• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swiper
    • Sep 2010

Re: CB Gilmore To Play Out Final Year

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
    You have a cap on expenses. Throwing money at dbs rarely works. You have to draft dbs well and you need depth in the secondary. But you need your captains and your difference maker in the pass rush and run defense. If you do that well, pretty much any zone will bail you out.
    and then factor in random pass interference, why put $14-16mm into a guy whose most plays will be determined by the refs?
    The importance of CBs has changed starkly over recent years due to NFL rules changes.

Comment

• jimmifli
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
      I wonder where the Jarius Byrd fanboys are, these days...
      Still cheering for a team that doesn't make good personnel decisions and hasn't made the playoffs since 1999.

Comment

• DesertFox24
        • Jul 2005

Here is my feeling. I love Gilmore and I think he is a good player. I got my masters degree at South Carolina so have been a fan of his since college days.

The problem is he is not the best corner in the game. I would pay him 13 to 14 million but if he wants more than that then let him test free agency to see if he can get it or If leaving for a few extra million is worth it. The Ravens and steelers do this all the time. They have great relationship with the agents and they say look this is our offer please let us know if you are getting something else. We would like to keep you and want you to feel like you got best offer so see what best offer is and we will let you know if we can match.

That is how we need to approach this I just do not see anyone paying Gilmore 15 or even 14 a year. I say let him test an allow us to match because we want you but we also want you to feel like you got a good deal.

Comment

• DesertFox24
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mdcas22 View Post
          I think you make a decent offer and if he doesn't sign let him go and draft a couple in 2017 but not in round 1, maybe round 2 and after. this way you keep the salary cap down at the position, every 4 years you have to have a rookie cb that can push for a starting position. isn't that the belicheck way?
          Heck cbs and qbs and pass rush need to be drafted every year in my humble opinion. At the min a CB and pass rusher

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            You've got to jazz it up then.

Craptique.

Crapolicious.

Dandy Crap.

Like that.

You are correct Sir BowellTM.

I never thought of that.

I am knee deep in thought and you are elbow deep in ass.

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

Oh and regarding Darby in 4 years I think that is another reason bills may consider letting Gilmore go. Darby may actually be better than Gilmore this year will be the determining factor in that. Also Gilmore has missed several games and availability is another aspect in getting big time money.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

So next year, CB will be a position of need on top of all the positions we didn't address this year and whatever new issues arise during the season.

Our 15 year anniversary is coming up this Jan. There hasn't been a Bills playoff game since we met. I have a bad feeling I'll be posting about our 20th before I'm posting about a Bills playoff game.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

I would love to keep both. The cap is getting to point where we should be able to keep more good players than we lose. But then again you also get teams that pay stupid money and is messes it up for everyone else.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    So next year, CB will be a position of need on top of all the positions we didn't address this year and whatever new issues arise during the season.

Our 15 year anniversary is coming up this Jan. There hasn't been a Bills playoff game since we met. I have a bad feeling I'll be posting about our 20th before I'm posting about a Bills playoff game.
                    Well I know your mantra is doom and gloom but at some point the team has to be let guys go.

Let's say tyrod plays like a franchise guy and we pay him and have the option of paying Gilmore now and losing Sammy or letting Gilmore walk and locking up Sammy.

What do you do.

The reason we have sucked has to do with the qb position so even if tyrod sucks and we resign Gilmore it is not going to matter.

I want us to sign Gilmore I really do and I love the guy but he has not won us a game

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Good one, Opi !!!
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                        • Feb 2009

So next year, CB will be a position of need
                        You're anger over Gilmore leaving is a bit puzzling considering you have called Gilmore overrated and a average CB as recently as last year

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                          • Feb 2009

Cant blame the Bills for not giving Gilmore the $15 million a year he was reported to be looking for... $12 to $13 million a year with $25 million guaranteed seems reasonable

Any bills fan who thinks Gilmore is a average CB is nuts.. PPF had him as the 10th best CB in 2015

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                            You're anger over Gilmore leaving is a bit puzzling considering you have called Gilmore overrated and a average CB as recently as last year
                            The FO creating holes isn't about me. Who do we have that's equal or better? Letting a guy walk rather than overpaying him is one thing. It's actually something that this team is pretty good at. Finding a replacement that's equal or better- not so much.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

show me a team that has been successful with a great secondary and no rush and no big name linebackers? the bills seem to consistently findCB's in the draft.

Comment

• coastal
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Mar 2005

Why is Doug Whaley the GM?

because he's of no threat to Russ Brandon.

Comment

Working...
                                X