• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: A QUESTION FOR THE PESSIMISTS

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
    If you read my post above I think you would see I understand where your coming from. But what you dont seem to understand is EJ is THE QB right now. He WAS A ROOKIE Last year. A player future is not decided in 1 season ESPEC 1st Rd QBs
    I understand it fine. What you haven't done is understand what you're looking at when you watch him play. But the Bills coaches understand. Obviously they aren't going to give up on last year's #1 draft pick, but they should recognize his limitations. And I'm sure they have. They need to draft another QB whether you like Manuel or not.

And I am NOT an ArmChair QB. I dont go around saying who should be playing the game of football like you experts.
    You'd have to tell me what you're referring to.

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
      OK, so why do all of you pessimists think the Bills are going to have a losing record next year?

A) Because you have no faith in Whaley & think he will blow his first draft?

B) Because you have no faith in Marrone & his staff?

C) Because you have no faith in EJ to stay healthy & develop?

D) Because you think the entire Offense SUCKS?

E) Because you think the entire Defense SUCKS?

F) Because after 14 years of losing, you are AFRAID to think the Bills may finally be on the upswing?
      I would say a combo of A, B, C and F.

Realistically, the team is coming off a 6-10 season and needs a lot of things to come together to succeed: (i) young players, EJ in paraticular, need to improve, (ii) new defensive scheme needs to be implemented, (iii) injuries need to be minimalized and (iv) they need a little luck.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
        I understand it fine. What you haven't done is understand what you're looking at when you watch him play. But the Bills coaches understand. Obviously they aren't going to give up on last year's #1 draft pick, but they should recognize his limitations. And I'm sure they have. They need to draft another QB whether you like Manuel or not.

You'd have to tell me what you're referring to.
        I saw the limitations but also understand he was a ROOKIE. Rookies do get better. He had a Full offseason to work to get better. Now lets see if it translates on the field. We all have to HOPE it does. Because if he turns it around and shows why he was picked in the 1st then we will be some happy Bills fans this year.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by SquishDaFish View Post
          I saw the limitations but also understand he was a ROOKIE. Rookies do get better. He had a Full offseason to work to get better. Now lets see if it translates on the field. We all have to HOPE it does. Because if he turns it around and shows why he was picked in the 1st then we will be some happy Bills fans this year.

The Bills are also the same team that chose Mike Williams, Walt Patulski, Losman, McCargo, Perry Tuttle, Erik Flowers, etc, etc... in the first round.

You're willing to wait another year. I get it. I'm not.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

I get what your saying but that is past regime. So far this group is doing well. Im willing to give it one more season.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
              • Aug 2013

Can't I just be a Bills fan and not be labeled either way? Sometimes I see red sometimes I see green. Sometimes they piss me off, sometimes I just enjoy being a part of the Bills fan community.

Some of you guys just love labels. Get your own identity for Christ's sake.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                • Jul 2005

People willing to say ej is a bust and cannot get better really have no clue. Plenty of qbs have got better and plenty have not. To blindly say ej will not get better after 9.5 games is just ignorant.

That being said if no progress is made for ej then we need to draft a guy in round 1.

I don't expect top 10 qb stats but if ej is a franchise qb he will be more consistent way less peaks and valleys and better accuracy on his short throws.

As for he not having a long ball. He demonstrated that a bunch after the steeler game

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                  EJ holds the entire offense back. He can't hit a WR more than 3 yards downfield, he's no vertical threat, teams load up the box so the running game isn't as good as it should be. But maybe after another year of more of the same, the organization will realize their mistake and try again.
                  I'm telling you, his game is Trent Edwards Jr. (Except that I like EJ, personally).

Comment

• WagonCircler
                    Escaped Convict
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                    People willing to say ej is a bust and cannot get better really have no clue. Plenty of qbs have got better and plenty have not. To blindly say ej will not get better after 9.5 games is just ignorant.

That being said if no progress is made for ej then we need to draft a guy in round 1.

I don't expect top 10 qb stats but if ej is a franchise qb he will be more consistent way less peaks and valleys and better accuracy on his short throws.

As for he not having a long ball. He demonstrated that a bunch after the steeler game
                    His long ball is wildly inconsistent. And your comments about other QBs getting better means absolutely nothing. 100x more QBs DIDN'T get better.

EJs mechanical problems should/would have been fixed long ago. These are not typical rookie problems that he's having. Those problems are typically holding the ball too long, making bad reads, panicking on throws, slowing the game down.

