Marone: Blame me not Hackett for offensive struggles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Marone: Blame me not Hackett for offensive struggles.

Firing Hackett won't change a thing

The Bills have eight wins and one of the best defenses in the league, which makes it pretty obvious where the blame will lie should they fail to find a door into the playoffs over the next two weeks.

It’s the offense, obviously, and head coach Doug Marrone tried to head off criticism of offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett for that unit’s shortcomings on Thursday. Marrone said that blame should be on him for “anything that happens” with the football team and said that Hackett has been dealt a tough hand when asked about what he’d discuss with Hackett after the season.

“Those are things that I would talk with Nathaniel about,” Marrone said, via ESPN.com. “[When] we go through a process after the season, like everybody knows, we’ll sit down and talk. It’s been two years now. We’ve gone through, I don’t know, how many quarterbacks that we’ve played. We’re playing with a quarterback that wasn’t in our training camp. I think all of those things are pretty big challenges when you’re trying to get things going from an offensive standpoint.”

The Bills have eight wins and one of the best defenses in the league, which makes it pretty obvious where the blame will lie should they fail to find a door into the playoffs over the next two weeks.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Marone: Blame me not Hackett for offensive struggles.

"I don't know, how many quarterbacks that we've played. We're playing with a quarterback that wasn't in our training camp"

It's a legit excuse but it looks like he's preparing to throw it all on the QB. Marone and Hackett make bad QB's worse! Having Orton in training camp wouldn't have changed a damn thing for the positive. He would of just been captain checkdown jr right from the start instead of waiting a few weeks to become an EJ clone!

Comment

• DynaPaul
      • Sep 2003

Sticking up for his butt buddy I see. Biggest priority is to fix the O-Line.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
        "I don't know, how many quarterbacks that we've played. We're playing with a quarterback that wasn't in our training camp"

It's a legit excuse but it looks like he's preparing to throw it all on the QB. Marone and Hackett make bad QB's worse! Having Orton in training camp wouldn't have changed a damn thing for the positive. He would of just been captain checkdown jr right from the start instead of waiting a few weeks to become an EJ clone!
        It was Marrone's decision to go with a QB that was not in TC.

Marrone & his entire offensive staff should be fired IMO.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

And yes Doug, I do blame you.

I blame you for being way too conservative.

I blame you for not playing GOOD players like Mike Williams.

But most of all I blame you for hiring Hackett, who is in way over his head.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

If he really said that, then perhaps he should be let go, despite reaching .500 for the first time in light years.

I would like to see a Bills Coach that's honest and decisive about their team's needs.

We haven't had that since Levy.

At least Marv cut Walt Corey loose when he needed to.
            Last edited by Historian; 12-26-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

I truly believe that after the year is over the decision will be made to keep Whaley, and Marrone around. Marrone will get free reign to decide if he wants to make any coaching changes and I think the only two he's going to possibly change are Morris (OL) and Wheatley (RB).

In 2015 we're going to have Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett in a make it or break it year.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                If he really said that, then perhaps he should be let go, despite reaching .500 for the first time in light years.

I would like to see a Bills Coach that's honest and decisive about their team's needs.

We haven't had that since Levy.

At least Marv cut Walt Corey loose when he needed to.
                YES, Marrone really did say that on WGR.

And with any kind of offense at all this team should have made the playoffs.

8-8 is no accomplishment with this defense. It is total failure.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  I truly believe that after the year is over the decision will be made to keep Whaley, and Marrone around. Marrone will get free reign to decide if he wants to make any coaching changes and I think the only two he's going to possibly change are Morris (OL) and Wheatley (RB).

In 2015 we're going to have Whaley, Marrone, and Hackett in a make it or break it year.
                  You may be right, but I hope you are wrong.

If you are right, I expect Marrone & company to break it, NOT make it.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post

Apparently Bucky Gleason (?) -- not sure on the name, I don't read all the local Bills' media -- has an article claiming there is significant tension between Whaley and Marrone that has exacerbated over the season. The columnist speculates that one of them will leave and surmises it will be Whaley.

I have no idea if there is much reality behind this, but if Pegula chooses Marrone over Whaley, I will be livid.

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

If someone offered me an OC position and the offense consisted of two guards named Urbik and Pears and a QB named Manuel... I'd be asking what's the plan for replacing these players before I moved forward.

That being said... I'm not opposed to bringing an a seasoned OC to compliment what we are doing on the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
                        Apparently Bucky Gleason (?) -- not sure on the name, I don't read all the local Bills' media -- has an article claiming there is significant tension between Whaley and Marrone that has exacerbated over the season. The columnist speculates that one of them will leave and surmises it will be Whaley.

I have no idea if there is much reality behind this, but if Pegula chooses Marrone over Whaley, I will be livid.
                        why?

without Marrone we wouldn't have even had Orton to bail us out.

whaley is a linebacking scout.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                          why?

Funny.

I think he's better than that. I think he's upgraded the roster in a significant way.
                          The offense needs a lot of work; that is obvious. I'd rather give Whaley the benefit of the doubt than Marrone.
                          I'm not going to argue too much over this. Where I have expertise, I'll argue. It isn't really football, so I go with my impressions and what I can understand as an outsider.
                          I hate the offensive playcalling. Marrone seems stubborn to me about personnel.
                          I still think EJ can develop into a solid qb. Sue me.

I would spend money and bring in Iupati and draft Todd Gurley. I actually think that would improve the offense, even with everything else staying the same.
                          Anyway, I'm not crazy about Marrone and Hackett. If Pegula wants to stay the course, okay,
                          If he chooses Marrone over Whaley, I would be unhappy. If you're okay with it, good for you.
                          I don't mind a difference of opinion. I only dislike the posters who are plain idiots and mean to boot.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

We are blaming you. That is why you, Mr Marrone, and the whole coaching staff and GM office MUST be fired ASAP!!

Mr. Pagula...PLEASE get a real football GM in here and start building a REAL NFL football organization in Buffalo.

Comment

• notacon
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                              why?

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Orton did not "bail us out", he sucks. The whole QB debacle is squarely on Marone's back.

He needs to GO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X