X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

I like the trades a lot!

After having my "wtf" moment which was deserved watching my phone click at work with "Watkins traded, Darby traded" I have to say that the Bills pulled off two solid trades.

Let's be honest, Sammy Watkins was never really a great fit here. I never saw the chemistry with the team. Matthews is a proven starter who is very popular with coaches and teammates. McDermott will love this guy and I think he'll make more impactful plays than Sammy. Getting a second rounder for a better fit sounds pretty good.

Darby was more of a shocker to me but obviously the coaching staff had concerns about his ability in a zone defense. With Gaines we get a solid player more suited to our defense and pick up a third rounder.

I'm not convinced the Bills took a step back and obviously have lots of depth for their future.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: I like the trades a lot!

We swapped out our question marks for somebody else's question marks and picked up a couple of draft choices to boot. I'm OK with that.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Being a "fit" is nice but teams still need talent and we definitely downgraded. There's a reason other teams were willing to give up their question marks PLUS draft picks for our question marks
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Oh let's not forget that both guys are on the last year of their contracts. So, if they are fits, we will need to find a way to pay them. If they aren't, we will need to replace them.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

Who says Darby was a question mark?

Comment

• kgun12
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            Being a "fit" is nice but teams still need talent and we definitely downgraded. There's a reason other teams were willing to give up their question marks PLUS draft picks for our question marks
            Jordan Matthews stats:

Year REC YDS AVG LNG TD
            2016 73 804 11.0 54 3
            2015 85 997 11.7 78 8
            2014 67 872 13.0 44 8

Total 225 2,673 11.9 78 19

Sammy Watkins Stats

2016 28 430 15.4 62 2
            2015 60 1,047 17.5 63 9
            2014 65 982 15.1 84 6

Total: 153 2,459 16.1 84 17

Pretty close and I would say the NFC East was tougher than the AFC East during the 3 year period?

No down grade there.
            Retired Air Traffic Controller
            USAF VETERAN
            DAV

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
              Jordan Matthews stats:

Year REC YDS AVG LNG TD
              2016 73 804 11.0 54 3
              2015 85 997 11.7 78 8
              2014 67 872 13.0 44 8

Total 225 2,673 11.9 78 19

Sammy Watkins Stats

2016 28 430 15.4 62 2
              2015 60 1,047 17.5 63 9
              2014 65 982 15.1 84 6

Total: 153 2,459 16.1 84 17

Pretty close and I would say the NFC East was tougher than the AFC East during the 3 year period?

No down grade there.
              Games played? I'm gonna guess Matthews played in a lot more to get similar totals.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                Games played? I'm gonna guess Matthews played in a lot more to get similar totals.
                That's exactly the point "games played". Do you know what the number one thing a major league pitchers job is? It's to log as many innings as possible. What good is the Ace of the team if he wins 5 games because he's hurt all the time. Can you say David Price?
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• The Toe Show
                  Perfect Toes Everytime!
                  • Sep 2012

THE TRADE WAS AWFUL.

An entire city is trying to rationalize it. But deep down you know, it was not good.

Here's what happened:
                  1. A first-time GM took calls from sharks (like Lee Snead)
                  2. Ran the numbers, and found it made sense ON PAPER
                  3. Sold it into his clueless boss (Pegula is in over his head) and first-time head coach (ready to stand down)
                  4. Neither said ****
                  5. GM makes the move, feels the thrill of exercising his power
                  6. Realizes the unintended consequences of his action, just when this picture is snapped:

Looks like a guy who has isolated himself.

"Football is a business" is what players say when **** that doesn't sit well happens. But it's not a business, it's people - a team, and according to McDermott, with his daily life story sessions, a brotherhood and family.

And then you cast your biggest best brother away.

If it was going to happen, it should have happened sooner. All this change the culture stuff had momentum and people were buying in, and learning to trust each other again. Then #beanebomb.

The brass of the team traded away their ability to be trusted, which I think will serve to haunt them long-term. The move was cold-blooded, and now every knows the re-launch of the Bills is a phony.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    Who says Darby was a question mark?
                    I did. He wasn't that good for most of last season, that coupled with the new staff/system makes him just as much of a ? as Sammy.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I would be stunned if Beane pulled both triggers completely on his own and McDermott wasn't part of the decision.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

We downgraded for sure.

For all the homers that think this was a dazzling piece of brilliance, can you explain to me why professional athlete would want to play for us?

Nobody likes having the rug pulled out from under them this close to the start of the season. You wanna make these moves, fine. But do it before players, especially veterans, commit to play here under false pretenses that we're going to be competitive.

No one's going to put forth any effort this season. And it's doubtful anyone will want to remain here if given the opportunity to leave and play for a franchise that isn't run into the ground year in year out.

These moves are going to repel players from ever wanting to come here. We look even more radioactive than usual.
                        Last edited by JoeMama; 08-12-2017, 02:09 PM.
                        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                          We downgraded for sure.

For all the homers that think this was a dazzling piece of brilliance, can you explain to me why professional athlete would want to play for us?

Nobody likes having the rug pulled out from under them this close to the start of the season. You wanna make these moves, fine. But do it before players, especially veterans, commit to play here under false pretenses that we're going to be competitive.

No one's going to put forth any effort this season. And it's doubtful anyone will want to remain here if given the opportunity to leave and play for a franchise that isn't run into the ground year in year out.

These moves are going to repel players from ever wanting to come here. We look even more radioactive than ever.
                          Are you serious, the Patriots have been trading good players for years, heck as soon as contract talk start looking like they are going to stall they trade them!

How many Super Bowls have they won? This is a business for FO's, fans are emotional , teams and players aren't.
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                            Are you serious, the Patriots have been trading good players for years, heck as soon as contract talk start looking like they are going to stall they trade them!

How many Super Bowls have they won? This is a business for FO's, fans are emotional , teams and players aren't.
                            LOL

When we have Tom Brady at QB and Bill Bellichick on the sidelines, you let me know. Their franchise can afford to do as they please. They remain an attractive place for professional athletes because you get to work with the greatest QB and HC of all time.

If you betray your players and your franchise is run like a garbage dump, you don't get that luxury.

We have literally nothing in common with the Patriots beyond the fact we're both NFL teams.
                            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Me too!!

Comment

Working...
                              X