X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

I ask because I actually like the guy, BUT he built this OL and it was his decision to bring Hackett from college who had zero NFL experience as a coordinator. Those mistakes are big enough to cost a job IMO.

Our OL cost us games this year plain and simple. In fact this thread should also address whether Whaley should stay since he was clueless to think Chris Williams and no REAL plan at RG and RT were a solution for a team desperate for playoffs.

IMO both should go. And I say that with a lot of reluctance but I'm done with emotional views as a fan.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

No

Comment

• DynaPaul
      • Sep 2003

Yes but only if he hires a real offensive coordinator.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Yes, he and Whaley definitely deserve to stay at least one more year.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Seriously, management is going to look at it like this team has improved under Marrone in his two years here. There is something to be said about continuity as well. Dunno who exactly would score enough points with this QB situation and o-line.

Taking a step back, I'd bet money that Marrone stays no matter what anybody says. A new guy wouldn't necessarily be an improvement, either.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I think the entire staff stays, except for Pat Morris.

Same goes for the Front Office.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              I think the entire staff stays, except for Pat Morris.

Same goes for the Front Office.
              The current FO will fawn and scrape and the new owner has no basis to decide, so they will stay. The coaching staff will also stay - I don't know this Pat Morris.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                Legendary Zoner
                • May 2009

No. Doug Moron does not deserve to be a head coach for the Buffalo Bills next year.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

woo wooo chugga chugga

thats the marrone express steaming into town at least one more year

next stop: whotf knows
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                    The current FO will fawn and scrape and the new owner has no basis to decide, so they will stay. The coaching staff will also stay - I don't know this Pat Morris.
                    OL Coach
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

We don't have a viable QB on the roster, Marrone's pick failed.

Most of the OL talent was already here when Marrone took the job, Gailey and Joe D worked miracles with guys like Pears and Urbik, unfortunately that hasn't been the case with this staff. OL is a combo of bad personnel decisions by the FO and coaching not getting the most out of the existing talent, something the last staff managed to do.

Here's an overlooked aspect of hiring new coordinators and OL coach, it's hard to do when others see you as a lame duck coach. Why hop on board a staff that may not be coaching a year from now? QB situation will be the same next year and its going to take a lot of money in FA to fix this OL. Marrone's in a tough spot, even if he wants to make changes he may not be able to hire capable coaches.
                      Last edited by kingJofNYC; 12-22-2014, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Crisis
                        • Aug 2004

What does Marrone even do for this team? The defense is all Jim Schwartz, I doubt Marrone does much of anything there. He's donea good job bringing in good DC's , but he's an offense guy and this team's offense is historically bad. He's a former OL coach and our OL is the worst in the league. The amount of stupid penalties this team has taken is way up under him as well, so there's not even discipline from our players.

I mean seriously, what's the point of keeping Marrone? The only positive skill I can take from the guy in his two years here is that he's good at hiring DCs.

I'm not a Gailey fan, but at least he was an offensive guy who got players on offense to overachieve. We actually looked like a competent NFL offense with mediocre talent on that side of the ball, and Marrone/Hackett are doing less with more.
                        Last edited by Crisis; 12-22-2014, 12:26 AM.
                        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                        Vanek is Austrian not European
                        Originally posted by Prov401
                        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                        Originally posted by better days
                        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                          • Sep 2009

Think you bring up a good point Crisis. We have good talent on D, any capable DC can get a lot out of that unit, and Marrone did a good job getting capable coaches on that side of the ball, something Gailey failed to do. On the flip side, Marrone's offensive players have regressed considerably since taking over and I think it's fair to say we have more talent on O than Gailey ever did.

Under Marrone we traded Steve Johnson away in order to bring Mike Williams, a guy that wasn't utilized after the Texans game. Spiller stunk the joint up in this system. EJ was thrown to the wolves, no QB coach year one, no sitting and learning, just go out and play rookie. Admittedly, that's not all on Marrone, front office did a poor job getting vets in here to play in front of EJ. They had no business drafting him in the first, pressure to play first round selections.

Our OL is a complete mess and our OL draft selections haven't made much of an impact on the field, Henderson aside but he basically played replacement level football. And our WRs have talent but it doesn't really matter when you don't have a capable QB or run game to take pressure off the receivers.

Bottom line, our O is worse than ever under Marrone, and it won't be much better next year unless drastic changes our made to the OL and QB position.

Comment

• pmoon6
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

Seriously, management is going to look at it like this team has improved under Marrone in his two years here. There is something to be said about continuity as well. Dunno who exactly would score enough points with this QB situation and o-line.

Taking a step back, I'd bet money that Marrone stays no matter what anybody says. A new guy wouldn't necessarily be an improvement, either.
                            But..but ..but...we can go out and get Bill Cowher!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

They have embraced mediocrity for 50 + years.

Why stop now, when a golden opportunity to improve with a new owner and a fresh vision is available ?

Just trot out the same, lame Offense and feature the D in all your marketing. 6-8 wins is what we expect for eternity.

A new OL coach, fresh lip service, maybe some pretty flowers outside the stadium...that should do it. ~ Brandon
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X