• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Cutting McCoy?

Bills running back LeSean McCoy created a stir on social media with a tweet that "Buffalo was so special . . . thanks for everything."

After explaining how this TWEET was misinterpreted, this article goes on to suggest the Bills may cut McCoy b/c he costs too much. He is the only star on the team. How would you feel if they cut McCoy and kept Taylor (and his contract)?

McCoy has a salary of $6 million and a cap number of $8.875 million in 2017. Those numbers have sparked speculation that the next coaching staff may decide to move on from him. Cutting him would result in a cap charge of $7.875 million; that amount could be spread over two years with a post-June 1 release.

Two years ago, the Eagles decided to move on from McCoy, ostensibly because his east-west style didn’t mesh with Chip Kelly’s one-cut zone running scheme. New offensive coordinator Rick Dennison uses a system that employs one-cut zone running. (Last year, McCoy thrived once Anthony Lynn became the offensive coordinator, installing running plays that gave McCoy options to hit an inside hole or bounce outside.)

So while Sunday’s tweet isn’t a goodbye, there’s still a chance that farewell is coming. If it happens, plenty of other teams will be line up to give McCoy an enthusiastic hello.
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Cutting McCoy?

If the Bills learned one thing from Anthony Lynn it should be they have to adapt to what opens up holes best for McCoy. Don't go back to trying to pound square pegs into round holes (as this article suggests they may do).
    Last edited by swiper; 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Cut our best player. Awesome. When playing, the guy lays out to the max.

Connecting dots also works in psychiatric care.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

The idea was originally brought up a couple of weeks ago, well before the tweet...

YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• k-oneputt
          • Jun 2009

I wouldn't like it but it wouldn't shock me either if it happened.

Comment

• sudzy
            • Apr 2013

This team only has a few things going for it, McCoy happens to be one of the big ones. You would think the "geniuses" that run this team would bring someone in that could utilize those things.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Why cut him?

Unless you plan on being active in FA to replace the dollars or you're going full out tank mode.

Doesn't make sense to let him go at this juncture. You need a star of some sort to keep people interested in the games. And starting Gillislee doesn't scream "excitement"

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                • Jul 2002

I'm going to start a rumor on Twitter that the Patriots are cutting Brady & some idiot would write an article that there are rumors the Patriots are cutting Brady.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                  I'm going to start a rumor on Twitter that the Patriots are cutting Brady & some idiot would write an article that there are rumors the Patriots are cutting Brady.
                  The only difference is one organization has a history of making stupid, cost-saving moves and one does not.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

I'm ok with cutting him.

2 years ago Williams and Gillisee proved this year that we would be fine without him.

Dime a dozen position you don't need to pay.

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      The only difference is one organization has a history of making stupid, cost-saving moves and one does not.
                      The Pegulas do not have that history, though. They are running the show now.

This is not hockey, where teams might deliberately tank. Different ball-game, as they say.

To me, flat-out cutting McCoy would be idiotic in every respect. I'd be surprised and disappointed if that we're to happen...I don't think it will....

Comment

• feldspar
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post

What took you is long . I was waiting to hear you say that again...

I couldn't disagree any more.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          I'm ok with cutting him.

2 years ago Williams and Gillisee proved this year that we would be fine without him.

While I do agree with this, McCoy is the only true star on this team at this time. He is the entire offense since there's a dumpster fire at QB and if you release McCoy combined with going with a rookie or NFL journeyman QB there is zero reason to watch the Bills offense let alone be excited by anything on it.

If this team had a real QB than cutting McCoy for caps savings or even trading him would make sense...with the state of the Bills team and their inability to really make it much better in the offseason it doesn't make sense to let him go.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                            • Aug 2012

The tank would be in full effect

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

To do what with the money?

Comment

Working...