• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Shaw Lawson update...

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
    The Patriots have exactly TWO players left from that 2008 team, and they are both Special Teams players...not including Brady, of course. I don't know how many coaches remain, but probably not too many.

Today's Patriots roster isn't nearly as good as it was back then. That 2007 team was probably the best one I've ever seen, or close enough to it. That carried over into 2008 when Brady got hurt.Saying the Patriots beat us without Brady in 2008 means nothing in relation to this year's matchup. Why totally ignore the fact that the Bills beat the Pats with Jimmy Garoppolo at QB recently? It means just as much.

I don't think that anyone in their right mind is going to say that anyone in the AFC East has gained ground on the Pats at this point, even with Brady missing four games. They are still odds-on favorites to win the Super Bowl. But I think the Bills have a fair shot of beating them in week 4 without Brady. That's about as far as I'd go with that. Wish that game was to take place in Buffalo...
    Great point. And Brady played the first half of that game. And that team was a lot more talented than the one the Cheaters have now.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Re: Shaq Lawson update...

I'm ignoring that fact because it's tainted. It was more than just Brady who was resting and the Patriots were more concerned with being healthy for their playoff game while the Bills were desperate to get their first ever win in Foxboro. That game meant everything to the Bills and nothing to the Patriots. It's not even remotely comparable to a game where both teams need a W equally.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

You can make any excuse you want but that's what happened the last time the Bills faced the Cheaters without Brady, for a half.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          I'm ignoring that fact because it's tainted. It was more than just Brady who was resting and the Patriots were more concerned with being healthy for their playoff game while the Bills were desperate to get their first ever win in Foxboro. That game meant everything to the Bills and nothing to the Patriots. It's not even remotely comparable to a game where both teams need a W equally.
          So why not also ignore that the Patriots beat the Bills in 2008, since only the kicker and gunner on Special teams remain from that squad?

This is my point.

How does that even remotely compare to this year's matchup? The Titans had the best record in the NFL in 2008, so I guess everyone has to watch their sweet ass about them this year too, right?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

So why not also ignore that the Patriots beat the Bills in 2008, since only the kicker and gunner on Special teams remain from that squad?

This is my point.

How does that even remotely compare to this year's matchup? The Titans had the best record in the NFL in 2008, so I guess everyone has to watch their sweet ass about them this year too, right?
            Because the Patriots have demonstrated the ability to overcome injuries time and time again. When they need a win, they get one far more often than not, regardless of who's not playing.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Because the Patriots have demonstrated the ability to overcome injuries time and time again. When they need a win, they get one far more often than not, regardless of who's not playing.
              Absolute fact.

In the 16 years of the Belichick NE regime, they have suffered only one losing season - his first, back in 2000.

Checkout the New England Patriots Records, Top 12 Leaders, League Ranks, history and more on Pro-Football-Reference.com
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

That's because they have Tom Brady.

Don't bring up 2008 again unless you want to finally address my post (#90) in this thread. Don't make me repeat myself.

Belichick is not a wizard. A great coach, but not a wizard. Do you you think that he can turn ANY NFL roster into a winner? He's never made the playoffs without Brady.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

That's because they have Tom Brady.

Don't bring up 2008 again unless you want to finally address my post (#90) in this thread. Don't make me repeat myself.

Belichick is not a wizard. A great coach, but not a wizard. Do you you think that he can turn ANY NFL roster into a winner? He's never made the playoffs without Brady.
                  Before Bellicheck, Brady was nothing. He was a 6th round draft pick who spent most of his college days riding the pine behind Drew ****ing Henson. So, I wouldn't say he can get any NFL roster into the playoffs. But he sure as hell can make a good run with his current roster minus Brady for 4 games.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

This is my point.

Good point. ,I'm amazed the Bills actually beat them last year!

