X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Alex Smith

Alex Smith is NOT a solution at QB, at best he is a stop gap which can most likely cost you the chance of drafting a top talent in the near future. Just look at the guy's track record. He has had 1 good season leading the 49ers to the Championship game only later to be barely resigned by the 49ers. This year he lost his job via injury to a second year second round QB who has given the offense quite the spark.

All of this is quite amazing. How often does a starting QB on a potentially SB winning team lose his job? When was the last time that that happened? Its a testament that he is not good enough even when all the other pieces are in place.
    Please Make Sense
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Re: Alex Smith

Your right. Alex Smith wouldn't be a solution, just add to the growing dance of 5-11, 6-10 seasons that we seem to be entrenched in now.

Comment

• kishoph
      • Jun 2003

I don't want anyone's back-up or castoff.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

They can't pawn off Smith on this fanbase. Not as a permanent solution anyways.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• gebobs
          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
          • Sep 2003

Why the heck not? Smith is way better than Fitz. With Smith, this team wins 3 more games EASY.
          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• The King
            • Jun 2004

Smith is smarter with the football for certain. But we're drafting a QB.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Alex Smith is NOT a solution at QB, at best he is a stop gap which can most likely cost you the chance of drafting a top talent in the near future. Just look at the guy's track record. He has had 1 good season leading the 49ers to the Championship game only later to be barely resigned by the 49ers. This year he lost his job via injury to a second year second round QB who has given the offense quite the spark.

All of this is quite amazing. How often does a starting QB on a potentially SB winning team lose his job? When was the last time that that happened? Its a testament that he is not good enough even when all the other pieces are in place.
              I don't disagree with this.

But I think there is a good chance that we end up with Smith or another year of Fitz.

Why? Who else are we going to get? There is no Andrew Luck or RGIII in this draft. Even if we get one of the top prospects this year, they likely won't be able to start right away. And we will still need a vet backup- even this team isn't dumb enough to go into the season with a rookie starter and Thigpen as a backup (plus, the next coach won't have Gailey's inexplicable love affair with Thigpen).

As far as vets, all the other options are worse than Smith. Flacco may be available but it'll be Fitz all over again. We'll have to pay way more than he's worth to get him. Vick is worse than Fitz or Alex Smith at this point. Sanchez is worse than Fitz (as we saw yesterday). Cutler or Rivers would require a trade at a hefty price, and that's assuming their teams are willing to trade them.

The options at QB just suck right now.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

I think Smith can be brought into compete. But I dont think he;s the end all answer.
                It was all

Comment

• Mike
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                  Why the heck not? Smith is way better than Fitz. With Smith, this team wins 3 more games EASY.
                  See there two types of fans, the first wants to see his team win a SB and does not care much if the team is 1-15 or 9-7 if it lacks the talent to do grow. The second type of fan would prefer that his team has a middle of the road QB named Smith instead of a bellow average QB named Fits simply so his team can be 8-8 instead of 6-10.
                  Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    I don't disagree with this.

But I think there is a good chance that we end up with Smith or another year of Fitz.

Why? Who else are we going to get? There is no Andrew Luck or RGIII in this draft. Even if we get one of the top prospects this year, they likely won't be able to start right away. And we will still need a vet backup- even this team isn't dumb enough to go into the season with a rookie starter and Thigpen as a backup (plus, the next coach won't have Gailey's inexplicable love affair with Thigpen).

As far as vets, all the other options are worse than Smith. Flacco may be available but it'll be Fitz all over again. We'll have to pay way more than he's worth to get him. Vick is worse than Fitz or Alex Smith at this point. Sanchez is worse than Fitz (as we saw yesterday). Cutler or Rivers would require a trade at a hefty price, and that's assuming their teams are willing to trade them.

The options at QB just suck right now.
                    Sometimes when there is no solution its a good thing. Looking back, as its the best way to illustrate my point, would you have preferred that the Bills drafted Clausen (they were considering at the time) simply because they needed a QB and he fell to the second round?

Let them play the man they traded for in the offseason, or even another year of Fitz. I know it will be very hard to sell tickets, but in the end I hope they draft the next great prospect. Johnny Football comes to mind, and he will be available in 2 years.

Football really should be thought of as a strategic game mostly played in the offseason which encompasses a five year plan or a secession of them. In this way, you can plan for the long term competitiveness of the team with the focus on wining an SB. That being said, when a once in a generation players is on the horizon like Luck or RG3 you do everything in your power to get them because if you dont two things will happen: 1) Your chances of winning a SB go alomost to zero for next 15 years as each generation has 3-6 Elite HOF QBs who win SB after SB. In fact 28/30 QBs who have won a SB were HOF or Future HOF QBs and the other 2 teams that won had All Time Great Defenses. In that time span, not one Pro Bowl QB or above average QB has won a SB outside of those two great defenses. 2) If you dont draft them they will be beating you for the next 15 years!

As a fan I want a SB. I dont care in the end if the team is 1-15 or 11-5 if the Talent sucks and has no opportunity to Win a SB. As a Fan that is all I care about, a potential Champion/Dynasty and the ONLY way in happens in our day of age is having a HOF QB. Considering that each generation may have 4-6 such QBs over a 10 year period, I hope that OWNERSHIP is insightful and visionary enough to do all it can to land such talent.
                    Please Make Sense

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

No more mediocrity. Draft an athletic young guy and move forward.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• kishoph
                        • Jun 2003

Whoever they have on top of their board, they should do whatever it takes to get him, not that in 2 years we hear, "well we liked him, but he was picked before our selection."

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                          • Mar 2007

I hate hearing I don't want other teams cast offs. People are saying it for coaches and Qbs. Smith is a stop gap at best but especially with a coach most if not all great coaches failed along the lines and were someone's castoffs.

The chance we pull a guy off the street with no experience and they are good is almost non existent. The best thing is put pieces together that fit together. Get a qb that fits the next coach get a
                          Coach that fits our current group of players a bit. We have a solid core in some areas.

If these are castoffs at either qb or coach I don't care as long as it leads to wins.

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

I'd rather not swap Fitz for WC Fitz.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

I have to agree hes not the answer but in a draft as weak in QB as this one, the Bills are going to have to explore all options. That coud mean a Seattle style "let the cream rise to the top" offseason bringing in seasoned vet QBs and grabbering 1 or 2 QBs later in the draft.

At 8 overall if Barkley and Manti are both on the board you really can't fault the Bills for going with Teo. And that is just one example. Both Geno and Barkley could very well be gone by 8 overall. What then? Do you reach for a mid to late 1st round QB or take best player available? Do they push to trade up to get a better angle on the QB of their choice?

With that being said guys like Alex Smith can't be ignored. And of course all of this will hinge on the next coach and his offensive philosophy.

Comment

Working...
                              X