EJs problems are the kind that get fixed early on in college, in not high school. And he still carries the ball like a loaf of bread. He has poor muscle memory.

He plays in a simple Offense that's designed so he doesn't have to think much. If he's always having to think about his mechanics, he's always going to have to play in a simple, predictable Offense. That's game over.

Comment

• The Popcorn
                      Cincinatti > Buffalo
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      The Bills are also the same team that chose Mike Williams, Walt Patulski, Losman, McCargo, Perry Tuttle, Erik Flowers, etc, etc... in the first round.

You're willing to wait another year. I get it. I'm not.
                      Same team but different decision maker.

Then you're back to square 1 every year if a QB doesn't pan out in his rookie year.
                      The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Drafting EJ was out of Left Field, I still don't understand it or why we did it ?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

With a real QB this would have been a borderline playoff team last year.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                            With a real QB this would have been a borderline playoff team last year.
                            It's the position we've missing out for many years now, hiding it is just silly.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              OK, so why do all of you pessimists think the Bills are going to have a losing record next year?

A) Because you have no faith in Whaley & think he will blow his first draft?

B) Because you have no faith in Marrone & his staff?

C) Because you have no faith in EJ to stay healthy & develop?

D) Because you think the entire Offense SUCKS?

E) Because you think the entire Defense SUCKS?

F) Because after 14 years of losing, you are AFRAID to think the Bills may finally be on the upswing?
                              F) it's not fear. It's more of a "fool me once" kind of thing. This is at least the 4th time in that 14 year span that you homers have been trying to convince us (and yourselves) that the team is on the upswing. It has yet to happen. At this point, it's simply foolish to feel any better than "cautiously optimistic" about this team because they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the rest of it, you're making it more complicated than it is. On O we added Mike Williams. On D we added Spikes but lost Byrd, and we have yet ANOTHER new D for the players to learn- 3rd system in 3 years.

Do you REALLY think Mike Williams, Spikes and whatever rookies we get is enough to go from 6-10 to playoffs, especially while losing Byrd and learning a new D? Please.

This team will go nowhere until we can win in the div. We need to close the talent gap between us and the Patriots. They lost Spikes but gained Revis- net gain. We lost Byrd and gained Spikes- net loss. I don't think it's a huge gain or loss either way but we certainly didn't close the gap on D. Their O is the same and we only added Mike Williams. Net gain for us but again, not even close to enough to close the talent gap.

It's that simple.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                                F) it's not fear. It's more of a "fool me once" kind of thing. This is at least the 4th time in that 14 year span that you homers have been trying to convince us (and yourselves) that the team is on the upswing. It has yet to happen. At this point, it's simply foolish to feel any better than "cautiously optimistic" about this team because they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.

As far as the rest of it, you're making it more complicated than it is. On O we added Mike Williams. On D we added Spikes but lost Byrd, and we have yet ANOTHER new D for the players to learn- 3rd system in 3 years.

Do you REALLY think Mike Williams, Spikes and whatever rookies we get is enough to go from 6-10 to playoffs, especially while losing Byrd and learning a new D? Please.

This team will go nowhere until we can win in the div. We need to close the talent gap between us and the Patriots. They lost Spikes but gained Revis- net gain. We lost Byrd and gained Spikes- net loss. I don't think it's a huge gain or loss either way but we certainly didn't close the gap on D. Their O is the same and we only added Mike Williams. Net gain for us but again, not even close to enough to close the talent gap.

It's that simple.
                                Football is football. It is not like learning Spanish for a year then switching to French, then to Chinese.

I don't think the defensive players will have any problem picking up the system Schwartz runs.

On O we added Mike Williams & a possible starting Guard.

On Defense yes we lost Byrd, but how much of a loss is that really? Byrd did not even play the first 6 games last year.

The signing of Spikes more than makes up for the loss of Byrd. Spikes will make a much bigger impact this year than Byrd made from game 7 on last year.

The Pats* gained Revis, but lost both Spikes & Talib, that is a net loss.

And we have not had the draft yet which should benefit all teams, but it will benefit some teams more than others.

Aside from EJ, the Bills added Kiko, Woods & Goodwin who made an impact last year. If they add three guys who make as big an impact this year, the Bills will be improved.

But I think we all agree this season rests on the shoulders of EJ Manuel. If he plays well or even decent, the Bills make the playoffs, if not the QB search begins again next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X