• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: 2022-2023 Sabres Thread

This team is streaky. But it feels like the wheels have come off. I still feel like we are going in the right direction. They just aren’t there yet and the playoff drought will continue.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

Shots: Buffalo 41 Winnipeg 26

I'm sorry, but UPL is NOT a good goaltender. He gives up 3 to 4 goals a game. Throughout this whole game I kept saying to myself, how good would the Sabres be with a goaltender like Hellebuyck in net? A solid play-off team.

So, 3 lessons for Kevin Adams from losing this game:

1) get a real goaltender. You have money. We know you have struggled to get to the salary floor. Get a real goaltender.

2) 6' 5" Center Adam Lowry pounded on your puny, weak team. The Sabres are puny, and weak.

3) Get a center that wins face-offs. See: Mark Schiefle. The Sabres are the worst in the NHL.

When Thompson isn't scoring, this team goes dark. They have a losing record at home, 9-12-1, I think. Why do they win more on the road?

It's gotten to the point where there is too much focus, pressure on Tage Thompson. He's having trouble just playing his game. He needs the focus taken off of him. The way to do that is secondary scoring. Skinner is in a sudden drought. Mittelstadt never regained his "breakout" status before his injury. The kids went dark. Only Tuch, Olafsson, Cozens are sometimes scorers.

Granato likes Hinostroza. But he never scores. He reminds me of Brian Holzinger: fast, good hands, but doesn't score enough. Bye. Asplund too.
      Last edited by swiper; 01-13-2023, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

And back one game.

Matty Berniers is making a MUCH bigger contribution to his team than Owen Power is to his. Maybe we took the wrong guy? Power is big & talented, but plays far too timid. Where is the youth guru Granato to be fixing this? Power could be as dominant as Dahlin, if not more. He needs to find his confidence. Granato is supposed to be good at this. I don't see anything yet.
        Last edited by swiper; 01-13-2023, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
          This has been a ****ty week.
          Players hearing a lot of booing from the home crowd.

Okposo is a nice guy. Was a good complimentary player. Was. No other team in the league would make him captain. The Sabres need to go out and get a real captain. Someone who leads by scoring, winning face-offs and protecting his teammates when they take cheap shots. Okposo does none of that. Okposo has been a 3rd-4th line winger to play against the other teams #1 line for too many years here. He's about done.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

Powers play so far this season has been one of the biggest disappointments. He looked much better in his cameo last season. I still think he'll get it together. I remember thinking Dahlin was a disappointment.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Off just enough to lose games.
              UPL is 6-6 and should never be laying flat on the ice with a shot coming in from the point. If he just stands there, those hit him in the chest.
              Not clearing out traffic in front of our Goalie.
              Getting caught pinching deep and the opponent gets in constantly with 2 on 1 breaks.
              Faceoff % seems to be terrible. Lose a lot in their own end, which results in quick goals.

Fundamentals need a lot of work before dreaming of playoff games.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

There are things to like about this team, but I can't see playoffs happening. They're way too streaky and inconsistent.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mightysimi
                  Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                  • Mar 2010

Holy **** Hellebuyck is so good. Sabres had so many chances in close. When he is on, it is hard to beat him.

I thought it was going to come back to haunt us when Scheifele sailed the open net.

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    Off just enough to lose games.

Fundamentals need a lot of work before dreaming of playoff games.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                      Powers play so far this season has been one of the biggest disappointments. He looked much better in his cameo last season. I still think he'll get it together. I remember thinking Dahlin was a disappointment.
                      I agree with you. That's why I laughed at this and asked myself, "who the hell is writing this stuff? Because they're not really watching the Sabres play..."

Which new faces have provided the biggest lift for all 32 teams? Plus, a top-5 shuffle and a jump for Connor McDavid's Oilers.

Power will come around. I want to see him start playing with more confidence. Play like you belong on the ice with the other guys. He's not really doing that.

Comment

• swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                        Holy **** Hellebuyck is so good. Sabres had so many chances in close. When he is on, it is hard to beat him.

I thought it was going to come back to haunt us when Scheifele sailed the open net.
                        Granato said the Sabres had 30 scoring chances: LINK. As above, I wondered how good the Sabres would be right now with Hellebuyck as their goaltender. One can dream. The Sabres have a storied history of having good to great goaltending. So this is tough to watch right now.

Comment

• mightysimi
                          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by swiper View Post
                          Granato said the Sabres had 30 scoring chances: LINK. As above, I wondered how good the Sabres would be right now with Hellebuyck as their goaltender. One can dream. The Sabres have a storied history of having good to great goaltending. So this is tough to watch right now.
                          Tough to say, the last few years we gave up tons of high danger chances and it killed us even with an all world goalie. I do think being tops in offence and the bottom in d is probably a system thing unfortunately. Our high danger scoring chances went down when Maurice left town

Comment

• swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

FWIW. The Winnipeg Jets are for real. They beat the Sabres 4-2 on Thursday then went to Pittsburgh and beat the hated Penguins 4-1 one night later. Scheifele with 2 goals. That has become a much better team than when Tyler Myers was playing up there.

Comment

• swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

While off-topic for hockey, it is Winnipeg related. See the "...listening" to thread. RIP Robbie Bachman.

Comment

• Novacane
                                • Jul 2002

They need to win tonight. They can't have another long losing streak.

Comment

Working...
                                X