Was Sammy's TD really a TD or was it a fumble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Was Sammy's TD really a TD or was it a fumble?

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
    At any rate, I think it's fair to say the rush to PAT was a bit odd considering. I just watched the first three quarters again. I tried to watch that play and the ensuing replays from a Dolphins fan perspective. They showed a replay with a great view but his hand is moving too fast to see anything clearly. But if I was a Dollies fan, I'd be screaming fumble. And then they cut away and the Bills are lining up to kick. It was surprising.

That CBS officiating analyst is pretty lame.
    They could not kick the PAT until the play was reviewed, it was a quick review.

I have TIVO which has a great slow motion feature. I slowed the play down that was shown on game rewind & you could see #21 Brent Grimes get his hand in there to jar the ball loose.

Watkins got control of the ball again before it hit the pylon.

The best real time view I saw along with sounds of the game was on Inside the NFL on Showtime & NFL Network.

That had a great view of Watkins hand with the ball in it as it hit the pylon.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post

I have TIVO which has a great slow motion feature. I slowed the play down that was shown on game rewind & you could see #21 Brent Grimes get his hand in there to jar the ball loose.

Watkins got control of the ball again before it hit the pylon.

The best real time view I saw along with sounds of the game was on Inside the NFL on Showtime & NFL Network.

That had a great view of Watkins hand with the ball in it as it hit the pylon.
      This. And surprisingly, not a lot of Miami fans had a problem with the call. I'm figuring that's because a) they know it was the right one +/- b) it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome either way.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by dog14787 View Post
        The rule itself should be changed IMO.

If the Offense on the field is the last team to have possession of the football can anyone give me any logical reason why the football is given to the opposing team.

It makes no sense...
        The touchback rule? The point of the game is to maintain possession of the ball into the endzone, if it gets fumbled forwards across the goal line and out of play, why should the offense be rewarded with retaining possession?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
          The touchback rule? The point of the game is to maintain possession of the ball into the endzone, if it gets fumbled forwards across the goal line and out of play, why should the offense be rewarded with retaining possession?
          Yeah, not sure it should be changed. I mean, where would you spot the ball?

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

You would spot it at the 20, and the rule is actually likely to be changed. It might be the dumbest one in sports.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by yordad View Post
              You would spot it at the 20, and the rule is actually likely to be changed. It might be the dumbest one in sports.
              So the team that fumbled the ball gets it back, but at the opponent's 20? Or their own? And has there been any talk about changing it?

Comment

• Swiper
                • Sep 2010

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                  So the team that fumbled the ball gets it back, but at the opponent's 20? Or their own? And has there been any talk about changing it?
                  The opponents 20. And yes, there have been talks of changing it.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Here is an example of someone talking about it....

The talk I have heard on a high school level.

Comment

• gebobs
                      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      That's the point. It was too quick. I'm not saying they made the wrong call, but it just seemed incongruous. Here you had a critical touchdown and a controversial result. And the PAT was kicked faster than if it was a Jerome Bettis slam through the line 5 deep into the end zone from a half yard out.
                      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• gebobs
                        • Sep 2003

No. The opposing team gets the ball.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

How much trifling, unnecessary micro-analysis is needed for this thread?

Watkins got in for the TD. End of story.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• gebobs
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                            How much trifling, unnecessary micro-analysis is needed for this thread?

Watkins got in for the TD. End of story.
                            Well, with all due respect, if that was all we were discussing, I would agree. If you don't care to discuss the hypothetical if it went the other way or to give your opinion on whether he actually had the ball, then unsubscribe from the thread.

And if you don't like trifling micro-analysis, good grief, how can you stand it in any of these forums? It's the rule.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

I looked at the play again and it wasn't the pylon that knocked the ball loose: it was Luis Delmas' knee. But again, that was (just barely) after the ball crossed the goalline. A frame-by-frame analysis like the NFL would have would be able to determine this.

BTW, I looked at a couple Dols message boards and outside of a smattering of fans thinking it was a fumble, the majority didn't see it that way and/or didn't think it would have mattered in the outcome.

Comment

• gebobs
                                • Sep 2003

BTW, I looked at a couple Dols message boards and outside of a smattering of fans thinking it was a fumble, the majority didn't see it that way and/or didn't think it would have mattered in the outcome.
                                Sure ya did. Sure, I totally believe you did that. Makes perfect sense!

Comment

Working...
                                X