Do You Really Want A New Stadium With A Dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Do You Really Want A New Stadium With A Dome?

Forget about the football side for a moment, a dome or retractable roof stadium makes the venue usable year round and generates revenue. That's a huge plus for the local economy.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ed
      Dude
      • Sep 2002

I don't particularly like the idea of a dome, but it makes too much sense. The arguments to build another open-air stadium are just too weak.

I would also imagine that playing in a dome would help make the Bills more appealing to free agents.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Once you have a retractable dome, who decides when to open it? Do the Bills get to decide or does the league? Just thinking if you had a game you really needed against the fins if you could leave it open just to mess with them

Comment

• WagonCircler
          Escaped Convict
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
          But pretty sure he drills for gas where he knows there's gas

This post is like one of Letterman's pencils that have erasers on both ends. (No point).

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
            This post is like one of Letterman's pencils that have erasers on both ends. (No point).
            then you should love it, most of yours don't. The point is Peg didn't get rich by being stupid. If you have some inside info on what his plans are please share. If not you're speculating like the rest of us, just in a more arrogant way.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

I think any realistic chance of an open-air stadium ended with that mega blizzard that cost us a home game.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

then you should love it, most of yours don't. The point is Peg didn't get rich by being stupid. If you have some inside info on what his plans are please share. If not you're speculating like the rest of us, just in a more arrogant way.
                A logical assumption would be Pegula puts the football stadium in proximity to the Hockey arena & everything he built around it.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                  • Sep 2010

I'm all for the idea of building a nice retractable like Lucas Oil right next to The Ralph, and sending The Ralph out in a blaze of glory.
                  Originally posted by OpIv37
                  You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• Famous Amos
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                    I no longer want a new stadium, but if a new stadium is built the last thing the Bills need is a dome on top of it.

After going to the game last week against the Packers, I've had a change of heart.

The atmosphere was electric prior to, during, and after the Bills won.

Even the cheeseheads were impressed.

"This is what football is all about," a cheesehead said to me as we all stood around a fire drinking beer and eating homemade stew.

Packers fans felt right at home in OP.

The same kind of game day experience can not be replicated in downtown Buffalo.

There's something about being outside in the middle of country/rural land in Orchard Park. It's open, not closed in. It's a big space to work with and has served the WNY community very well over many years. It works well, very well!

The local police in Orchard Park and Sheriffs Dept. have been working Bills games for a long time and do a damn good job of making sure everyone has a good time and gets home safe. They know how to turn a blind eye in the right situations for the sake of keeping the peace and standing for freedom in America. Orchard Park is not a Nanny State.

Walking down the street on Southwestern Blvd. with beers in our hands, the police stood on the corner watching us go by freely, and I said to myself, "Thank God, America's still alive."

What would the police do in Buffalo?

Makes the average fan that goes to 1 or 2 games a year wonder, "Do I want to go to a game in downtown Buffalo? Will my car get stolen? Will I get ticketed for drinking my Molson Golden?"

Back to the Golden Dome.

If the Bills played the Packers last Sunday under the cozy comfort of a dome, I honestly don't think the Bills win that game.

It wasn't the weather, it was the atmosphere. Domes are a buzz killer. They're loud, but CenturyLink Field is louder without one.

Football was and still is meant to be played outside.

Retractable roofs are a cop-out. It's cold and rainy. Close the roof. Really?

Who are we? The Miami Dolphins?

What do the Packers, Giants, Patriots, Steelers, *Cowboys, Ravens, and Broncos all have in common besides multiple Super Bowl wins?

They all play in outdoor stadiums. Asterisk next to the Cowboys, Jerryland is a wannabe dome. Good.

Domes spell doom to me. Maybe that's why the Vikings chose to build a new outdoor stadium?

Atlanta plays in a dome. Not good.

Detroit plays in a dome. Not good.

Peyton Manning played in a dome stadium most of his career, and has 1 less Super Bowl than his brother even though he's the best quarterback ever.

Teams that have played under a dome haven't had any success in the NFL until the Saints and Colts won the Super Bowl, and that was almost 10 years ago.

I really wonder what the fans of the Buffalo Bills think about building a new stadium now that we've had a full 8 game home season at RWS.

If the people of Erie County could vote between keeping the Ralph or building a new stadium downtown, I think most people would keep the Ralph.
                    Youre car isnt going to get stolen boss.
                    "Hate is a lack of imagination."
                    -Graham Greene

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Once you have a retractable dome, who decides when to open it? Do the Bills get to decide or does the league? Just thinking if you had a game you really needed against the fins if you could leave it open just to mess with them
                      Which doesn't make any sense since all our players are from the south and hate the cold too..

This would also take away the bigger crowd noise advantage.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                        AMEN!!

Coming from someone (ME) who has not missed a home game in 14 straight seasons sitting out in the cold freaking BLOWS!!!!!! SICK OF IT.

I went to the Detroit game and I can tell you the home field advantage we get from the noise of a dome is a HELL of a lot more than cold weather.

Do the people who talk as if the cold is an advantage to the Bills ever sit back and realize that 90% of our own players come from the south and are not used to the cold weather? THINK PEOPLE.
                        Coincidence? I think not...the 'smoking gun' has been discovered...
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                          • Jan 2010

there is no way Pegula and/or the state/county will build a stadium to only be used 10 times a year. It will be a multi use facility that can be used for large conventions and other events and likely tie together all the new stuff going on canal side and harbor center.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

I can't see how a new stadium is in the cards for WNY, unless it's a privately-funded venture.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                              Retractable. It's the best we can hope for.

The question is no longer 'Will there be a new stadium', it's when and, to a much lesser degree, where. This is a done deal.

I'm totally with the OP on what football is and should be. But I'd rather have some of that than another cookie cutter Ford Field. That would be a nightmare scenario.

A retractable 60,000 seat stadium would ensure sellouts, even with the inevitable price increases.

I also honestly believe that the dome would be open for 80% of Bills home games.

Tailgating is going to die, unfortunately, but it is unchangeable. It has to with the modern NFL economics. It sucks, but it is what it is. And if it has to be, then at least with a retractable dome we'd get football under the sky, instead of some sterile indoor version of it.
                              retractable stadiums are never open.

I was invited to a retractable dome stadium for an NFL game. I was visiting family in arizona they took me to a cardinals game. It was in november, it was 78F no wind, not a cloud in the sky. The dome was not open. If you won't open the dome on that type of day you'll never open the dome. Retractable domes just add an extra B to the price of a stadium and never get used.

I want an outdoor stadium with natural grass field, put it off a major thoroughfare like the 190 or 290. I'd like it on the waterfront but even off of the Erie Canal in NT would be pretty cool (you'd have to improve the roads to a NT stadium though). there is lots of real estate in the city something like this could be put. Put it in cheektowaga off the 290/90 interchange. lots of easy access around there and plenty of open space. It doesn't HAVE to be part of a waterfront rehab project. If you put it on the waterfront you'll have to kill the skyway (finally) which would make putting it on the waterfront worth it if only to do that.

I can live with a dome. I wouldn't like it, but i could live with it. I just don't want them wasting their $$ on a retractable dome monstrosity.
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • May 2009

Downtown dome stadium or no new stadium at all. I want to sit in a nice climate controlled place.

Comment

Working...
                                X