• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Stranger
    • Sep 2002

Re: Does Marrone Deserve to Stay

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I think the entire staff stays, except for Pat Morris.

Same goes for the Front Office.
    You are probably correct in this regard. I hope Marrone has the guts to do so.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
      Marrone technically deserves to stay, the entire offensive and special teams staff deserves to be shown the door.
      We were much better on ST this year than last, top 10 in DVOA. We were **** yesterday however.

I'm not worried about losing Schwartz, he won't get another HC job this soon.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
        So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.
        I agree with what you are saying to an extent but too much is just not good or gotten worse under Marrone.

QB position
        OL that can't block on run plays, pass plays or screens -- Glenn, Urbik and Wood were all good at this previously -- why not keep Pears at RT and Urbik at G. Henderson was bad all year he just got help and when he didn't he was bad. Mack had a breakout game against him and they never figured out to give him help on that side. `

He chose a OC that was not qualified

He benched players that could have helped us

Our offense has no solution AT ALL to somewhat overcome our bad OL -- how can he not devise something together with the OC that can help move the offense? We weren't playing against the Seattle D yesterday. The answer was obvious. Protect against mack with double and triple teams and throw downfield against a weak secondary with the time Orton will have in the pocket.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lone Stranger View Post
          You are probably correct in this regard. I hope Marrone has the guts to do so.
          So the only guy to be held accountable for the offensive mess is a lowly OL coach who was working with junk?

Comment

• kingJofNYC
            • Sep 2009

If Marrone stays, which OC comes here? To work with what QB? Marrone's looking like a lame duck, hard to hire a quality OC when you're the least desirable spot.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
              So the only guy to be held accountable for the offensive mess is a lowly OL coach who was working with junk?
              It's called a scapegoat for a reason...

Also some of these same players weren't junk under previous coaching staffs. Something here isn't adding up.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

I still think Hackett stays. Pat Morris, the OL Coach, will be the casualty and possibly Tyrone Wheatley (RB Coach) as well.

I think the biggest worry right now is that somebody goes after Schwartz for a HC gig in the off-season.
                This is what you believe should happen or what you think will happen?

Morris is the last guy to go IMO. Marrone and Hackett shat the bed more than he did. Even Whaley has a heavy hand in the destruction of the offense.

Let's examine our defense.. who chose our best players...

KW, MW, Dareus, trade for Hughes, Bradham, Gilmore, McKelvin, Aaron Williams, Searcy, --> none of those were chosen by the Marrone/Whaley combo... Kiko, Brown were only two guys drafted by our current guys

Our D has been led entirely by two very good DC.

On the other hand our O has gone from bad to worse under Marrone, personnel has gotten worse and play calling has been shocking at best. So wondering how this current regime has brought any improvement? Our D that another GM built is the reason we have 8 wins. Our O which is supposed to be the area of expertise of our HC has been a disaster.

As an example --> Rex Ryan always has good defenses and since Payton has been in NO from day one he had a good offense. For those guys it makes sense to keep them and improve the other side of the ball.
                Last edited by Mahdi; 12-22-2014, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                  So, if a unit plays well, it's because of the coordinator and another doesn't, it's the HC. I disliked some of the play calling, but you have to hold some of the players accountable. The O-Line constantly missed blocks in both the running game and the passing game. You had a rookie at RT and sub par guards, so it's no wonder that our running game fizzled even with Fred Jackson, who was obviously not 100% after the injury. I'm not a C.J fan, he seems to go down too easy despite making an occasional game breaking play. How long has the O-Line been playing together again? That unit specifically takes time to develop.

Forgive me if I don't put much credence in Bills' Fans assessment of coaches. They rode Gilbride out on a rail (not really a fan of his) and then he goes on to win two Super Bowls with the Giants.

A coach is only as good as his players. We need better pass protection and a couple of nasty guards.....and a QB. You think Adam Gates or Josh McDaniels are great OCs'? No, they are successful because of their players and QBs'.

Bottom line is all this complaining is part of the Modern American psyche. Don't get what you want immediately and the crying begins. Don't make the playoffs after two years of a new HC and program and off with their heads. Constant turnover has been one of our problems, but let's keep doing it until we win the SB within two years of a new regime. We can go into the psychological aspects of the modern NFL fan, but that would require too much time.

