Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For what it's worth, my choice for Bills next coach

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: For what it's worth, my choice for Bills next coach

gruden and matt barkley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bill O'Brien from Penn St. would be another good choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I want Tom Landry.

I get the thought process but given was Gruden was rumored to be offered at Tennessee the Bills won't come close and Gruden just turned down Tennessee.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by FunTimesYaY! View Post
    Chucky will likely coach in college before he coaches in the NFL again based on what I've heard.

Although I'd be surprised if he ever left his current media role.
    Gruden is an NFL coach, he loves the life. My guess would be he either ends up in San Diego (where he would have Rivers) or Philly (where he would have Vick).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,895 Times in 3,464 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I want Tom Landry.

I get the thought process but given was Gruden was rumored to be offered at Tennessee the Bills won't come close and Gruden just turned down Tennessee.
    He doesn't want a college job. The fact that he turned one down is irrelevant.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    Gruden is an NFL coach, he loves the life. My guess would be he either ends up in San Diego (where he would have Rivers) or Philly (where he would have Vick).
    Yes he is. I could see the attraction of SD with Rivers but Mike Vick looks broken to me. Andy Reid couldn't fix him, doubt Chuckie wants to try.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

if he loves the life, why has he been out of it for so long? There have been at least a dozen coaching changes since he's been out, maybe more.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That said, I think Gruden is only going to a team with a QB in place. He has said in interviews that if he decides to coach again he wants to be sure he has a QB. He says he doesn't think you can win in the NFL unless you have a good QB, and one of his regrets in Tampa was not finding that guy. He isn't going to take over Buffalo with Fitz at the helm.
    One more thing on this: SD is a likely exception but usually teams with good QB's aren't firing their HC, they sucked enough to need a new HC because they had less than stellar QB play. And Gruden won't be the only candidate looking for a job. There's only 32 of these positions and they're always huge interest in any opening. We will have something interesting to offer if we have a top 5 pick waiting.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    if he loves the life, why has he been out of it for so long? There have been at least a dozen coaching changes since he's been out, maybe more.
    He may have been a little burned out right after the firing and he got the soft TV gig, gave him the option to sit back and wait for the right situation. But I think he's got the itch again. We'll see.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sell Local Ralph View Post
    One more thing on this: SD is a likely exception but usually teams with good QB's aren't firing their HC, they sucked enough to need a new HC because they had less than stellar QB play. And Gruden won't be the only candidate looking for a job. There's only 32 of these positions and they're always huge interest in any opening. We will have something interesting to offer if we have a top 5 pick waiting.
    Well, I heard on Sirius the other day that there will most likely be 7 HC openings this offseason & thats not counting the Bills as one of the 7. How about Andy Reed?

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Gruden goes to Philly. But I would LOVE to have Gruden in Buffalo.

Offer him the whole farm. Totaly personnel decision powers and a truck load of money. We would have to pay him more than other places to get him here, but we got Mario the same way.

GO GET HIM.

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The people here that are asking for Reid need to give it a little more thought. The Eagles have Shady McCoy who is a stud back, Reid put the game in Vick's hands week after week, sound familiar?

13. Post thanked by:

colin (11-30-2012),YardRat (11-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yeah I agree with that, but it seems like Ralph's health has declined significantly over the past couple years, which makes me wonder how much he can really be involved anymore. It's my belief that guys like Nix and Brandon probably make regular courtesy calls to Ralph to keep him in the loop and what not, but he's not really making decisions. I imagine that just trying to get through a normal day could be pretty physically and mentally exhausting for him. I just can't really see him capable of being the meddling owner he used to be.

Who really knows what's going on though. At this point I'd much rather just get the new ownership process over with at this point, for better or worse, than think about going through another failed restructuring process.
    I said basically the same thing in another thread.

As it is now, we are in limbo. We will never win with the current ownership. So, let's just get with it because we are never going to get what we want with the status quo. Hopefully they keep the team in Buffalo with ownership that is committed to winning. If not, it will suck and the initial shock will be painful, but long term we will all be better off when we stop spending our time, money and energy on the crap we have now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He doesn't want a college job. The fact that he turned one down is irrelevant.
    Not true actually.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, I heard on Sirius the other day that there will most likely be 7 HC openings this offseason & thats not counting the Bills as one of the 7. How about Andy Reed?
    Andy Reid is a great coach. Having said that I think he needs a break. He went to work the day after his son committed suicide. That's not normal, although I'll grant you NFL coaches as a group are a differnt breed. But although I respect Reed as a coach I'd take a pass right now, he seems burned out to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true actually.
    Actually it is

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not true actually.
    What is not true? The fact Gruden does not want a College job, or that the fact he turned down Tenn is irrelevent?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As it is now, we are in limbo. We will never win with the current ownership. So, let's just get with it because we are never going to get what we want with the status quo. Hopefully they keep the team in Buffalo with ownership that is committed to winning. If not, it will suck and the initial shock will be painful, but long term we will all be better off when we stop spending our time, money and energy on the crap we have now.
    Ralph fell & broke a hip a while back. Nobody his age ever fully recovers from that. Other than the broken hip, he is reported to be in good health & mentally alert. Ralph could live another 7 years or longer.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah I used to wish that Ralph would find a way to live another 20 years because I figured as long as he was alive we didn't have to worry about the team leaving, but I'm over that. Whatever is going to happen will happen. A few extra years of what we've had recently really isn't worth anything. I'm just ready for all the uncertainty to be over with.

I'm pretty optimistic that we'll get a new ownership group that will keep the team in Buffalo and build a new stadium, but either way I'm just ready for things to be settled. I wish Ralph would just sell now.

20. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-30-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Actually it is
    No it's not. He was in pretty deep discussions with Tennessee and ideas of an offer were floated from both sides. Before a formal offer was made he decided it wasn't a good fit for him. It does not mean he has no interest in college.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    What is not true? The fact Gruden does not want a College job, or that the fact he turned down Tenn is irrelevent?
    That Gruden would not take a college job.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My first post. Hello all!!!! Seems like a great board, with some intelligent conversation, a far cry from the main board (BBMB) lol.

To the point of the thread:

I think you have the right family, just the wrong Gruden. I am a big advocate of Jay Gruden (Cincy OC). One of the real "up and comers" in this league, who has lead one of the youngest offenses in the league (and one of the most maligned franchises in the league) back to respectability in a very short time (not even 2 full seasons). His development of Andy Dalton has been absolutely amazing. I honestly could gush all day about Jay Gruden and how much respect I have for him and his offensive prowess, but this being my first post, I wont bore the masses.

As far as Jon goes, to me he is just meh. Decent coach, capable of getting above average play from his offensive unit, but has proven time and time again that he isnt very capable of grooming a QB. His entire reputation is built from the 2002 Tampa bay Bucs. That teams success was all about that suffocating defense, and was a team built by Tony Dungy. Besides, my inital impressions are that Gruden will end up in Cleveland coaching the Browns.

Another "dark horse" candidate of mine, and the guy that I would want if we couldnt land Jay Gruden is Charlie Strong HC at Louisville. Fantastic defensive mind, who you can also apply the "up and comer" title to. He may be too far outside of the box for Buffalo to consider, but I think he is going to be wildly successful when he gets his opportunity.

23. Post thanked by:

YardRat (11-30-2012)