• Show
Clear All
  • gebobs
    One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
    • Sep 2003

Re: Sabres acquire rights to Vesey for 3rd Rounder in 2016

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Why?

Schultz - Edmonton is not in British Columbia... It's in Alberta. Vancouver would be hometown team.
    Hayes - Obviously the Rangers are not in Boston
    Bozak - Saskatchewan would consider Edmonton or Winepeg as hometowns before Toronto
    Krug - How do you consider a Michigan native calling Boston hometown.

That tells me 80% of that list signed outside of their hometown influence.

And actually... Mike Reily was born in Chicago. Can you say Blackhawks?

Your Score: 100%
    Bozak: Some Canadian teams have wide ranging and inter-regional fanbases. Certainly, the Leafs and the Habs. There are probably as many Leafs fans as senators fans in Ottawa. It's not any more surprising to find Leaf fans in Vancouver as it is to find native Buffalonians who are die-hard Raiders fans. He was never drafted.

Reilly: Yes, he was born in Chicago but he bled Gopher maroon and gold. He grew up in Minnesota and played his entire amateur career there (with the exception of one year playing Junior A in BC). Went to Minnesota like his two older brothers and his father. At any rate, no surprise he didn't want to go to Columbus. Does Buffalo have enough to attract Vesey? I wonder.

Schultz: Drafted by Anaheim but they couldn't sign him. He was courted by 26 teams but the Oilers sent Gretzky and Coffey to woo him. Though Kelowna is closest to Vancouver, at the time he was growing up, the Canucks sucked.

Hayes: He was probably a Bs fan growing up. Drafted by Chicago and didn't want to get buried there. Apparently, he was swayed to sign with NY by former mate Chris Kreider. Chicago got a compensatory pick for him. Any chance we get one? Wouldn't be much I guess since he was a 3rd rounder.

Krug: Can't imagine that he was a Bruins fan.

Score...
    Definite homers: Reilly
    Not homers: Krug, Hayes
    Who knows: Bozak and Schultz

There's hope yet.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

Now that makes a lot more sense gebobs than drawing the conclusion that it's a done deal for Boston.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
        • Aug 2012

Are we not including dekeyser?
        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
          • Aug 2012

Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            my post was 176. and swiper is assuming that kids just want to play for their hometown team. that's what fans want.

kids who are groomed to play professional hockey have worn a lot of jerseys and have gotten over the fan aspect of it. I think they respect the NHL team they rooted for. but if he is immature and just wants to play for his hometown team, his advisors should be tipping off the fact that money is equal at all the team with his entry level contract.

he needs to put himself in a situation where he can make money at RFA time or Unrestrictred FA time. Being in boston at this time is a gamble. perhaps he wants to take that. but Toronto, buffalo and Chicago has more star power, more chance to be viewed as a key cog and more likely to get a bigger payout than a team that listlessly seems to be moving along. his stats should look better on the other 3 teams.
            That is what you want. That is not what he wants. He said as much. But you just keep dreaming stuff up that makes you happy.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

I like the gamble of trading a 3rd rounder to have him talk to us a couple times without being rushed.

Still, I went to rookie camp a couple weeks ago and saw Bailey, Carrier and Baptiste playing like they could make a serious push for a spot on the Sabres. Vesey would be another nice addition but 20 some goals at Harvard and playing in the NHL is night and day. Offer him the max entry deal and a nice bonus and let him pick his team. They did their best.

I could care less what the media heads have to say. If he picks another team, the Sabres didn't "Fail".

Let them cry. Perspective. I like the teams direction.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                I like the gamble of trading a 3rd rounder to have him talk to us a couple times without being rushed.

Still, I went to rookie camp a couple weeks ago and saw Bailey, Carrier and Baptiste playing like they could make a serious push for a spot on the Sabres. Vesey would be another nice addition but 20 some goals at Harvard and playing in the NHL is night and day. Offer him the max entry deal and a nice bonus and let him pick his team. They did their best.

I could care less what the media heads have to say. If he picks another team, the Sabres didn't "Fail".

