X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Beane End of the Season Presser

"Both lines were dominated" is noted against Cinci.

"Burrows is on his rookie deal; Chase is on his rookie deal. We are paying Diggs a hefty number; we are paying Josh a hefty number" is also mentioned.

"We are not going to go all in on one year", "I don't want to be in situation like 100 million over the cap in two years like some teams have to deal with."

I think OBD knows their pushing all-the-chips-to-the-middle years are over. It will be in the mode of drafting well, finding diamonds in low-cost FAs, hoping one of those years you hit one or two blue chips having career years to get them over the top.

This team is NOT going to have talent overwhelming teams like the Chiefs and the Bengals. The more likely scenario is that they peak at the right time like 2021 to get on a run and over those teams. Beane said at the beginning of the presser what we have seen: towards the end of the season, this team was barely finding a way to get by; we were not hitting on any (let alone on all) cylinders for offense and defense.
  • sahlensguy
    • Mar 2015

Re: Beane End of the Season Presser

Yawn

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
      • Mar 2004

They've never "pushed all of their chips to the middle".

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

"Both lines were dominated" is noted against Cinci.

"Burrows is on his rookie deal; Chase is on his rookie deal. We are paying Diggs a hefty number; we are paying Josh a hefty number" is also mentioned.

"We are not going to go all in on one year", "I don't want to be in situation like 100 million over the cap in two years like some teams have to deal with."

I think OBD knows their pushing all-the-chips-to-the-middle years are over. It will be in the mode of drafting well, finding diamonds in low-cost FAs, hoping one of those years you hit one or two blue chips having career years to get them over the top.

This team is NOT going to have talent overwhelming teams like the Chiefs and the Bengals. The more likely scenario is that they peak at the right time like 2021 to get on a run and over those teams. Beane said at the beginning of the presser what we have seen: towards the end of the season, this team was barely finding a way to get by; we were not hitting on any (let alone on all) cylinders for offense and defense.

So Cinci built a better team with less money!

Comment

• sahlensguy
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
          And less time/shots at the draft than Beane.

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

Hitting on Josh Allen has covered up a lot of poor drafting. I still give him credit for hitting on a QB that lots of people thought would bust. Burrow was a no brainer for Cinci but after QB they've obviously drafted better. Beane can't rest on Josh anymore.

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

Hitting on Josh Allen has covered up a lot of poor drafting. I still give him credit for hitting on a QB that lots of people thought would bust. Burrow was a no brainer for Cinci but after QB they've obviously drafted better. Beane can't rest on Josh anymore.
              Not just poor drafting and missing on who he picked, but Beane's overall drafting strategy of not building around Josh has been a failure.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

I read it pretty much the same way: "They have a better team and more cap space, so don't expect us to be able to catch them."
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  I read it pretty much the same way: "They have a better team and more cap space, so don't expect us to be able to catch them."
                  NO.

They have 2 franchise players still on rookie contracts. Burrow is going to get ultra paid this offseason or the next. Chase will be right behind him. That's what he's saying.

The only reason they were even in any position to get both of those guys is because they went 2-14 and 4-11-1.

You would have an absolute bird if the Bills got 6 wins in the next 2 seasons.
                  Last edited by Forward_Lateral; 01-25-2023, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    NO.

They have 2 franchise players still on rookie contracts. Burrow is going to get ultra paid this offseason or the next. Chase will be right behind him. That's what he's saying.

The only reason they were even in any position to get both of those guys is because they went 2-14 and 4-11-1.

You would have an absolute bird if the Bills got 6 wins in the next 2 seasons.

Their 2 franchise players are cheap (at least for now). Our two franchise players are expensive. Translation: at least for now, they have more cap space to put talent around those franchise guys than we do. That's just basic math. And your assumption of my reaction to a hypothetical event has nothing to do with it.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      Their 2 franchise players are cheap (at least for now). Our two franchise players are expensive. Translation: at least for now, they have more cap space to put talent around those franchise guys than we do. That's just basic math. And your assumption of my reaction to a hypothetical event has nothing to do with it.
                      Of course it's basic math. Beane was pointing out that he doesn't want the Bills to SUCK BAD ENOUGH to get a top pick. He was commenting on how the Bengals were A.) able to rebuild and B.) hit the bullseye twice.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

"I don't want to suck bad enough to have to get Ja'Marr Chase"

Well Beane...you may have come close if you didn't luck out on drafting Josh Allen.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                          We play to win the game!
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                          "I don't want to suck bad enough to have to get Ja'Marr Chase"

Well Beane...you may have come close if you didn't luck out on drafting Josh Allen.
                          Odell

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                            We play to win the game!
                            • Oct 2009

Jordan Addison, WR

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

The Bills remind me of Green Bay with Rodgers. GB was lucky enough to get 1 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X