• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-31-2015, 04:31 PM.

• Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

So who would you have started? If you say Cassel after saying dink and dunk won't win games I'm gonna have to smack you!

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

TT will just moves the chains until the redzone and then run them all in.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
        So who would you have started? If you say Cassel after saying dink and dunk won't win games I'm gonna have to smack you!
        Probably EJ. Not because I'm an EJ lover; I'm not. But because he showed us he can throw TD's and pass downfield. Is he great? Not even close. But he at least showed progress.

I honestly have no data to pull from with Tyrod. I dont know if defenses will respect our passing game. My guess is that they will send heavy pressure and stack the box. And Tyrod hasn't shown me that he can throw his way to a win.

You can't run the ball every single game. Not going to happen. We have to be able to throw to wins sometimes. I just haven't seen that from Tyrod.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
          Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
          No doubt he's a risk, I just hope Rex keeps him on a short chain unlike what he did in NY with Sanchez/Geno.

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

the lack of throwing TD's doesn't worry me, at least not right now..

For example, on his 1st TD drive, it was almost all passing. He took them down to the 7 and they ran it in. I don't really care how the ball gets in teh endzone, as long as it gets there. He's been producing TD drives when he's on the field.

As far as getting the ball to his playmakers...he seems to have a knack for finding the receiver with separation and who is on the move..and he is hitting him in stride. If he plays like that, there are going to be opportinities for YAC.

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Guy has a live arm, laser-sharp accuracy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...me-to-Thompson), and hasn't made the big mistake yet. What else would you want?

It's not like EJ has established himself as a deep ball QB anyway, though he's improved this year.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

If I had confidence at all that EJ could continue to play like he has so far (I'll take one unbelievably bad bounce pass per game in trade for a QBR of 146 and >1 TD per game any Sunday, every Sunday) I'd be there also...but I don't.

Taylor is not only going to have to start looking downfield, but eventually he's going to have to start hitting those consistently, otherwise he's simply Cassel with wheels.

It's not like most NFL defenses don't know how to keep a runner in the pocket.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sudzy
                  • Apr 2013

That's funny because I a huge fan of EJ on the bench

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    No doubt he's a risk, I just hope Rex keeps him on a short chain unlike what he did in NY with Sanchez/Geno.
                    i agree and who is your relief pitcher for tyrod? EJ i hope

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                      the lack of throwing TD's doesn't worry me, at least not right now..

For example, on his 1st TD drive, it was almost all passing. He took them down to the 7 and they ran it in. I don't really care how the ball gets in teh endzone, as long as it gets there. He's been producing TD drives when he's on the field.

As far as getting the ball to his playmakers...he seems to have a knack for finding the receiver with separation and who is on the move..and he is hitting him in stride. If he plays like that, there are going to be opportinities for YAC.
                      But can he throw over the top of a defense in the middle of the field or throw a long pass that isn't down the sidelines? That's one thing EJ did demonstrate he could do albeit it was against backups except in the Steelers game. Also am worried that Tyrod didn't complete many passes inside the twenty. Little things I picked up on that worry me. As if Tyrod can fit the ball in tight windows inside the twenty teams will gear up to stop the run and maybe lead us to get 3 points vs 7 which ultimately impacts a game. I'll let Tyrod prove me wrong as he did enough against Pittsburgh that he should be starting but it doesn't mean am still not worried by some of his limitations.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                        i agree and who is your relief pitcher for tyrod? EJ i hope
                        EJ to me is the most complete QB we have on the roster so yeah he's my 2nd string QB.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

None of these guys are good downfield but Tyrod is at least explosive everywhere else.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

How does anyone know that Tyrod is dink or dunk or the next Brett Favre when hes.never played in regular season?
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                              How does anyone know that Tyrod is dink or dunk or the next Brett Favre when hes.never played in regular season?
                              He did play in the regular season and it was ugly and prior to this preseason most of his preseasons were non memorable. I posted it before but RJ has more NFL experience than Tyrod came coming in and played a whole lot better in the preseason. I'm hoping Tyrod proves the exception and not the rule but think he might be on the bench by Week 3 if we're not at least 1-1.

Comment

Working...
                              X