Before Bellicheck, Brady was nothing. He was a 6th round draft pick who spent most of his college days riding the pine behind Drew ****ing Henson. So, I wouldn't say he can get any NFL roster into the playoffs. But he sure as hell can make a good run with his current roster minus Brady for 4 games.
                    Before Brady, Belichick, who was a SB-winning DC, was a sub-.500 head coach who couldn't even get the Cheaters to .500 the year he took over, when they were 8-8 the year before, and that was with a former 1st round QB in Drew Bledsoe. They even started the 2001 season 0-2 before Brady took over thanks to Bledsoe almost dying on the field, whereas before he was an ironman. Needless to say, they got uber lucky with Brady and haven't been able to draft/develop anyone close to him, or even anyone good (Cassel eked out a few good seasons). Garooolopppoollo hasn't looked too good to date, even though he was a 2nd rounder (drafted much higher than Brady was so that means he should turn out better, right?), so you can't even reasonably say that he'll be anywhere as good as Cassel was with a loaded offense in 2008, until proven otherwise.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      Did you mean "quiet?" Spelling has never been all that important to Republicans. Like taking care of their neighbors in need.
                      Yes I meant quiet. Phone does thatball the time and Im too lazy to proof read my posts. And I wouldnt know that because Im not a republican.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

Before Bellicheck, Brady was nothing. He was a 6th round draft pick who spent most of his college days riding the pine behind Drew ****ing Henson.
                        That's right, and Brady probably would have been riding the pine behind a different Drew in New England had Bledsoe not gotten hurt in the 2nd game in 2001. Drew Bledsoe had just signed the biggest contract in NFL history that very offseason, so it's not like some mastermind recognized Brady's potential, or anyone had a sliver of intention to start him anytime soon. Belichick lucked into Brady in other words. I didn't see any magic wand.

How did Belichick do with his first round QB picks in his five years in Cleveland, or with Bledsoe?

If you have a point, you should make it. Do you think that Belichick magically created Brady on his own or something? remember tat Belichick is historically a DEFENSIVE coach.

So, I wouldn't say he can get any NFL roster into the playoffs. But he sure as hell can make a good run with his current roster minus Brady for 4 games.
                        I agree, and have said as much already. Most people agree with that.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

If the NFL actually gave a **** about the integrity of the game this century, we wouldn't be having this conversation about Brady, Belichek and the Patriots.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

That's right, and Brady probably would have been riding the pine behind a different Drew in New England had Bledsoe not gotten hurt in the 2nd game in 2001. Drew Bledsoe had just signed the biggest contract in NFL history that very offseason, so it's not like some mastermind recognized Brady's potential, or anyone had a sliver of intention to start him anytime soon. Belichick lucked into Brady in other words. I didn't see any magic wand.

How did Belichick do with his first round QB picks in his five years in Cleveland, or with Bledsoe?

If you have a point, you should make it. Do you think that Belichick magically created Brady on his own or something? remember tat Belichick is historically a DEFENSIVE coach.
                            Belicheat had nothing to do with Brady. He didn't draft him, he didn't develop him, and like you said, it took an injury to Bledsoe to get him into the lineup.

Speaking of which, Brady must have sold his soul to the devil. Bledsoe had only missed 2 games until then and probably would have been back starting if he had just missed a few games. But great point about them giving Bledsoe a huge contract before that season because they had no idea what they had in Brady.

Lastly I'll reiterate that you can't claim that just because Matt Cassel took the team to 11-5 in 2008, that Jimmy Garrroopppoolllo can do it. Cassel actually made a Pro Bowl after that. Garroopppoollloo is a nobody until proven otherwise.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                              Belicheat had nothing to do with Brady. He didn't draft him, he didn't develop him, and like you said, it took an injury to Bledsoe to get him into the lineup.

Speaking of which, Brady must have sold his soul to the devil. Bledsoe had only missed 2 games until then and probably would have been back starting if he had just missed a few games. But great point about them giving Bledsoe a huge contract before that season because they had no idea what they had in Brady.

Lastly I'll reiterate that you can't claim that just because Matt Cassel took the team to 11-5 in 2008, that Jimmy Garrroopppoolllo can do it. Cassel actually made a Pro Bowl after that. Garroopppoollloo is a nobody until proven otherwise.
                              He did find a roster spot as a rookie for Brady though, as the 4th string qb. That's not nothing!

Comment

• OpIv37
                                Acid Douching Asswipe
                                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post

In '08, Matt Cassel was a nobody until proven otherwise.

Since he's been with the Patriots, Bellicheck has had to work with unknown QB's twice: Brady and Cassel. We all know the results.

And you keep saying this year's Patriots aren't like '08, but then you bring up Bellicheck's record with the Browns. The Patriots are one of the best-run orgs in the league and the Browns are one of the worst. The Patriots aren't like the Browns. So take your pick- either past performance means something or it doesn't. You can't pick and choose when it counts.
                                MiKiDo Facebook
                                MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                                X