Let them cry. Perspective. I like the teams direction.
                Agree. I don't think anyone thinks the Sabres failed in taking this shot. It's a good gamble to take. While he clearly likes the idea of playing for Boston, he's no doubt using it (or trying to) as a bargaining chip. So I don't think it's a definite "no." But he's keeping his cards close to his vest. Personally I can wait a couple of weeks.

He sounds sincere in his want to play with Boston. Other people here are dreaming up esoteric reasons why he won't sign there. If the money is equal in all places, as it likely will be, there is little reason to think he won't sign with Boston. I'm sure they're telling him he will be used as a cornerstone to rebuilding the team to a power house. Whether he buys it is another thing. But it will be sold that way.

In any case I think this was a good gamble by Murray.

Comment

• gebobs
                  One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  Vesey would be another nice addition but 20 some goals at Harvard and playing in the NHL is night and day.
                  32 goals. That's a lot for college.

By comparison, Eichel (only a freshman though) had 24. Drury had a few 30 goal seasons. Oates had one 30 goal year. St. Louis's best year was 29.

Former Sabre Mike Donnelly holds the NCAA record with 59. He had a few nice seasons late in his career playing with Wayne and Luc in LA and then quickly faded away.
                  Last edited by gebobs; 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM.
                  Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

On the Buffalo Sabres …

Matthew Sekeres: Hearing that the Sabres willingness to trade Evander Kane could depend on whether they are able to sign Jimmy Vesey.
                    LINK

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                      32 goals. That's a lot for college.

By comparison, Eichel (only a freshman though) had 24. Drury had a few 30 goal seasons. Oates had one 30 goal year. St. Louis's best year was 29.

Former Sabre Mike Donnelly holds the NCAA record with 59. He had a few nice seasons late in his career playing with Wayne and Luc in LA and then quickly faded away.
                      One has to wonder what eichel would have done with another season in boston...
                      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: The Bruins have about $66 million committed towards the cap, and could they be looking to build some space for Jimmy Vesey when he becomes a free agent in mid-August?

Vesey will have a $925,000 base salary, but potentially up to $2.85 million in performance bonuses. Teams like the Bruins will be cautious with their salary cap ceilings as they may not want to risk bonus overages for next season.
                        LINK

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          Same deal as panarinennenenne
                          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

posted on 07/29:

Matthew Coller on ESPN: The Sabres made their best efforts to sign Jimmy Vesey, but he still plans on becoming a free agent on August 15th. The list of interested teams won’t be short. With all teams offering likely offering the same entry-level deal, it will come down to which teams make the best sales pitch. Will Vesey be looking to win sooner than later? Coller looks at Vesey’s short-list and Wild cards, selling points and drawbacks.

Short List:
                            Buffalo Sabres

Toronto Maple Leafs
                            • Selling point: The future
                            • Drawback: Pressure

Boston Bruins
                            • Selling point: Hometown
                            • Drawback: Closing window to win

New York Rangers
                            • Selling point: Star power
                            • Drawback: Cup chances

Chicago Blackhawks
                            • Selling point: Stanley Cup(s)
                            • Drawback: Cap troubles

Coller picks the Blackhawks as the most likely landing spot for Vesey from the ‘short list.’

Wild Cards: Pittsburgh Penguins, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, Los Angeles Kings and Edmonton Oilers. Coller picks the Penguins from the list of ‘wild card’ teams.

Jimmy Murphy: “The better the #Preds get, the more I think Jimmy Vesey already knew what team he wanted to play for when he decided to opt out of Nashville … Regarding last tweet on Vesey, yes he can change his mind, but to leave a team with a great present and future must mean he had mind set.”
                            NHL Rumors - Look at 'short list' and 'wild card' teams in on Jimmy Vesey. Washington Capitals and Dmitry Orlov continue talks. NY Islanders Q&A
                            Last edited by swiper; 07-30-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Two weeks. Sounds like Chicago & Boston in front of Buffalo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                                • Oct 2011

I heard we had a snowballs chance but that was from someone on here, personally speaking he goes home go Boston to talk chowder.

Comment

Working...
                                X