Shame really.

I doubt any of you would be employed if you were but under a microscope by a bunch of people that know nothing about your profession except for wins and losses.

Results, Kemosabe. Improvement and competitiveness mean nothing. If our gladiators don't win in the arena, there must be something terribly wrong.
                  Well, I blame the Coaching & scheme more than the players for the OL failure this year.

Even guys like Glenn & Wood had bad years this year & we have seen both of them play very well when Chan was HC.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

how about this angle on marrone

do people actually think he didnt have a part in drafting EJ? lol he was the head coach when we drafted EJ!!!! i guarantee he had some form of input on drafting EJ.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      As long as Whaley understands it's not "his team".

Marrone and Hackett are both vanilla, Schwart2 is spicy. I really wonder what the dynamic between Schwart2 and Marrone is like. I bet Schwart2 has to hold his tongue a bunch...
                      I don't remember which game it was, but on a 4th & short play there was a sideline shot of Schwartz & Marrone.

You could see Schwartz saying to Marrone "go for it". Marrone punted instead.

Yesterday, the Bills were behind & faced 4th & one yd at about midfield. Again Marrone punted.

A short time later, the Raiders were in the same situation & went for it, picking up the first down.

I see the Bills finishing 8-8 & IMO that is no improvement at all. I want Marrone fired.

Comment

• cookie G
                        • Mar 2003

It's called a scapegoat for a reason...

Also some of these same players weren't junk under previous coaching staffs. Something here isn't adding up.
                        Their limitations were recognised and covered by previous coaching staff and their previous QB. They didn't give up many sacks because they had a QB who rarely held the ball for more than 2 seconds.

They had a play caller who was far better at keeping a team off balance in the run game, who knew what misdirection meant, and knew how to set up a D.

As far as something not adding up...who was it that made some of these decisions on how to use people? Was it Morris or Marrone?

For instance, the move of Pears to guard.

He's not a guard, never was, never will be. He's a guy that would get bowled back by smaller DE's when he played tackle, but had one thing going for him...he could at least get in someone's way long enough for Fitz to get rid of the ball. But having the power to hold off bigger DL's is not, and never was an area of strength with him.

And yet, he was moved to guard.

Who made the call?

Doug Marrone came away from Erik Pears' first game at right guard pleased, and seems set on his starting offensive line heading into Week 1.

That really sounds like Marrone making the call. I could be wrong..I'm not in the meetings...but I have a hard time believing he'd let his OL coach overrule him in a decision like that. And he also doesn't sound like he's covering for someone else's decision.

Morris has a long track record of producing lines with a very good running game, even if you ignore the Adrian Peterson years in Minny.

Hackett...well...he has no track record...and has shown some inexcusable deficiencies in calling a running game.

You want to make Morris the scapegoat fine...

but this offense doesn't get better if the people running it are left intact.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                          If Marrone stays, which OC comes here? To work with what QB? Marrone's looking like a lame duck, hard to hire a quality OC when you're the least desirable spot.
                          This is a great point.

And just one more reason Marrone should be fired.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                            how about this angle on marrone

do people actually think he didnt have a part in drafting EJ? lol he was the head coach when we drafted EJ!!!! i guarantee he had some form of input on drafting EJ.
                            Judging by the fact Whaley went out and traded for Mike Williams who obviously Marrone still has problems with from Syracuse days makes me wonder how much input Marrone has on any of the personnel.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
                              What does Marrone even do for this team?
                              First off, he has gotten us this close to a playoff. Something that NO coach has done in 15 years. I know almost doesn't count but are you willing to go back to 5-6 wins and another rebuilding year with a new HC?

2nd Freddie J says they like playing for him.

He deserves 1 more year just like Gailey and Jauron.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                                • Jul 2002

Why exactly do we want to give Schwartz another shot at HC after his team basically self destructed and quit on him in Detroit?
                                until further notice , Schwartz = Greg Williams.

Awesome DC's not meant to be Head coaches.
                                sacrifice1
                                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                                X