someone with double a digit sack total. I'm glad they got him and his contract doesn't really start to get hurtful till 2014. If it came down to it, I would want the Bills to do just what they did, they needed help at the position and they went and got the best that was available at any cost.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                            There's no doubt he's not a leader or "high motor" type player, but this team has many more problems than someone with double a digit sack total. I'm glad they got him and his contract doesn't really start to get hurtful till 2014. If it came down to it, I would want the Bills to do just what they did, they needed help at the position and they went and got the best that was available at any cost.
                            Thats my point. Im happy they went out and spent the money to fix an area of need. Did they overpay?? Sure they did. Want to know why? Because they are the **** of the league as a franchise and noone wants to come here unless you show them the money. I see far bigger problems on that defense or even on the team than Mario and that includes the **** they have for coaches not only on defense but on the team.

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                              Maybe you can get my oldest's. He hasn't worn it since the 1st NE game.

He just kinda looked at me in the 2nd half and said, "he's not really a high effort guy, is he?"

-424 points against and counting
                              -5.1 ypc against (2200 yards rushing given up and counting)
                              -0 sacks against a quality OT.

He brought nothing to the defense. But then, every defense he's ever been on has sucked.

I wonder why none of his supporters bumped this thread in the last 2 games? Ah, maybe cause he was invisible, except for the replays of Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill running by him on the way to the sidelines.

Well, we're stuck with him for a few more years. He might be willing to accept the the legacy of a highly overpaid underachiever, or...he can set out to improve himself and become an actual beast, as opposed to the paper tiger that he is.

He can spend it working on some hand tech, some actual pass rushing moves, instead of relying on one.

Maybe he can watch some tape of JJ Watt, whose hand moves are light years ahead of Mario's.

Most of all, he needs a Talley, like Bruce needed a Talley. Bruce would have probably been a Mario except for Talley0 mentoring him. He very well could have ended up as the 8-10 sack a year guy, who did little else. In Bruce's case, it was physical conditioning, and probably a few other things.

Or he can count his millions and talk about his victories over the Barry Richardson's of the world.
                              Great point on Talley and totally true. He was his roomy and pushed Bruce to be the best he could be.

One of the criticisms last year was lack of pass rush. We went out and signed the best pass rusher available. We improved in that area, but did anyone think he was the next Bruce Smith? I just pointed out that stat because the OP has been pimping San Francisco for the past two years and the lowly Bills have only one less sack. Have I been disappointed with the defense, sure. However they did go through a 5 game stretch where the most points allowed was 15. Crappy teams? OK.

Bottom line is you can't win in this league playing defense with a strong running game and a game manager. Of the top 15 defenses, it looks like only 6 will make the playoffs. 5 of the bottom 12 will. So, would it have been more prudent to have gone after Peyton Manning or a top FA QB (How about Matt Flynn). I can't think of any others that were on the market. Should they have drafted one? Undoubtably, but then again QB's taken in the first three rounds bust as much as they succeed. I'm sure the Bills' would have taken Cousins had Washington not pulled the trigger.

So, you can bash Mario all you want, the problem is not a defense that will continue to improve, it's a rinky dink offense that's easy to figure out and defend.
                              Last edited by pmoon6; 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• coastal
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Mar 2005

Great point on Talley and totally true. He was his roomy and pushed Bruce to be the best he could be.

One of the criticisms last year was lack of pass rush. We went out and signed the best pass rusher available. We improved in that area, but did anyone think he was the next Bruce Smith? I just pointed out that stat because the OP has been pimping San Francisco for the past two years and the lowly Bills have only one less sack. Have I been disappointed with the defense, sure. However they did go through a 5 game stretch where the most points allowed was 15. Crappy teams? OK.

Bottom line is you can't win in this league playing defense with a strong running game and a game manager. Of the top 15 defenses, it looks like only 6 will make the playoffs. 5 of the bottom 12 will. So, would it have been more prudent to have gone after Peyton Manning or a top FA QB (How about Matt Flynn). I can't think of any others that were on the market. Should they have drafted one? Undoubtably, but then again QB's taken in the first three rounds bust as much as they succeed. I'm sure the Bills' would have taken Cousins had Washington not pulled the trigger.

So, you can bash Mario all you want, the problem is not a defense that will continue to improve, it's a rinky dink offense that's easy to figure out and defend.
                                Continue to improve? You're making the assertion that the process has already begun?

Our defense sucks... plain and simple.

My take is "plug and play" solutions to deficit areas of the team without regard for the team IS the problem.

Mario is the crowning manifestation of that dynamic, and until that changes... the playoff drought will continue.

The next evolution of this will be our selection of a QB in the upcoming draft. Everyone is going to go ape and get in line at the alter of "saviors without a chance".

it won't be because the QB we actually select will be the problem... it's just that I have zero faith that whoever we do pick will be evaluated in the context of the greater whole.

but hey... Bills fans love unfulfilled promise as much as they do parking lots.

Comment

Working...
                                X