So Roman simplified read for Tyrod in the Dolphins game ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: So Roman simplified read for Tyrod in the Dolphins game ...

you gotta be kidding

tyrod isnt ready to be put with the best qbs in the league who you can say see the whole field but cmon, hes been finding guys way past one read every game hes played

theres probably some truth to what the author was pointing out, but to say the game has to be simplified for him is silly
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
      Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      Sounds like the players are getting something this team hasn't had in 15 + years.

Coaching with successfull adjustments.
      Agree. If a coach can't adjust, he shouldn't expect his qb to read.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
        As his time here goes on, I become more and more impressed with Greg Roman.
        Can you imagine if we still had Nate Hackett?

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

I think some are over-looking the fact that all QB's make pre-snap reads based on the defenses formation, movement, etc, (well, they should be) so none are really 'one-read' guys. Good ones know where they are going with the ball before it is even snapped and function as a 'one read' anyway. The better ones know the offense well enough to go to a second or third 'read' if they ****ed up the pre-snap read.

If Taylor has the ability to read a pre-snap well enough to get rid of the ball successfully on one read post-snap on a consistent basis I'm really OK with that.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

I think it's lost on everyone that it was a 5 point game with 4 minutes left with the Pats. Rex got everyone over fired which Marv did many times in big games.

Tyrod doesn't need the offense dumbed down. Coaches needed to adjust and they did.

Tyrod is going to be a Superstar in this league.

The Giants play a very similar gameplan to the Pats. Let's see if the Bills adjust correctly.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by HHURRICANE View Post
              .....Tyrod is going to be a Superstar in this league.
              I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• Fixxxer
                • Jul 2002

I think the gameplan going into this game was flawless regardless of reads on some of the plays. We started the game with misdirection and the Phins had no answers for it and then Roman put Taylor on some easy spots for him to exploit the cracks on the Phins D. We hit first and the defense did the rest against a team that lacks identity at this point.

Execution is very important, always, but Roman is an OC smart enough to beat teams with gameplan and schemes. Against the top dogs, players will have more say in the outcome of games.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                  I couldn't agree more.
                  just like Michael Vick and RG III he will.

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

Im not so sure Roman's plan was done to simplify reads for Taylor as it was to cause confusion for the Fins. He was doing a great job of creating flow one way and isolating a single area.

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman devised a brilliant plan that included a mixture of short, intermediate and long throws for which the Dolphins’ defense was woefully unprepared. He called no long drop-back passes on the first drive to, as Ryan said, “see if they could get in Ndamukong Suh’s head a little bit and the outside rushers.” Roman created coverage mismatches everywhere. He moved Taylor around, allowing him to still be highly effective from the pocket despite the Dolphins’ strategy of keeping him contained and daring him to beat them with his arm.

“Just keeping the Dolphins on their heels,” Robert Woods said. “We caused a lot of confusion. You get the defense talking” to each other “and snap it while they’re talking.”

“Such a creative mind,” Clay, a former Dolphin, said of Roman. “Whatever he says, we believe.”

Center Eric Wood is in his seventh season with the Bills. He and long snapper Garrison Sanborn have been on the team the same amount of time, experiencing much more failure than success.

It’s only three games, but they sense that something might very well be changing in that regard. And it’s the quick starts that the offense has had the past two weeks that is giving them that feeling.

“Garrison came up to me after the game and said those opening drives in the last two games were the most impressive he’s seen, especially back-to-back,” Wood said. “So that was fun.”

The offensive playcalling wasn't designed so much to find a weakness in teh D, but to create one.

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Head coach in waiting.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

The most important take away from this is to watch how Roman is able to evolve the offense over the course of the season. He gets enormous credit for putting Taylor in a position to win but good defensive coordinators can figure out simplified offenses and take advantage. I expect Roman to incrementally evolve the Bills offensive complexity as Taylor gets more comfortable.

Feels nice to have such an intelligent and forward thinking OC.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                          Im not so sure Roman's plan was done to simplify reads for Taylor as it was to cause confusion for the Fins. He was doing a great job of creating flow one way and isolating a single area.

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman devised a brilliant plan that included a mixture of short, intermediate and long throws for which the Dolphins’ defense was woefully unprepared. He called no long drop-back passes on the first drive to, as Ryan said, “see if they could get in Ndamukong Suh’s head a little bit and the outside rushers.” Roman created coverage mismatches everywhere. He moved Taylor around, allowing him to still be highly effective from the pocket despite the Dolphins’ strategy of keeping him contained and daring him to beat them with his arm.

“Just keeping the Dolphins on their heels,” Robert Woods said. “We caused a lot of confusion. You get the defense talking” to each other “and snap it while they’re talking.”

“Such a creative mind,” Clay, a former Dolphin, said of Roman. “Whatever he says, we believe.”

Center Eric Wood is in his seventh season with the Bills. He and long snapper Garrison Sanborn have been on the team the same amount of time, experiencing much more failure than success.

It’s only three games, but they sense that something might very well be changing in that regard. And it’s the quick starts that the offense has had the past two weeks that is giving them that feeling.

“Garrison came up to me after the game and said those opening drives in the last two games were the most impressive he’s seen, especially back-to-back,” Wood said. “So that was fun.”

The offensive playcalling wasn't designed so much to find a weakness in teh D, but to create one.
                          This is an important note because offenses designed to create mismatches are very difficult to stop defensively. Roman was extremely effective with this at SF.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                            So we have a short RGIII. A guy that can make one read?
                            that's not what I've seen. I don't think anyone who watched the fins game could possibly come to that conclusion. They ran only a handful of zone-read plays, they ran a lot of play action, which, across the league VASTLY simplifies the QB's reads (basically they watch the MLB and/or Edge Rusher and/or Safety, usually 2 of those depending on the play), they did a lot of moving pockets to reduce the pass rush, which is a time honored tactic used against strong pass rushes throughout league history, it also cuts down on the number of possible reads for the QB, which is what the author is talking about. It was a comprehensive gameplan built around limiting the passrush while exploiting the weak fins secondary.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                              Can you imagine if we still had Nate Hackett?

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                                Maybe?
                                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                                Head coach in waiting.
                                Pegula needs to back up the money truck and try to keep that from happening for at least a good 3 more years. T

Comment

Working...
                                X