X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Whaley started the internet on fire today

A question about Sammy Watkins, who is recovering from a broken foot, made Bills GM Doug Whaley turn philosophical about the sport he’s involved in. “This is the game of football,&#8221…

"A question about Sammy Watkins, who is recovering from a broken foot, made Bills GM Doug Whaley turn philosophical about the sport he's involved in.

"This is the game of football," Whaley told WGR 550 radio on Tuesday. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Whaley started the internet on fire today

He should be fired immediately- not for expressing an opinion but because he's willing to make millions off something he doesn't believe people should be doing. It's a complete lack of ethics.

Oh wait- Russ Brandon's his boss.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Victor7
      • Jul 2013

This guy it just too much.

This is like a McDonalds top employee going on national TV and saying "Don't eat the food it ain't healthy!"

What a moron. And this is the guy that runs our teams ladies and gents.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

This organization is just getting more bizarre by the day.

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

This guy is an idiot. I was in his corner but no more.

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

The pressure is on these idiots. They had better produce this season or they all should be fired. And if Pegula doesn't pull the trigger then he is on the hot seat too.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
              The pressure is on these idiots. They had better produce this season or they all should be fired. And if Pegula doesn't pull the trigger then he is on the hot seat too.
              That was the problem with Ralph. The owner can't be on the hot seat.... He learned with the Sabres but it was a slow process. Hopefully he'll come around eventually with the Bills
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

THE NATIONAL GUARD HAS BEEN ACTIVATED !

A lot of dumb things have been said at OBD today. Captain Obvious says hi.

But the drama queens here are far more entertaining.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Humans were not designed to play football.

I totally agree.

Humans weren't designed to go 250 mph, skydive, fly, climb Mount Everest, drink a half bottle of scotch, or eat fast food either but people still do it.

That's why people love football. It's dangerous and fun.

Playing in the NFL is something that ordinary people can't do.

The NFL is full of extraordinary athletes, the best in the world.

I'm glad Whaley lit the internet on fire today, because the news cycle has been quite boring lately and this NFL off season has been nothing much to talk about until now.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                    Humans were not designed to play football.

I totally agree.

Humans weren't designed to go 250 mph, skydive, fly, climb Mount Everest, drink a half bottle of scotch, or eat fast food either but people still do it.

That's why people love football. It's dangerous and fun.

Playing in the NFL is something that ordinary people can't do.

The NFL is full of extraordinary athletes, the best in the world.

I'm glad Whaley lit the internet on fire today, because the news cycle has been quite boring lately and this NFL off season has been nothing much to talk about until now.
                    Rams moving, Brady suspension, Johnny Football, the concussion stuff, two big pre draft trades... This offseason has been more exciting than most.

And you're right about all those things humans weren't meant to do. What makes Whaley a scumbag is that he makes so much money off it while admitting humans weren't meant to do it. He's ok with people ****ing up their lives for our entertainment as long as he's making a buck off of it.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                      • Dec 2015

Back when I was in college, one of the guys I lived with was a former football player. He couldn't go for runs, because football had done too much harm to his knees. There were some other things he couldn't do either. And that's just the effect on a guy who'd played high school football only. Imagine the effect on guys who go on to play in college, and then in the NFL. You look at the price Johnny Unitas paid in terms of football injuries which never fully healed after retirement.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play football. I love playing football myself! But we have to be realistic about the fact that the human body wasn't designed to withstand the beating football inflicts. And I think that's what Whaley meant when he said that people aren't supposed to play football.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a Whaley fan. The Bills won't win the Super Bowl until after the they've found a new GM. But in this particular instance, I don't think he deserves to be castigated for having spoken an unpleasant truth.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        And you're right about all those things humans weren't meant to do. What makes Whaley a scumbag is that he makes so much money off it while admitting humans weren't meant to do it. He's ok with people ****ing up their lives for our entertainment as long as he's making a buck off of it.
                        This is what bugged me the most about the comment. Whaley is a pretty bright guy...he gave up a really good job on Wall St. after playing at a pretty big time college football program to join the Stillers staff and has worked his way up to the GM of the Bills. I'm guessing any and all of us would take that job. And he could get back into the financial sector if he is this adverse to the idea of letting people play football.

I'm not a Tea Bagger, Fake Tough Guy, Rush Limbo listener that thinks any safety precaution that the NFL takes to help players is the "sissification of 'Merica." Too many ex-players are seriously ****ed up from the game and if some rule changes are implemented that improves their well being, I'm all for it. Bare knuckle Boxing matches used to go 74 rounds and guys died in the ring. 8oz. gloves and 12 round Championship bouts didn't make Boxing into figure skating, ballroom dancing, or golf.
                        Last edited by Scumbag College; 05-24-2016, 07:48 PM.
                        Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Arm of Harm View Post
                          Back when I was in college, one of the guys I lived with was a former football player. He couldn't go for runs, because football had done too much harm to his knees. There were some other things he couldn't do either. And that's just the effect on a guy who'd played high school football only. Imagine the effect on guys who go on to play in college, and then in the NFL. You look at the price Johnny Unitas paid in terms of football injuries which never fully healed after retirement.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play football. I love playing football myself! But we have to be realistic about the fact that the human body wasn't designed to withstand the beating football inflicts. And I think that's what Whaley meant when he said that people aren't supposed to play football.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a Whaley fan. The Bills won't win the Super Bowl until after the they've found a new GM. But in this particular instance, I don't think he deserves to be castigated for having spoken an unpleasant truth.
                          the problem isn't that he spoke an unpleasant truth. The problem is that he understands the unpleasant truth but chooses to make money off of it anyway. If he had any moral compass, the unpleasant truth would have compelled him into another line of work.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

He should be fired immediately- not for expressing an opinion but because he's willing to make millions off something he doesn't believe people should be doing. It's a complete lack of ethics.

Oh wait- Russ Brandon's his boss.
                            Er...the team sells out year after year. Let's not feign indignity...
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

the problem isn't that he spoke an unpleasant truth. The problem is that he understands the unpleasant truth but chooses to make money off of it anyway. If he had any moral compass, the unpleasant truth would have compelled him into another line of work.
                              The only problem is yours, and how you chose to take what he said...and then project all this crap.

He was not wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X