• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Not a big fan of starting Tyrod

I'm fine with it. Will see what happens when he has a few games under his belt.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

I'm not sure if you watched the games but we really didn't game plan that much and basically killed our opponent's defenses. TT put the Bills in a position to score on almost every drive and the O-line gave him time, so where any of this negative stuff is coming from is beyond me.

EJ / TT have basically the best combined QBR ratings in the league, don't know what else you need to see we're better than advertised right now on offense.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
        He did play in the regular season and it was ugly and prior to this preseason most of his preseasons were non memorable. I posted it before but RJ has more NFL experience than Tyrod came coming in and played a whole lot better in the preseason. I'm hoping Tyrod proves the exception and not the rule but think he might be on the bench by Week 3 if we're not at least 1-1.
        You think his body of work or lack thereof is enough to know what kind of qb he is?

Trentative Edwards or Rob Johnson weren't dink and dunk qbs after even after 10 games. That's more experience than what Tyrod has and yet no one knew what kind of qbs they'd turn out to be after 10 games. EJ was a scared qb last year who looked like he was on the way to being the next trent/Robosack and didn't look it this year.

My point is that there isn't enough data to know that Tyrod will dink and dunk or be a gunslinger.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• sahlensguy
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
          Guy has a live arm, laser-sharp accuracy (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...me-to-Thompson), and hasn't made the big mistake yet. What else would you want?

It's not like EJ has established himself as a deep ball QB anyway, though he's improved this year.
          Nice clip. The memories of EJ throwing that pass out of bounds still haunt me.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
            Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
            Just curious: were you really, really drunk during preseason games? I saw Taylor nail all kinds of throws downfield. It was Matt Cassell who struggled to get the ball past the line of scrimmage.
            Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 08-31-2015, 08:30 PM.
            10 Commandments of the D
            1. Never stop Rocking.
            2. Legalize all drugs.
            3. Quit your day job.
            4. All Religion should be taxed.
            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
            6. F**k her gently.
            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Why?

We have one of the best young WR threats in Sammy Watkins, a rock solid WR in Robert Woods, a playmaking downfield threat in Percy Harvin, and you signed a receiving TE threat to a monster contract in Charles Clay...

Yet we're starting a QB who doesn't throw downfield and hasn't thrown a TD in the NFL ever?

Dink and dunk won't win games. Points do. Run heavy? sure. But defenses simply stack the box.

If you want a legit playoff contender you have to be able to score through the air as well. I don't need Tyrod to be a stud passer. But he has to show he can at least throw to our WR weapons in the intermediate to long routes and throw TD's in the red zone.

This move potentially makes our offense one dimensional, limited in the pass game, and possibly easier to defend against.

I hope to hell he throws well and averages 2 TD's a game. I'm rooting for him but this move seems risky to me.
              I understand what you're saying, but this is what they intended to do in Hiring Ryan/Roman, getting Incognito, drafting Miller, signing Felton and trading for McCoy, adding Mulligan, drafting Karlos Williams and Ryan saying we're going to run 50 times a game if we can.

You can't really fault Taylor, Cassel, Manuel or even Simms for being running game QB's not intended to pass much.

Taylor is at least not crazylegs take off type, has some pocket discipline and ability to ready defenses, looks relatively accurate when he does pass, and, sadly, adds a dimension to the beloved running game.

He'll surely get concussed and we'll be sorry but at least we took the most dynamic maybe who won't do well, but might make people excited a while thinking we got a bargain Russell Wilson.
              Last edited by Mace; 08-31-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

preseason is meaningless but ty and ej had close to perfect preseasons so far. ty was shooting lasers but manuel was the flaming torrent of productivity. if i made up their numbers beforehand you would say no freakin way. you literally almost couldnt ask for better

tyvm matt for trying out but we are moving in another direction. heres another hat and banner, theres the exit, you dont have to go home but you cant stay here. shoo. you go way now
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                  preseason is meaningless but ty and ej had close to perfect preseasons so far. ty was shooting lasers but manuel was the flaming torrent of productivity. if i made up their numbers beforehand you would say no freakin way. you literally almost couldnt ask for better

tyvm matt for trying out but we are moving in another direction. heres another hat and banner, theres the exit, you dont have to go home but you cant stay here. shoo. you go way now
                  I dunno, I've been a big Manuel booster of maybe but he still looked one play on, three plays iffy to me. He made some good throws against scrubs, and looked uncertain against some scrubs too, I don't know that ends well in regular season without a bunch of accurate 3 yard panic dumpoffs or getting a receiver damaged with an ill timed throw behind him too many times, and again, I like Manuel.

Comment

• Cleve
                    • Oct 2004

Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                      • Mar 2004

he hasn't even started a game yet besides but once in the preseason.

i liked what i saw when he was out there i think he won the job and im

excited to see what he can do week one.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        • May 2009

Why?

So, you're not a fan of winning?

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Cleve View Post
                          So how many other NFL teams have acquired a backup QB from another team, said team not really interested in keeping him, and then molded him into a playoff game winning machine?
                          Rob Johnson? Drew Bledsoe?

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                            • Jul 2002

Sixth round draft pick by Baltimore. Minimal regular season stats to date despite 4 years with the Ravens, and what there is isn't all that pretty (199 yards, 47.2 rating).

You can't keep a backup QB after his rookie contract is up, so your "said team not really interested in keeping him" is total nonsense. Denver & the Bills both wanted Tyrod.
                            For the record, HOFers Brett Favre & Steve Young were backups acquired from another team. Drew Brees was a UFA who went from SD to NO, as did Peyton Manning from Ind to Den. Jim Plunkett went from the scrap heap to Super Bowl winning QB, and Kurt Warner bounced around before & after winning the Super Bowl & led Arizona to another one & just missed winning it. Had enough, or do I need to add Doug Williams coming off the bench & leading Washington to a championship.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                              • Sep 2012

The last playoff game I can see won by a QB that was previously a different team's backup is from 2012: Houston (Matt Schaub) over Cincinnati.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Swiper
                                • Sep 2010

None?

Yet how many times have the Bills tried it? Holcolmb, Nall, T. Jackson, Kolb, etc, etc, etc.... OBD never learns.

Russ Brandon is still the common thread to all this craptastic QBing.
                                Last edited by swiper; 09-01-2015, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X